Battery Battery draining problem - Civinfo
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 16th August 2018, 13:58 Thread Starter

Battery draining problem

So I have a bit of an issue with my battery going flat and the car not starting. I'm guessing it may be linked to some changes I made over the last few days where I've added a dashcam hardwire kit and also a connects2 aux input.

The dashcam hardwire kit is a nextbase one, I added the fuse tap (add a circuit) in fuse number 35 as per a few other posts I've seen and earthed it on the bolt which is on the side of the actual fusebox. Everything seemingly is ok with this, the dashcam powered up with the car starting up and would go off when the ignition is turned off as expected.

The connects2 unit I fitted with a Y cable adapter as my car is a satnav version also all seems to work as expected.

The day after I fitted the connects2 I was about to go out but the car wouldn't start. I figured maybe I'd run the battery down by starting and stopping the car to test everything a few times without taking the car out for a drive anywhere. After getting a jump start I went out and drove about 20 miles or so, stopped a couple of times for various errands, drove back another 20 miles all without any issue, the car starting up ok after each stop.

Then today just now I've gone to start the car up and its flat again, enough juice to light up the dash but it wont crank, just clicking when I press the start button.

Before all of this the car was being used daily with no problems starting whatsoever. I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the fuse tap I've fitted causing a drain but if that was the case then wouldn't the dashcam be on permanently?

Anybody got any ideas please let me know as I'm a bit stuffed otherwise.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 20th August 2018, 18:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Well I've gone and replaced the battery for a brand new one so we'll see if I have the same problem. I gave the old one a check with a voltage meter and although it has been stood unused/uncharged for a few days it was only showing 10.5V so I don't know if it was the battery itself that was the problem or something else.

Just done a quick search and it would seem that 10.5V might indicate a dead cell so it may well have been that the battery was dead and not anything else causing the problem. We shall see.

Last edited by PaulM-EX; 20th August 2018 at 18:22.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 20th August 2018, 18:23
Administrator

Car: MY13 1.8 EX Auto
Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Eco display Eco display
Garage
From memory of old posts 10.5v would indeed cause the protection to kick in and kill the starter motor circuit. You should have seen the old nugget 'check system' on the dash.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2018, 00:59

Car: 2006 1.8 EX Grey
Have you performed a parasitic draw test? It involves turning the car completely off, measuring the Amp draw from the battery (should be as close to 0.00A) as possible... For reference my 06 8th Get Civic EX has a 0.02A draw. Anything over 0.1A will be a cause for concern but to me it sounds like you may be Much higher.

I use an Extech clamp meter but cheap ones or a multimeter will do the job too.

If you see a considerable draw, use a multimeter to measure the voltage draw for each fuse in the car, You can do this by connecting your multimeter to the metal bits at the top of the fuse. You want to see an inactive 0mV with the car completely off. Anything else will indicate the circuit causing the issue (if this doesn't make sense, watch some parasitic draw test videos on youtube, its easy, just time consuming). You will need to check both the fusebox near the air intake and the one under the dash on drivers side.

Hopefully this test gives you a better indication of whats going on with the cars electrics.
Thanks to raf1qu3 from:
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 22nd August 2018, 01:42 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I haven't done that test but I will definitely look it up on youtube. To be honest I think the old battery was just at that point where it decided it had had enough and died.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page