Satnav SatNav POI - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11th March 2010, 09:28 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 CDTI EX
SatNav POI

I'm pretty sure the SatNav on the civic used to show POI (specifically the underground stations), but since i updated the satnav dvd from the V3.06 to V3.23, they've dissapeared and now i cant seem to find the option to add them in.
only POI that show are petrol stations.

anyone help me add them in, its the easiest way i find to navigate as i use the stations as guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 15th March 2010, 14:30 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

anyone know?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 19th March 2010, 19:24

YEs I am using 3.23 and all it is showing Petrol Stations and nothing else in the way of POI - What a let down from 3.01 that I was using....

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th March 2010, 11:03 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

good to know that i wasnt dreaming of seeing other POI on the satnav, been used to using a tom tom for the last 3-4 years
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th March 2010, 11:21
FWH
Supporter

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Over here stations were never included.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th March 2010, 11:45
My other woman is my CTR

Car: '59 CTR GT satnav/hft
When on the map screen just press in the nav button. Then it brings up options such as "north up". On here is "display POI" - press this option then you can select which types of POI you want on screen, including TMC alerts
Thanks to antmaz from:
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 20th March 2010, 12:04

Buy a TomTom. The Civic's sat nav is useless. It's well out of date even if you have purchased the latest. You can add all the POI's that you like on the TomTom (and other sat nav's)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 21st March 2010, 08:44
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
My problem with TT's is the trailing wires, having to remove and reinstall it and it not being fully integrated.

I know the built in unit is lacking in some areas but it's just so convenient and it's there from ignition turn on with a reliable TMC service.

But if you prefer TT's then go for it
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 21st March 2010, 11:21 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
My problem with TT's is the trailing wires, having to remove and reinstall it and it not being fully integrated.
i know thats the only thing i didnt like either, the annoything thing was even when the tom tom is off and not in use the battery drains so you have to plug the power cable in, i dont think theres hardly been a time where ive used it without the cable.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 21st March 2010, 11:31 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmaz View Post
When on the map screen just press in the nav button. Then it brings up options such as "north up". On here is "display POI" - press this option then you can select which types of POI you want on screen, including TMC alerts
thanks! thats the menu option i was looking for, but theres no option for train stations/transport ect...

anyone with an older version or newer version to 3.23 check to see if they have that option?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 21st March 2010, 11:34
Supporter

useless but at least I tried:::::-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first.JPG (59.6 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg second.JPG (48.4 KB, 58 views)
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 21st March 2010, 11:36
Supporter

Car: 2007 FN2 GT Milano
sat nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Ranger View Post
i know thats the only thing i didnt like either, the annoything thing was even when the tom tom is off and not in use the battery drains so you have to plug the power cable in, i dont think theres hardly been a time where ive used it without the cable.
I have my Garmin hardwired into the dash and mounted were the Honda one would have been.It`s the best of both worlds,great in the car or out and it`s far superior to the one Honda supply.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 21st March 2010, 11:46 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by gor4don View Post
I have my Garmin hardwired into the dash and mounted were the Honda one would have been.It`s the best of both worlds,great in the car or out and it`s far superior to the one Honda supply.
actually took me a while to get used to the honda satnav but im used to it now, and I kinda like the birds eye view.
i actually brought the EX because i wanted to get away from wires and modding the car (changing stereo, hardwiring satnav etc...) only mod id want to do is add in a xcarlink or connects2 usb mp3 adaptor.

oh can you post a picture of ** garmin hardwired in, or post a link to the post if you've added it elsewhere in the forum.

Last edited by Lone_Ranger; 21st March 2010 at 11:47. Reason: added extra paragraph
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2010, 08:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gor4don View Post
I got mine mainly because of the TMC. That has saved me countless hours as I can see what the M25 is doing from miles away - and avoid it.

I keep up to date on the PGPSW forum about TT's TMC efforts and the general consensus is that it's pretty useless and you have to have a 'washing line' aerial draped across the sunvisors and be in a very strong signal area.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2010, 21:51
Supporter

Car: 2014 1.6 i-Dtec SR, Red
What is the problem with the Tom Tom battery. It seems to go flat in not time if you don't use it.

I'm glad I went for the built in Sat Nav, it's so much more convenient.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2010, 21:56
Supporter

Car: 2009 CW CTR
Send a message via MSN to Cush
Ive had a few Tom Tom's and the latest XL is the worst of them all. The battery life is useless, it requires a hard reboot every few weeks and its routing system is no way near as good previous versions.

Im now used to the Civics sat nav and actually prefer it despite its shortfalls.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2010, 08:43
Administrator

What I like about it is that it's built in and therefore part of the price and subsequent p/x and not an accessory.

Most other cars it's an accessory and once opted for the cost is lost forever.

Yes it may cost 1500 more but you do get some of that back when you look at Glass's compared to other Civic editions.

and your right about TT battery life. A colleague has just bought one. Took it home, charged it up, hasn't used it and when he did get it out after 2 weeks, flat as a pancake.
Why he bought it and never used it for 2 weeks is another story.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2010, 12:23 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Why he bought it and never used it for 2 weeks is another story.
well thats the other problem with having a tomtom, you only use it when you need it, which in some peoples cases are a long time, at least with the built in system, its always on and there if u need it, pretty handy as seeing the birds eye view u can see other routes u can take to avoid the little bit of traffic if needed.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 25th March 2010, 10:56
Supporter

Car: 2007 FN2 GT Milano
sat/nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Ranger View Post
well thats the other problem with having a tomtom, you only use it when you need it, which in some peoples cases are a long time, at least with the built in system, its always on and there if u need it, pretty handy as seeing the birds eye view u can see other routes u can take to avoid the little bit of traffic if needed.
forget about Tom Tom there useless also to bulky,buy the slim and superior Garmin which has never let me down and you can also slip it into your shirt pocket when you want to go walk about.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 25th March 2010, 12:21
Supporter

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
I have had the built in satnav in the Civic, Accord and CR-V. In the Merc I have just completed 10,000 miles with a Tomtom 750 which is mounted and hard wired using a Brodit mount. The Tomtom x70 series has a built in mobile phone (in effect) that uses GPRS data to get traffic and other info every couple of minutes.

Time, I think, for a comparison!

Basic requirements (simple nav)
Both are more or less the same. You just put the post code in and off you go. The TT is unresponsive for a while after boot as it does other stuff (getting traffic data) but on the move both will get you there fine.

The TT arrival time is based on statistical speeds for the roads in use. This is clever, so long as you drive at those speeds (you can't tweak them). So for me it's inaccurate because I drive at 70 on the motorway, and the statistical speed for 3am on the M1 appears to be about 80. The Honda has adjustable speeds for different road types which I got to be more accurate.

The TT is hopeless at roundabouts and junctions. Because it is GPS-only there is a lag in its calculations and the "next exit" can come a long time after you have actually exited the roundabout. The Honda uses yaw and actual car speed, so is deadly accurate on roundabouts.

The Honda maps are less accurate than the TT (which has constantly updated maps via user feedback).

Convenience functions
The database of POIs on the Honda is vast compared to the TT, but the TT allows you to download third party ones if you can be bothered. The TT includes speed camera POIs, which are hopelessly out of date (and I subscribe to the premium service). It also has a Google search function, so you can search for the POI and if Google finds it you can then navigate there. I managed to get this to work once, but it has failed several times. The TT also can show you where the nearest cheap petrol is. One of the best functions on the TT is that it knows and displays the speed limit on nearly every road. And you can set it to beep if you exceed it by a certain margin.

If you are on the motorway and you are travelling with children, you will want to know where and when you are going to pass the upcoming service areas. The Honda does this with one button push - I have yet to work out how to do this at all on the TT. The TT doesn't even display motorway junction numbers.

2D Nav
For those of us who like to use a satnav like a map, it is nice to be able to display in 2D. The Honda is brilliant at this - you can quickly set the scale or move around laterally using hard buttons. Screen re-draws are quick. The TT is almost unusable. When navigating you can only zoom in and out (no lateral movement) and the soft zoom buttons either don't work at all, or work very slowly. You soon learn that to zoom out, you have to do one zoom in first. If you miss the tiny zoom button, you can end up in the "navigate home" screen, which has no back button. The 2D display in this mode is hopeless too, with no real detail and no differentiation of on-route traffic compared to off-route traffic (which the Honda does).

To move laterally in the TT, you have to go into map mode (several button pushes). This mode usefully shows a 2D map of the position you last left map mode. So first job is Find, Next page, Current position to show where you are. Then it will zoom in and out, but because the zoom buttons are very small and right next to the zoom scale, you often get the whole of Europe, or the surrounding 10 yards. What's worse, is the screen re-draws take forever. Then, for an early heat attack, try scrolling around. Re-draws take ages, and often the finger-swipe hardly registers so you didn't scroll like you wanted to. Then it leaves a strange blue icon in the corner of the screen and for some reason when you zoom in it doesn't zoom to the centre of the screen it zooms to the blue icon. My advice is that if you try 2D work on the TT, keep the window closed to prevent an ill-advised angry lob.

Traffic
The Honda uses free TMC. The accuracy of the TMC service has been variable, but is generally quite good. The re-routes are quick. The display of traffic on the 2D screen is excellent (for you to work out your own re-route).

The TT gets data from the built in mobile, and this costs 80 pa. TT collect data from lots of sources (including, I suspect, from other TT users stuck in traffic). So the data is better, and includes how long the delay is. The re-routes can work out whether it's best to stick it out in the queue, or take the smaller roads. If you buy your satnav primarily for traffic avoidance then the TT is the one to have. But both still suffer from "stuck" events, or events that just never appear. You can see the TT live data here.

Other irritations
The Honda maps are too expensive, so for financial reasons become even more out of date than they should be.

The TT does not use its light sensor, so only dims at computed dusk. Minimum brightness is too bright. The voice control doesn't work. When you arrive at your destination it doesn't cancel the route. The sound is weak and doesn't mute the stereo (like the built-in Honda). You have to remove it when you park the car.

Summary
The Honda system is intuitive, responsive, reasonably accurate and a pleasure to use.

The Tomtom is frustrating, slow and unresponsive, but has slightly better maps and Traffic.

I swap between the two almost daily, and much prefer the Honda system.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page