• 1 Post By Das
  • 1 Post By Krepatil

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 15th September 2018, 12:08 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: 2010 Civic 1.4 i-VTEC (LPG)
TPMS (DWS) disabling?

Hi to everyone,
I am from Croatia and I am an owner of 2010.Civic 1.4 i-VTEC for only a few months. I have an TPMS / DWS (not sure which one of those monitoring systems) system installed in my vehicle, what I noticed while was driving a car, and the warning light with deflated tyre appears. I checked tyre pressure on all tyres, inflated to proper pressure, and found on-line a procedure for resetting a TPMS system. to turn a warning signal off.
Also I have an another set of alloy wheels for a winter tyres without TPMS. What will happens when I install this wheels on the car? Can I disable TPMS, or warning light will be turned ON all the winter season? If it's not possible to disable tyre pressure warning signal then would be better solution to by and install a new set of TPMS sensors on this winter set wheels.

Last edited by Krepatil; 15th September 2018 at 13:22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 15th September 2018, 16:02
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Your car has what I would call a Passive TPMS. Unlike a lot of cars that have sensors fitted inside the wheels as part of the actual Valve the Gen 8 Civic would appear to use the ABS sensors to measure the amount of rotations a wheel makes. When the tyre deflates the distance it travels per rotation changes. This change is picked up by the sensors and activates the alarm. You can fit your other wheels without any issue, but most likely the TPMS warning will activate almost immediately as the sensors will sense the change in the height of the tyres compared to the stored values.
Krepatil likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 15th September 2018, 16:26 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks Das.
If I properly understand, that means neither of my wheel sets (summer set now installed on the vehicle, and the winter one stored in the garage), haven't an active TPMS sensors installed inside the wheels (actually on the air valve). If this is a true information, then, in my opinion, there is no any reason to be worried about tyre pressure warning signal to be activated when I change my wheel set, specially if they are all same in dimensions/diameter.

Am I correct?

Last edited by Krepatil; 15th September 2018 at 16:30.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 15th September 2018, 16:51
Das
i-Vtec

Car: 2009 1.8 ES
Garage
Yes you are correct, there are no sensors inside the wheels to worry about. However I ignored my TPMS a few weeks ago and although on initial inspection the tyre looked ok I found that I had air leaking from a dodgy valve, had it replaced and its been fine since. Try resetting your warning again and see how you get on.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 15th September 2018, 19:14 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
Yes you are correct, there are no sensors inside the wheels to worry about. However I ignored my TPMS a few weeks ago and although on initial inspection the tyre looked ok I found that I had air leaking from a dodgy valve, had it replaced and its been fine since. Try resetting your warning again and see how you get on.
It is everything OK with air pressure in my tyres, and TPMS. I was just worried about, what would happens when I replace my wheels. I supposed that there are sensors inside, and when I remove those wheels and replace them with a set of wheels without sensors will warning light appears, and can I permanently remove this warning during a winter season. It would be very annoying to look at a warning signal permanently.

According to this what you said, that's even better that there are no sensors inside tyres. There are few sensors less to worry about, and no need to worry about when you change your wheels.
Thanks my friend.
Das likes this.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page