Other Power to the rear socket?? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11th July 2010, 15:43 Thread Starter
Lord of JAE.....

Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
Power to the rear socket??

Anyone know how I can alter my rear lighter socket to be live permanently? I am thinking of adding a small battery to the side cavity and linking it in, so it charges when driving and then could power items when the engine is off, obviously would need a form of one way circuit, so it would not discharge to rapidly.

I really could have done with this for a cooler box the other day

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12th July 2010, 14:58
Supporter

Hi,

Don't have an answer, but I'd be interested in knowing how...

I was away camping at the weekend and flattened the battery charging my phone from the front cigarette lighter socket with the ignition set to I. Should have known better really but thought I'd get away with it...

For the odd time I need to do it, it'd be safer if I could get the rear socket to run from a live feed, that'd have saved my from bump starting the spaceship.

I was hoping it could be done from the fuse box but haven't looked yet - anyone else tried?

Cheers,

Bruce.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12th July 2010, 15:08 Thread Starter
Lord of JAE.....
** Thread starter **

Car: 58' NHB Type R-GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemeldrum View Post
Hi,

Don't have an answer, but I'd be interested in knowing how...

I was away camping at the weekend and flattened the battery charging my phone from the front cigarette lighter socket with the ignition set to I. Should have known better really but thought I'd get away with it...

For the odd time I need to do it, it'd be safer if I could get the rear socket to run from a live feed, that'd have saved my from bump starting the spaceship.

I was hoping it could be done from the fuse box but haven't looked yet - anyone else tried?

Cheers,

Bruce.
I'm wondering if I can put a gel battery behind the rear panel and and running the wires so it charges during car journeys but can power stuff when the engines off without flattening the battery. But still stuck on the circuitry and wiring, it's the real annoyance of the civics wiring, all my other cars work with the battery off..... grr honda and your shoddy car making....

Tom

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12th July 2010, 16:53
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
I'm wondering if I can put a gel battery behind the rear panel and and running the wires so it charges during car journeys but can power stuff when the engines off without flattening the battery. But still stuck on the circuitry and wiring, it's the real annoyance of the civics wiring, all my other cars work with the battery off..... grr honda and your shoddy car making .... Tom
Doesn't sound like a big or difficult job to me, in principle (knowing bugger-all about it !) ...

Just split the feed to the rear socket (parallel setup), so that both the socket and gel battery are fed when the ignition is on, then when the ignition is off, the gel battery will discharge to the socket (nowhere else for it to go ?) ...

But - amperage from the gel battery ? - fusing - one-way current flow ? - supply to the gel battery can take enough enough amps to charge reasonably quickly ? - I guess it's not all that simple ...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12th July 2010, 17:01
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemeldrum View Post
....... I was away camping at the weekend and flattened the battery charging my phone from the front cigarette lighter socket with the ignition set to I. Should have known better really but thought I'd get away with it ....... Cheers, Bruce.
If it's just your phone, then do what I do and carry a portable recharger with you (and make sure it is charged, as well as the phone !) ...

Mine is the size of a matchbox, microUSB out, miniUSB and microUSB in, will charge my 1600 mAh battery about 1.5 times, from empty ...

Tom's problem isn't that straightforward, though - but, someone in here will be able to advise \ help him, I'm sure ...

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page