• 1 Post By HLR Seagull
  • 2 Post By Das
  • 1 Post By HLR Seagull
  • 1 Post By DeltaCivic
  • 1 Post By Ray_S

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 11:02 Thread Starter

Car: 2006 1.8 ES 5d Milano Red
Need new battery, which one do you recommend?

Need a new battery, its currently working fine but if I switch electronics on and play a cd after 3-4 mins I cannot start it up! It has a extremely low power hold. How long can a new battery hold a charge if the electronics is turned on eg. playing music via Bluetooth? and which battery do you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 11:12

Car: 2010 1.8 Si 5dr, Blue
Garage
Do you know how old your current battery is? It's done well if it's the original one!

The Bosch S4 is a popular replacement on here. I had to replace mine at Christmas a couple of years ago and put in an Exide battery from Euro Car Parts because it was all I could get hold of in a hurry, it has been faultless so far.
Thanks to bfranklin from:
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 12:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfranklin View Post
Do you know how old your current battery is? It's done well if it's the original one!

The Bosch S4 is a popular replacement on here. I had to replace mine at Christmas a couple of years ago and put in an Exide battery from Euro Car Parts because it was all I could get hold of in a hurry, it has been faultless so far.
Oh ok thanks but which Bosch S4 battery do I choose? there are different models of S4 different AMPS etc, differently prices what are the advantages of higher prices vs cheaper priced

Last edited by DeltaCivic; 19th June 2018 at 12:48. Reason: forgot to add something

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 18:21
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
the only advantage to buying a more expensive 1 is the seller gets more money
but there are many advantages of buying better quality one
which can often be cheaper than expensive ones
buy a decent branded battery matching or higher than recommended spec and you wont go far wrong
ive found Hondas don't like being parked up with engine off and ignition switched on with radio playing 10 to 15 mins on my old accord would knock a big dent in my battery
not sure with the civic I have had radio on for half hour or more but would never chance it parked in a layby or any where that I didn't have the option to jump start or recharge battery
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 19th June 2018, 18:25
Supporter

Car: 2015 white orchid 1.6 dtec
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfranklin View Post

if buying from eurocarparts always try to buy at weekend
look on internet Friday tea time onwards they often have good weekend discount codes
buy and pay on the website and put the code in even if you click collect in store
ive seen upto 50% discounts at times but bank holiday weekends tend to carry the highest discounts
and the discounts don't always cover all items
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2018, 23:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post
the only advantage to buying a more expensive 1 is the seller gets more money
but there are many advantages of buying better quality one
which can often be cheaper than expensive ones
buy a decent branded battery matching or higher than recommended spec and you wont go far wrong
ive found Hondas don't like being parked up with engine off and ignition switched on with radio playing 10 to 15 mins on my old accord would knock a big dent in my battery
not sure with the civic I have had radio on for half hour or more but would never chance it parked in a layby or any where that I didn't have the option to jump start or recharge battery
I wonder if anyone with battery knowledge would be able to give an answer to that? How long can you be parked up with music playing with engine off? is there any tools or equipment you could link up to the battery show its power hold like a mobile phone? Silly question but curious as at times I would prefer to turn off the engine to stop using fuel whilst chilling
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2018, 00:38
Supporter

Car: 9th Gen 1.4 Petrol SE + Navi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaCivic View Post
I wonder if anyone with battery knowledge would be able to give an answer to that? How long can you be parked up with music playing with engine off? is there any tools or equipment you could link up to the battery show its power hold like a mobile phone? Silly question but curious as at times I would prefer to turn off the engine to stop using fuel whilst chilling
There are a number of draws on the car battery, including items that are "Always on" such as the security system. After a few weeks, depending on the age of the battery, It will no longer crank. (I think most everyone is aware of this; It's why you get battery cutoff switches on hypercars that sit in garages most of the time)
IIRC, The stereo will turn off automatically after 30 minutes - This is the case on the 9G.

For battery monitoring, you can use the classic rule along with a multimeter or 12V socket voltmeter, which is probably more appropriate for your use - The values for V and methods given in this video
can be applied using a cigarette lighter voltmeter to draw a good estimate as to the state of the battery.
DeltaCivic likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2018, 06:37
Supporter

Bosch S4 , Exide Premium or Yuasa. (The Yuasa one from Halfrauds had a 5 year warranty) whereas the other two are 4 years from Euros

If you are buying from ECP do not buy LION

Best tip you can receive make sure the keys are not in the ignition when battery disconnected or reconnected

From a load point of view. I would say approx no longer than 30 mins with radio on etc . The classic one we get roadside is people park up with radio on and strangely they turn on the aircon with blower thinking the aircon will keep them cool without the engine running (yes they are out there haha)
scaramanga likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2018, 06:50
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Check out Optima batteries, best batteries out there by a mile.

Having said that just spotted this on ECP.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/H...b327c1f&000020

Add in their discount code summer70 and it works out at 40.15 for a battery with a 5 year warranty!!!!
scaramanga and DeltaCivic like this.

Last edited by Das; 23rd June 2018 at 06:56.
Thanks to Das from:
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2018, 07:18
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
Check out Optima batteries, best batteries out there by a mile.

Having said that just spotted this on ECP.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/H...b327c1f&000020

Add in their discount code summer70 and it works out at 40.15 for a battery with a 5 year warranty!!!!
Personally I would go for the 159 battery rather than the 156 as the 156 has smaller terminals and then you have to fit the JIS adapters to the battery terminal to allow the terminals to fit. We have had a couple of these come loose and some with high resistance issues due to corrosion so I personally would avoid the battery with small terminals and buy a 159 that has fat terminals
Das likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 23rd June 2018, 15:08
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLR Seagull View Post
Personally I would go for the 159 battery rather than the 156 as the 156 has smaller terminals and then you have to fit the JIS adapters to the battery terminal to allow the terminals to fit. We have had a couple of these come loose and some with high resistance issues due to corrosion so I personally would avoid the battery with small terminals and buy a 159 that has fat terminals
Mine has the small terminals, first time i've ever seen this, and the earth one was very loose. I had to manipulate the clamp to make it tighter. But at that price im nearly tempted to buy one myself and just keep it for when I need it. Im very surprised at how low the AH the Civics batteries are.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 26th June 2018, 13:21
Supporter

59 from a dealer?... do you have a better price than that?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 1st July 2018, 00:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the advice guys theres so many options available whats the difference on 156 + 158? Is hat is the connector where it makes contacts with the leads (156 or 158)?

Bosch S4 Battery (S4 Battery 156 4 Year Guarantee)

OR

Bosch S4 Battery (S4 Battery 158 4 Year Guarantee)

Tbh im leaning onto this model as most people have it...

However Duracell Battery (DA45 Advanced Car Battery Type 156 - 5 Year Guarantee) seems to be the best seller on ECP with 5 Year Guarantee and half the price! Thanks Das for the headsup with that deal.
Das likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 1st July 2018, 00:07 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltamer View Post
There are a number of draws on the car battery, including items that are "Always on" such as the security system. After a few weeks, depending on the age of the battery, It will no longer crank. (I think most everyone is aware of this; It's why you get battery cutoff switches on hypercars that sit in garages most of the time)
IIRC, The stereo will turn off automatically after 30 minutes - This is the case on the 9G.

For battery monitoring, you can use the classic rule along with a multimeter or 12V socket voltmeter, which is probably more appropriate for your use - The values for V and methods given in this video
can be applied using a cigarette lighter voltmeter to draw a good estimate as to the state of the battery.
How to Test a Car Battery with a Multimeter - YouTube
Thanks ** I will most likely purchase one of these to check for battery draws in future as I will be replacing the battery, I will most likely buy a voltage usb meter where you plug into the cigarette socket to see the battery watts during journeys from where the ignition is switched off and other things working to ensure I dont run flat to save of fuel.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2018, 19:45
Supporter

Car: 2005 Civic Type-S EV1
Gave up on Varta/Bosch, CCA too low at 330A for UK winters and only 45Ah capacity (Varta B32/Bosch S4 021) and too many weird issues when they age, self discharging being one (Bosch is rebranded Varta).

Only use Yuasa these days, they also make the OE replacement battery, P/N: 31500-ST3-111-HE which is rated at CCA 420A and 48Ah with 3 year guarantee. The aftermarket Yuasa YBX5053 is rated as CCA 430A and 48Ah with 5 year guarantee. Also available from Halfords as the Yuasa HSB053 and is cheaper with a trade card if you can get hold of one.
Das likes this.

Last edited by Ray_S; 2nd July 2018 at 19:48.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page