Other can someone explains subwoofers please? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 8th July 2010, 21:40 Thread Starter
Aye Aye....

Car: 2009 CTR, Milano
Thanked 1,210 Times in 1,056 Posts
can someone explains subwoofers please?

Hi Guys,

I'm sure we're all aware that the sound system in the fn2 is, well rubbish. I've been wanting a sub for a while now but im not sure which one to get and to be honest im not really sure what the figures mean.

My mate has a Vibe Space Active Sub 12", which produces 3000W power at peak and 1000 RMS, can someone explain what these two figures actually relate to in terms of sound/sound quality?

also, i've been looking at a Vibe CBR Active Sub 12" (has anyone used this? it gets very good reviews), this produces 1600W at peak and 800 RMS but whats the difference between that and the one above, i.e. what will that extra power mean? if its just louder im not that fussed, im just looking for a decent kick on the bass as i listen to a lot of R&B/Hip-hop and it just isnt the same on the CTR sound system because its so flat!

cheers guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 9th July 2010, 14:40
Supporter

Watts != sound pressure (how loud it is).

Good speakers have higher sensitivity so can produce louder sound with less watts to them.
Also, pure power has NOTHING to do with sound quality.

You can have 100W sound system which sounds great in car, and 5000W which just rattles your teeth, but all your hear is distortion.

As for car subwoofer -> for 'normal' listening you do not need anything above 400W RMS for subwoofer. And that itself is already quite loud.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 9th July 2010, 14:53
Supporter

Car: 2007 TypeS GT2.2 Red
Send a message via MSN to dunnichen Send a message via Skype™ to dunnichen
boom boom boom...

Job dooone!!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 9th July 2010, 14:55
Strong in me The Force is

Car: 2.2 NHB & 1.8 DBP TypeS
Agree with most of this. If you are not going to switch the stock speakers and amp them, I'd say a decent 4 Ohm 250 watt sub will do the job. BTW when I talk Watt it's always RMS. More than 400-500 watts in a car is by default "to much" because everything around starts to resonate (rattle, vibrate, hum,...) and quality is zero.
In my Civic I have upgraded the standard speakers to Alpines. They are not amped though, so they are still connected to the HU. I added a 8" 4 ohm sub with a decent 300watt amp, and I still had to turn down the sub's volume because it was to loud compared to the sound form the speakers.

K.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 9th July 2010, 21:50 Thread Starter
Aye Aye....
** Thread starter **

Car: 2009 CTR, Milano
Thanked 1,210 Times in 1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7 View Post
Watts != sound pressure (how loud it is).

Good speakers have higher sensitivity so can produce louder sound with less watts to them.
Also, pure power has NOTHING to do with sound quality.

You can have 100W sound system which sounds great in car, and 5000W which just rattles your teeth, but all your hear is distortion.

As for car subwoofer -> for 'normal' listening you do not need anything above 400W RMS for subwoofer. And that itself is already quite loud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koen View Post
Agree with most of this. If you are not going to switch the stock speakers and amp them, I'd say a decent 4 Ohm 250 watt sub will do the job. BTW when I talk Watt it's always RMS. More than 400-500 watts in a car is by default "to much" because everything around starts to resonate (rattle, vibrate, hum,...) and quality is zero.
In my Civic I have upgraded the standard speakers to Alpines. They are not amped though, so they are still connected to the HU. I added a 8" 4 ohm sub with a decent 300watt amp, and I still had to turn down the sub's volume because it was to loud compared to the sound form the speakers.

K.
cheers for the replies lads, i was thinking of gettin the sub (active with built in amp) and changing the front speakers for vibe ones. Im pretty sure that you can change the settings on the subs to lower the power output so that its not on 'full blast' if you like all the time is that true?

i have found the Vibe CBR active online for 169 (RRP300) whihc i thought was a good bargain but i simply wasnt sure if that level of power output would be sufficient as the only one i'd really heard was my mates like i said above...the sound quality from his is really good but im pretty sure he has his turned down low

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page