Phone No microphone sound on Bluetooth calls - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th July 2019, 21:44 Thread Starter

No microphone sound on Bluetooth calls

Hi
I recently bought a a 61 plate uk 1.8 ivtec Si model with built in ssd sat nav and Bluetooth. It doesnít have the hands free bit on the steering wheel. I can connect to Bluetooth and play music and make calls, but people on the other end hear absolutely nothing, while I can hear them perfectly.

Iíve fiddled in the settings and altered the mic gain, but it did nothing. It really sure what gain means in microphone terms to be honest!

Iíve gone through lots of posts about HFT kit and poor sound quality. But mine isnít hands free, and the sound is absent, not poor quality.

Does the mic need setting up somehow or is it possible that the microphone is dead? Are there any ways to test the non hands free microphones?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th July 2019, 21:58 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by R18a2uk View Post
mine isnít hands free.
Well it is hands free. I mean that I press the sat nav touch screen to pick up the phone. There is a setting to auto answer which I havenít tried yet.

Does this system still use the HFT module that I keep reading about that causes problems? The battery doesnít go flat, apart from today when I spent ages p!ssing about with the car phone settings with the blowers on because it was baking hot.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th July 2019, 22:22
Super Moderator

Car: 10G 1.5 Civic Prestige
Would be useful if you told us what phone you have.
If it's Android, there is a phone setting that assumes that you have a BT headset connected when it connects to BT. It might be that. You have to switch that off. If you have an iThing, then I give up.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 7th July 2019, 23:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Android Sony xz1 compact. Iíve looked in Bluetooth settings and canít find anything obvious. You can click on the various paired devices and find options to toggle but mine just has media audio, call audio and contact sharing, all of which were on. Is this headset option elsewhere?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th July 2019, 18:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I tried two phones and switched off all Google assist etc but it still didn't work.

I pulled down the interior light trim and there's no microphone in the trim, which may explain why noone can hear me!

Is it possible that this car was specced without the microphone from factory? It seems unlikely that it would come with Bluetooth for music, the nav system for using telephone but no microphone.

I currently believe its been removed for some reason. Any idea how to route the wiring from bluetooth module (where is it located on uk model) to the roof? Or are there aftermarket microphones that fit into the module?

Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th July 2019, 18:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I followed a thread on here to find the Bluetooth module and removed the trim under the steering wheel.

In other threads the module is on the back of that trim panel. Mine has nothing attached.

The car is a 61 plate Si trim, so one of the last 8th gen. Does anyone know if the bluetooth changed for this model or am I looking in the wrong place?
Thanks.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 13th July 2019, 19:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

https://h-tune.co.uk/club/threads/di...iew.24072/live

Mods- I hope it's OK to link this. I appreciate its another honda forum.

The second one down, Ssd unit is the one I've got. The trouble shooting guide linked says set incoming and outgoing call volume, before replacing mic. I can only find adjust microphone gain, which I've done without success.

Anyone know these units and how to adjust call volume? Anyone know how to remove them? The troubleshooting pdf has a picture with the microphone input on the back. If I can get it out I may be able to try a different microphone.
Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 6th September 2019, 00:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Nobody likes a dead end thread.

I managed to get this fixed, it was a broken microphone. The link I posted shows the microphone plugs into the rear right end of the ssd unit.

To get to it I followed a guide on YouTube on how to remove the 8th gen civic car radio. The only difference to the ssd in mine was that there were no lower vertical securing screws directly under the radio that needed removing. Other than that it's all identical.

The microphone is a standard microphone jack, maybe 3.5mm. I used an unused old mobile phone microphone I found in a bag of cables. The original microphone cable disappears behind the clocks and I decided it wasn't worth digging around to trace it, so I still don't know where the mic itself is fixed. I just unplugged, taped the end up and fed the new microphone under the dash. It easily passed behind and beneath the radio fascia and I've sandwiched it between the lower trim under the steering wheel and the dashboard.

If anyone else has this issue it's really quite straightforward to see how to route the cable. The biggest PITA was dismantling centre console etc to get the radio panel out.

Hope it helps someone.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page