Satnav Quote from Honda for new sat nav disc!! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 14:39 Thread Starter
Stuck in the 80's

Car: 09 Alabaster Silver TypeS GT
Quote from Honda for new sat nav disc!!

So, as many people know if you've read any of my recent posts, I recently picked up a fab 09 spec Type S GT. With the built in sat nav etc.

However, because I am caught in the middle of a frankly infantile exchange between the dealership and the previous owner (who took the sat nav disc from the car) my car is without a set of mats, but more importantly, without a sat nav DVD, so the sat nav does not presently work.

Today, my Husband took my car to Honda for a quote on how much a replacement DVD would cost. We were originally told between 100 and 200, but we were given a quote today for almost 300! Apparently, it's a special 2 DVD set that we need and we were told it was the same as the one that the Accord sat nav uses?!

Can anyone shed any light on this? Does anyone else here have this? And does anyone think this price is correct? Is this the only one that will work in my car? Does it have extras to the older ones that Honda sell for 100+? The part number is SHHFN14609U001351 and it comes up as a 'Navigator DVD-Rom set'

Any help would be fab!

Frankie.x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 14:51
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
So, as many people know if you've read any of my recent posts, I recently picked up a fab 09 spec Type S GT. With the built in sat nav etc.

However, because I am caught in the middle of a frankly infantile exchange between the dealership and the previous owner (who took the sat nav disc from the car) my car is without a set of mats, but more importantly, without a sat nav DVD, so the sat nav does not presently work.

Today, my Husband took my car to Honda for a quote on how much a replacement DVD would cost. We were originally told between 100 and 200, but we were given a quote today for almost 300! Apparently, it's a special 2 DVD set that we need and we were told it was the same as the one that the Accord sat nav uses?!

Can anyone shed any light on this? Does anyone else here have this? And does anyone think this price is correct? Is this the only one that will work in my car? Does it have extras to the older ones that Honda sell for 100+? The part number is SHHFN14609U001351 and it comes up as a 'Navigator DVD-Rom set'

Any help would be fab!

Frankie.x
Why should the previous owner not take the discs and mats if they were not included in the sale of the car? They belong to him/her and can be sold for a reasonable sum on ebay which is probably where they will end up. Your problems are with the dealer that sold you the car and as such they should be supplying the disks to you at their expense.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:03

Car: 2006 Civic 2.2 CDTi EX
I think the previous owner should be ashamed you are buying a car with Sat-Nav now if the Sat-Nav does not work because the disks are not there then this is mis-selling whoever you bought the car of should send you the disks free of charge

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:10 Thread Starter
Stuck in the 80's
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh339 View Post
Why should the previous owner not take the discs and mats if they were not included in the sale of the car? They belong to him/her and can be sold for a reasonable sum on ebay which is probably where they will end up. Your problems are with the dealer that sold you the car and as such they should be supplying the disks to you at their expense.
Thank you, but this does not answer my question. Plus, I have in the papers from my car that when the car was part exed the mats and a working sat nav should have been included and there's a nice signature saying so from the previous owner.

The fact that I am taking this up with the dealer is a given and I have not asked for advice on this point. I am taking care of this part... the dealership have promised me discs or money in two weeks. I am preparing my papers for the inevitable fact that I am going to have to claim this money from them.

My question refers to the actual disc. Do you have a sat nav system and a 2009 spec Civic Type S GT? And do you use this disc, or a different one?
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:12
The quest for perfection!

can I just ask why your sat-nav system is not working? I thought you only needed a disc with you wanted an upgrade of software or more up-to-date maps.

300 for a disc seems very expensive. Just searched ebay and there are a few items perfect for your needs:

Honda sat nav disc 2009 CRV,CIVIC,ACCORD on eBay (end time 08-May-10 21:07:26 BST)

(though the bids are get quite high )

I have a friend who had a similar situation like yours frankie though it was a BMW who was going to charge him an eye-watering 500 for the disc and set-up and told him only BMW technicians could do it because "it needs a special computer". He went on ebay and got the dics for a fiver, inserted the discs, couple of minutes, job done!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:17

Car: 2006 Civic 2.2 CDTi EX
The Maps are stored on the disk I believe so it will not work at all without a disk
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:18 Thread Starter
Stuck in the 80's
** Thread starter **

Hi,

Apparently this system requires the DVD to be in the drive the whole time.

I was just wondering if, out of the official Honda DVDs it was only the latest 300, 2 disc version that would work. The Honda technician seemed to think so, but I'm sure this car originally only had the one disc!

When I claim the money from the dealership I need a reasonable and official quote, I don't want to charge them for a 300 disc unless that's the only one I can use, or a genuine like for like for what should be there.

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0507448n View Post
can I just ask why your sat-nav system is not working? I thought you only needed a disc with you wanted an upgrade of software or more up-to-date maps.

300 for a disc seems very expensive. Just searched ebay and there are a few items perfect for your needs:

Honda sat nav disc 2009 CRV,CIVIC,ACCORD on eBay (end time 08-May-10 21:07:26 BST)

(though the bids are get quite high )

I have a friend who had a similar situation like yours frankie though it was a BMW who was going to charge him an eye-watering 500 for the disc and set-up and told him only BMW technicians could do it because "it needs a special computer". He went on ebay and got the dics for a fiver, inserted the discs, couple of minutes, job done!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex1970 View Post
The Maps are stored on the disk I believe so it will not work at all without a disk
i am guessing that you only insert the disc once and the maps are loaded??????

If so, the maps should be in the sat-nav hard-drive and all is well with the only problem of old, out-of-date maps.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:22

delayed response.

WOW, really? the disc needs to be in the drive all the time? what happens if you wanna listen to a CD??
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:22 Thread Starter
Stuck in the 80's
** Thread starter **

Quote:
delayed response.

WOW, really? the disc needs to be in the drive all the time? what happens if you wanna listen to a CD??
Different drive.. the sat nav DVD goes in the glove box, and an audio CD can be loaded in the usual place in the dash
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:24 Thread Starter
Stuck in the 80's
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex1970 View Post
I think the previous owner should be ashamed you are buying a car with Sat-Nav now if the Sat-Nav does not work because the disks are not there then this is mis-selling whoever you bought the car of should send you the disks free of charge
Lex, I'll get the disc or the cash one way or another from them.. I just need to get some quotes ready! I knew before I picked it up that I would have a small wait for the disc.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:27

Ah OK, I get it but surely this is a major design flaw. I mean, the maps and all other info doesnt really take up that much space especially with todays hard-drive memory (Giga-bytes is cheap as peanuts).

I have a funny feeling its all a money-making process.

Also, if you bought a car with sat-nav, you would expect everything to be there. I would go back to the dealer and demand them to sort it out. I know the previous owner should not have removed it though it is the dealer's responsibility to ensure everything is in place.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:30 Thread Starter
Stuck in the 80's
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Also, if you bought a car with sat-nav, you would expect everything to be there. I would go back to the dealer and demand them to sort it out. I know the previous owner should not have removed it though it is the dealer's responsibility to ensure everything is in place.
Yes yes yes yes, I've done this. They are sorting it out. I have it in writing that if they don't replace the disc in two weeks they'll pay me for it.

But like I've already said. I need a realistic and official quote.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
Yes yes yes yes, I've done this. They are sorting it out. I have it in writing that if they don't replace the disc in two weeks they'll pay me for it.

But like I've already said. I need a realistic and official quote.
maybe I missed the point but why didnt they just order a new set of discs for you rather than offer you cash. Surely (if they are the official honda dealers) the could order the discs with ease.

By the way, hope you get it fix asap and stress free
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:45 Thread Starter
Stuck in the 80's
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Surely (if they are the official honda dealers) the could order the discs with ease.

By the way, hope you get it fix asap and stress free
Not a Honda dealership. They've been trying to get the discs from previous owner.

Thanks! I'm fairly stress free, I just need to know which disc to bill them for when they don't pay up voluntarily!
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:52

I doubt the previous owner will hand them back to the dealer.

My only advise is to phone a few honda dealers for quotes. At least that way you know who's ripping you off.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:54
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
The current 2-disc version is 3.40 - I bought 3.33 (also 2-disc) last year, here in Norway, and it was a lot less than 300, even at Norwegian prices ...

Your dealer is taking the piss - they'll be able to get them from a Honda dealer inside a few days ...

They are just "plug-n-play" - insert either Europe West or Europe East (into the drive in the glove box !) and if it's a newer version than that which was previously installed, it updates the firmware and loads the maps ...

You can use older versions as well (there's a special "3-finger salute" to 'roll-back' to any previous version) ...
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:56 Thread Starter
Stuck in the 80's
** Thread starter **

Quote:
I doubt the previous owner will hand them back to the dealer.
Yes I know.. hence getting ready some quotes to give to them.

Quote:
My only advise is to phone a few honda dealers for quotes. At least that way you know who's ripping you off.
I know this too. But I would like to know which sat nav disc I need to ask for, or whether an older one can be used also.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:57

JDR to the rescue
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 5th May 2010, 15:58 Thread Starter
Stuck in the 80's
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Derek Riddell View Post
The current 2-disc version is 3.40 - I bought 3.33 (also 2-disc) last year, here in Norway, and it was a lot less than 300, even at Norwegian prices ...

Your dealer is taking the piss - they'll be able to get them from a Honda dealer inside a few days ...

They are just "plug-n-play" - insert either Europe West or Europe East (into the drive in the glove box !) and if it's a newer version than that which was previously installed, it updates the firmware and loads the maps ...

You can use older versions as well (there's a special "3-finger salute" to 'roll-back' to any previous version) ...
The dealership I bought from have been very open in telling me that they don't want to pay for a disc until they have tried to get the original back.

I need to know which disc I need so I have the correct quote because I will be claiming this money from the dealership - since I am 100% sure that they will not be able to get the old one back. The dealership and the previous owner are in the middle of a war of words about it.

Thank you! So I can use an older version? Thanks! You have answered my main question!

Frankie.x

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page