Satnav Faulty SatNav (Disc or Head Unit) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 20:21 Thread Starter

Faulty SatNav (Disc or Head Unit)

Finally bought my Civic EX '07 from Cargiant on Wednesday.

Signed for my spare keys, logbook and SatNav disk (3.05). Great I thought. Wrong was I.

Before I'd driven away I popped the disk in and got a read error saying I should contact the dealer. Unhappy, I spoke to one of the 'helpful' members of staff. I was told to speak to Honda; to get them to fax Cargiant advising how much a replacement disk was and that Cargiant would cover it. Fair enough said I ... and off I drove.

Having looked at the intensely helpful posts on Civinfo (give yourselves a collective pat-on-the-back) I've seen others have had this problem - so I tried to fix it:

(1) Bought a CD / DVD Cleaner and put it into the SatNav drive (even though it said on the packaging it wasn't suitable for Car nav equipment). Hasn't fixed it.
(2) Bought some DVD+R DL's and copied the nav disc contents onto a shiny new disk. Hasn't fixed it.

So can anyone advise me what to do next? Even if I get a replacement disk it seems probable that that also might not work. If it's the head unit (£1500+ of equipment) I can't see any way a car dealer is going to cover that cost. Or would they? Is it still worth persisting in getting the disk anyway? Can I get a cheap copy for £20 somewhere (legally - on the premise I have the original)?

Sorry for the long post but I really bought the EX for the SatNav option. I love it. Voice interaction and all of that. To not be able to use it is heartbreaking at the moment. Hence suggesting to get a TomTom is a no no.

This is a major problem for me and I am intensely grateful for your help and wise words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 20:52
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to DUNCAN
It will be the dvd give it a good clean.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 20:57 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
It will be the dvd give it a good clean.
As in clean it with a DVD cleaning solution?

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 21:08
Supporter

cleand mine with warm soapy water and dry it with a soft tissue
Thanks to DUNCAN from:
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 21:13 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I shall try it right now.

I shall let you know in 10 minutes if it did the trick ...
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 21:20
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
Even if it is the Headunit, you are covered by the 'Sale of Goods' act ...

Even second-hand goods must be of "merchantable" quality - so, while 'minor flaws' are to be expected \ are allowed, the Integrated Head Unit is clearly a 'significant feature' and is covered ...

So, if it is the Head Unit (and a faulty DVD or DVD reader is more likely) you are entitled to a repair or reflacement (or in extreme cases, your money back !) ...

Also, when was the car first registered (is there any of the original 3 year Honda warranty left) ? - and, Cargiant must have surely given you some additional warranty ? ...

1} Thorougly clean and polish DVD (and use a vacuum cleaner to suck out any 'detritus' from the reader)

2} If no-go, try a new DVD (you're V.3.05 is very old, so you'd get a free upgrade, in any case !)

3} If still no-go, then its a wiring \ connection fault, or the DVD reader, or the Head Unit - but, irrespective, it's Cargiant's problem !!! ...
Thanks to J. Derek Riddell from:
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 21:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I regret to report that the cleaned disc did not work.

I cleaned it gently with soapy water - in a manner in which Nanette Newman would be proud. No good.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 21:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

No Honda warranty left ... starship mileage of 92K.

No warranty from Cargiant as part of the sale. They tried to flog some AA 3 year warranty (which didn't cover satnav btw) for £896. Told them it wasn't worth it and that I shall get my own (cheaper) warranty from the AA.

I will try and hoover the head-unit as you suggested ... but I will need to get a cordless one to do this. So will be a few days before I can try this.

My 3.05 is very old. But they don't give out free upgrades do they? They charge don't they? But even then, if my copy-disc didn't work, it doesn't seem likely to me that a more recent version is going to work (ie, the problem is the head-unit, not the disc).

Grateful nonetheless for everybody's help. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this before?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 22:08
Supporter

yes it was dvd jumping ,dvd drive not reading sat nav dvd.will miss when copying it.
go in to a dealers and ask if you can use one of there dvds just to find if its the dvd at fault..
Thanks to DUNCAN from:
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 22:17
Supporter

some parts have a 7 year warranty on them.sat nav could be one of them ?
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 22:20 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks Dunc - a good reply.

I've emailed my local dealership (JCB Honda - Ashford) asking them to contact me (Easter now, so I guess I'll hear back from them in due course). I need to do a service asap anyway so I should pay them a visit (92K miles - last serviced at 72K ... and wasn't a Honda service ).

I so hope it's just the DVD and not the head-unit ... weeks and weeks of wrangling to get Cargiant to sort me a new head-unit doesn't sound like fun.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 22:25
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meritocracy View Post
Thanks Dunc - a good reply.

I've emailed my local dealership (JCB Honda - Ashford) asking them to contact me (Easter now, so I guess I'll hear back from them in due course). I need to do a service asap anyway so I should pay them a visit (92K miles - last serviced at 72K ... and wasn't a Honda service ).

I so hope it's just the DVD and not the head-unit ... weeks and weeks of wrangling to get Cargiant to sort me a new head-unit doesn't sound like fun.
i think thay no the dvd is faulty as it would have been in the car
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 22:32 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
i think thay no the dvd is faulty as it would have been in the car
Interesting point.
I received the satnav DVD with the keys and logbook - anotherwards after inspecting, signing and paying for the car. There was no way I could have known there was a fault until when I first put the DVD in and tried to drive away.

Are you suggesting then that they probably knew it was faulty and kept it out to sign over after the sale? I can't understand why they'd do that ... I mean, they'd have to fix the issue sooner or later, no? Either before the sale or afterwards ...
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 22:40
Supporter

Quote:
Interesting point.
I received the satnav DVD with the keys and logbook - anotherwards after inspecting, signing and paying for the car. There was no way I could have known there was a fault until when I first put the DVD in and tried to drive away.

Are you suggesting then that they probably knew it was faulty and kept it out to sign over after the sale? I can't understand why they'd do that ... I mean, they'd have to fix the issue sooner or later, no? Either before the sale or afterwards ...
why should thay take the dvd out of the car.only time ive seen a dvd out of a honda is when its a new one.then the dealer will put it in befor you pick it up..
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 3rd April 2010, 22:52 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I'm wondering if they took it out to swap it with another Civic they sold before mine.

I have a picture of my car as marketed on Cargiant's website and it seems to show the unit up and running (see below)

So it must have been working very recently...
BP459858P11.jpg
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 7th April 2010, 13:53 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Little Update for you:

Tried the hoover and it didn't work.

Went to the dealership and checked another SatNav disk which also didn't work. So it's the head unit it would seem.

Honda have faxed CarGiant advising the cost of removing and refitting the unit, sending it to Alpine for repairing and then postage back. Price £297

I'll update you once CarGiant have advised me what they're going to do ...
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 7th April 2010, 14:14

Car: 2006 Civic 2.2 CDTi EX
Good luck I bought my Civic EX from Car Giant luckily mine worked apart from at first when as a novice I tried inserting the Sat-Nav disk in the cd slot then wondered why it didn't work doh
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 7th April 2010, 15:02
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
Quote:
Little Update for you: Tried the hoover and it didn't work. Went to the dealership and checked another SatNav disk which also didn't work. So it's the head unit it would seem. Honda have faxed CarGiant advising the cost of removing and refitting the unit, sending it to Alpine for repairing and then postage back. Price £297 I'll update you once CarGiant have advised me what they're going to do ...
Are they sure it's not the SatNav DVD reader (in the glovebox) that's at fault, rather than the Head Unit itself ? ...

Did you try the SatNav version reset "three finger trick", just in case ? ...
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 7th April 2010, 15:02 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

CarGiant have spoken to Honda and authorised the repair! Woo ... yay. Booked in for next week to do the free half-hour check and to remove the unit for posting up to Alpine. Should take about a week to a week-and-a-half. CarGiant then pay on their corporate credit card when the unit comes back.

Surprisingly quick response from CarGiant - well done them (very surprising considering some of the horror stories I've heard). And fantastic work from the Honda staff at JCB Ashford.

I kept hearing about Honda customer service before I chose a Honda. It was a small plus in making me decide to get one. But damn, Honda's good.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 7th April 2010, 15:05 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Are they sure it's not the SatNav DVD reader (in the glovebox) that's at fault, rather than the Head Unit itself ? ...

Did you try the SatNav version reset "three finger trick", just in case ? ...
I didn't try the "3 fingered salute" ... I had the Services Manager have a tinker with it (he tried another disc; used a DVD Cleaner, etc) and sending away the Head-unit was the conclusion to which he came.

Would it make so much of a difference, the 3 fingered reset?

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page