Satnav Faster boot-up (just speculating) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2007, 13:19 Thread Starter

Faster boot-up (just speculating)

Yesterday I was leaving my cramped parking space in the local mall, and again got irritated by how long it took my car's computer to boot up, and consequently, what bloody ages it took before the reverse camera worked. It was well over 10 seconds.

DVD drives are kinda slow. The read speed is fast, but they take ages to start and rev up. So, just as wild speculation, could you imagine someone copying the DVD's data on a small hard drive or a USB dongle and boot up the car from there?

Could someone even (gasp) hack the car's OS and make the car run on Linux? And modify the boot-up so that the reverse camera would work immediately?

Just wild thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2007, 14:11

I've always liked the idea of being able to customise the computer systems that come with cars these days.

The only worry is .. if you get something wrong it might crash .. literally

But yes, instead of the DVD player .. a 100GB 2.5" laptop drive would have been much better. Lots of space for satnav data, and plenty of room for MP3 collection.

Then add in a wifi connection and as you get home it automatically hooks into your wireless network and syncs your MP3 files and updates the satnav map!

Why we're so limited to static data is beyond me.

ste
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2007, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewright View Post
Why we're so limited to static data is beyond me.

Well, it's a lot easier for a mechanic to replace a DVD than it is to replace a hard disc drive (these are car mechanics, they like big bolts and heavy equipment, not small and fragile electronics)

Hacking the system to run on Linux is NOT an easy task, probably you'd have to make your own distribution from scratch
, which is hard by itself, but not having a proper keyboard, mouse and display on the target system makes it even harder.

I'm a proffesional software engineer and part of our compagnies OSOS group (Open Source Open Standards) And I have a LOT of trouble hacking my Tomtom, and that comes with Linux shipped on it, the computer in the Civic is a Windows CE device, so getting Linux on it would take a LOT more time.

If you want to start hacking, I'd probably start by examining the disc that came with the Civic, maby you get lucky and find that it is a (relativly) standard computer, that would make hacking it easier.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2007, 18:02
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
There is no obvious serial connector on the back of the Navi unit, so connecting a USB drive, flash drive or HDD would be very difficult! Some of the Navi units used in other Honda/Acura models have a pcmcia slot. If you check out some American Honda/Acura forums you will see that no one has really worked out what it is for (although some have hacked it to play MP3's off a pcmcia card).

Personally, I don't think the boot time is too bad, and I know linux is good, but if you achieved the virtually impossible and managed to convert the CE system into a linux based system, I doubt you would not see much better boot times.

As I said Honda have implemented various versions of this Navigation system in many different models and I'm sure their boffins have honed the boot times to a minimum.

By the way, have you ever waited for a Ford or Merc system to boot? Honda's is almost instant!

Having said all that , there is a hack to change the boot image and another to remove the 'nag' screen (Pressing OK), although I don't think anyone on this forum has tried it yet! That may speed up things by a second or so for you

Go to the end of this thread for more info on the rearview camera
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthr...9503#post39503

Last edited by Bog; 3rd March 2007 at 18:08.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2007, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
Personally, I don't think the boot time is too bad, and I know linux is good, but if you achieved the virtually impossible and managed to convert the CE system into a linux based system, I doubt you would not see much better boot times.
I think you are correct, My Tomtom, which runs Linux (as they all do) takes about ten seconds to start as well. And this is with Flash and not even from a hard reset.

For ultimate boot-times, get yourself an analog rear camera; can't beat the startup times of those!

If everything else fails, go analog!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th March 2007, 13:06 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
Well, it's a lot easier for a mechanic to replace a DVD than it is to replace a hard disc drive (these are car mechanics, they like big bolts and heavy equipment, not small and fragile electronics)
But do you think the car would boot faster from a hard drive? Is the delay caused by DVD bandwidth, or by some other factors? Would a faster drive really fix the problem?

I could imagine you could use a laptop hard drive, then accept the responsibility of taking care of transferring the data from a new DVD to the HDD yourself. So the mechanic would not have to replace it, just hand me the DVD.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th March 2007, 13:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
For ultimate boot-times, get yourself an analog rear camera; can't beat the startup times of those! If everything else fails, go analog!
Wouldn't that require an additional screen, then? I think the digital camera would work just as instantly, if only the boot-up sequence allowed it earlier.

So, if you got an analog camera, would you need a converter that makes the signal suitable for the LCD screen?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 5th March 2007, 15:22
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaven252 View Post
Wouldn't that require an additional screen, then? I think the digital camera would work just as instantly, if only the boot-up sequence allowed it earlier.

So, if you got an analog camera, would you need a converter that makes the signal suitable for the LCD screen?
All been covered before in this thread........

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1751

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page