Satnav Any problems with satnav/ HFT - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 00:13 Thread Starter

Question Any problems with satnav/ HFT

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase an EX Civic, but have read on the forum that there have been voice recognition problems, and with the HFT not working as it should.

Have the problems now been fixed (i would like to hear from late 56 / 07 owners as well as earlier Civic owners) or is it still ongoing.

If the problem still exists i will probably opt for the es model as there is no point in spending £1100 on something that dosn't work 100% all the time.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 00:15
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
hft works perfectly on my 07 type s.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 00:21

Wasn't so good on my 06 Ex - miles better on my 07 Type R i.e. can read in the phone number quite quickly and it recognises it first time without asking for a repeat.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 00:27
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
I never had any problems with either the HFT or the NAV, I don't recall anyone mentioning any specific problems with the NAV system, dealers have been reasonably quick to sort any HFT problems. I wouldn't be too concerned. My EX is an early 06 model.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 00:55
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Maldax
Mine did need the HFT fix as it was not 100% but it's an easy fix (Now) and I guess getting done in the factory for new models! I would say well worth the extra!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 02:37
Supporter

Hi my EX is just under a week old, the sat nav is great but I tend to use the jog dial to operate it rather than voice control. The jog dial it much quicker and I find the voice control is a bit hit and miss. People say they can hear me quite clearly when on a phone call, even on a motorway at 70 mph but the system just doesn't seem to be able to work out what I am saying when using the voice control.

I have had a number of car kits for phones over the years and the Honda system is ok, incoming calls are never a problem but it seems (from people I have asked on here) with most phones you can't use the phone to dial out. What I mean is you can't enter a number on the phone keypad, use a number stored in the phone or a speed dial as if you do the call transfers to the phone and not in the Honda system so no longer hands free.

You can store around 50 numbers in the car phone book and have a go at dialling them with the voice control, or what a lot of people do is dial on the phone but hang up straight away then using the voice control just say redial.

I am going to double check that the car has had the HFT fix but being less than a week old I would have hoped that it had been done in the factory.

I still think it is worth the extra though and am very happy with it..
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 02:51
King of the rodeo

I agree with candle on the voice recog system. I generally use it more to impress friends than for everyday functions. The jog wheel is quick and easy to use, also more accurate. The voice control is more than just a gimmick but for me its a little hit and miss, and not as straightforward as manual controls.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 13:30
Supporter

Car: 2007 2.2 5 door, Lumpy Black
Send a message via MSN to apemonkeyman Send a message via Yahoo to apemonkeyman Send a message via Skype™ to apemonkeyman
The more I use the satnav the more I am finding annoyances where it sends me on stupid detours for absolutely no reason or ignores certain minor roads when I select "shortest route" despite them being the shortest route.

I use it for traffic issues even on the local roads I know so I know when it is sending me stupid routes. Doesn't build my confidence for the longer unfamiliar routes...

Also it's a shame the voice control doesn't work for spelling out postcodes or placenames. It can deal with strings of numbers fine for phone dialling...
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 13:36
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
the satnav will always have it quirks though. Its no different than if you use a tomtom or garmin etc etc etc.

Voice control is just a gimmick to me. Its slow and does have a mind of its own.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 14:10
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to apemonkeyman Send a message via Yahoo to apemonkeyman Send a message via Skype™ to apemonkeyman
In 12 months of using TomTom I never had an issue with dodgy routes. An example of this...

M5J11a.jpg

If I am approaching this junction of the M5 from the south, wanting to head east on the A417, the satnav will send me west on the A417, turn me around on the roundabout in the top left corner & then back across to the west.

It should take me on the loop to join onto the roundabout to the right of the motorway & then onto the A417 westbound.

Call me fussy if ya like but that ain't right... & the TomTom knows the proper way!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 17:47
King of the rodeo

At least it gets you there and if you don't know the area does it really matter if it takes a slightly unusual route?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 17:54
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechplastik View Post
At least it gets you there and if you don't know the area does it really matter if it takes a slightly unusual route?
Totally agree, plus I have been very impressed at how quickly it recalculates the route if you go wrong or decide to take your own route part of the way if you know it. My old car took forever and I would sometimes have to pull over and wait for it.

It is a good system in my opinion and I like the fact I don't have to unplug it and remember to take it with me all the time..
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 18:02
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apemonkeyman View Post
In 12 months of using TomTom I never had an issue with dodgy routes. An example of this...

Attachment 2660

If I am approaching this junction of the M5 from the south, wanting to head east on the A417, the satnav will send me west on the A417, turn me around on the roundabout in the top left corner & then back across to the west.

It should take me on the loop to join onto the roundabout to the right of the motorway & then onto the A417 westbound.

Call me fussy if ya like but that ain't right... & the TomTom knows the proper way!
I have a tomtom and as a driver have used it alot. The number of times it has come up with crazy routes is just unbelievable, or gets you to try and turn down rds that dont exist or wrong way down one way street.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 19:44
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
The biggest benefit for me, comparing the built in sat nav to the Tom Tom I had running on my PDA, was the (lack of) start up time.

It may be that my PDA wasn't up to spec, or the version of TomTom has been improved with later releases, or it may have been an issue with my GPS mouse...

BUT

With my Tom Tom, I was often left having to sit in the car park / side of the road / etc for about 10 mins whilst it got a GPS signal and worked out where I was.
It then took another couple of mins to calc the route home.
Generally it dealt with tunnels ok - but got confused if there was slow moving traffic in the tunnel and I didn't get through it as quickly as it thought I should.

With the built in Sat Nav, it comes awake (and locked on to GPS) within 30seconds.
Route calcs take maybe 10seconds.
Tunnels etc aren't a problem, because it's linked to the wheel rotations )oe whatever other clever thing it is)

And - I don't have any mounting brackets / wires etc on display shouting 'break in - you might be lucky and find the Sat Nav system in the glovebox!'

HFT - mine works well.
Yes, there are some niggles, and it would be handy to
a) be able to use the voice tags on the phone to call
b) have incoming calls to display the number (or name if in the phonebook) that is calling

Every time I use it for the first call of the journey, it interprets my 'redial' as 'star 1 8' - no idea why
Hit end, say 'redial' and it's fine

so, couple of minor gripes, but still (imo) very worth while getting the combination
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 20:33
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechplastik View Post
As I said, only use it on a local trip for traffic info. If it's going to navigate a stupid route then it isn't going to warn me of traffic problems on the route I am going to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candle View Post
It is a good system in my opinion and I like the fact I don't have to unplug it and remember to take it with me all the time..
Spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type S Bournemouth View Post
I have a tomtom and as a driver have used it alot. The number of times it has come up with crazy routes is just unbelievable, or gets you to try and turn down rds that dont exist or wrong way down one way street.
Actually this is bringing to mind some screw-ups at just the wrong times. It always got the local routes fine, & most of my longer trips, but occasionally it has really mucked up making me 30 mins late for an interview. I take it all back about TomTom. ******* thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDegs View Post
HFT - mine works well.
Yes, there are some niggles, and it would be handy to
a) be able to use the voice tags on the phone to call
My biggest HFT bugbear is having to maintain 2nd phonebook cos of this.

Quote:
b) have incoming calls to display the number (or name if in the phonebook) that is calling
...I kind of like the surprise! But I wouldn't grumble if it did this too.

Quote:
Every time I use it for the first call of the journey, it interprets my 'redial' as 'star 1 8' - no idea why
Hit end, say 'redial' and it's fine
I often find 1st time I use a voice tag on a journey it interprets this as a number, 2nd time it gets it right(ish).
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 20:39
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by apemonkeyman View Post

Attachment 2660

I also find that the satnav has trouble with slip roads. It often misses out those slip roads that can turn you left at a roundabout - very odd.

FWIW here's what Navteq (the Honda maps) make of your junction:

brockworth.gif
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 18th March 2007, 22:48
Supporter

Ah, just reported this to Navteq. Fussy git I know but if ya don't say they won't fix it.... also asked them to include my 2 year old address on their maps so I can find my way home when it's dark.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 19th March 2007, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by candle View Post
Totally agree, plus I have been very impressed at how quickly it recalculates the route if you go wrong or decide to take your own route part of the way if you know it. My old car took forever and I would sometimes have to pull over and wait for it.

The other thing that has impressed me is that once you do find out about these things and take the better route and ignore the sat nav, it does actually learn and takes you the right way next time
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 19th March 2007, 12:37
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjelsworth View Post
The other thing that has impressed me is that once you do find out about these things and take the better route and ignore the sat nav, it does actually learn and takes you the right way next time
Haven't noticed mine doing that.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 19th March 2007, 13:16

hft problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhopkins View Post
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase an EX Civic, but have read on the forum that there have been voice recognition problems, and with the HFT not working as it should.

Have the problems now been fixed (i would like to hear from late 56 / 07 owners as well as earlier Civic owners) or is it still ongoing.

If the problem still exists i will probably opt for the es model as there is no point in spending £1100 on something that dosn't work 100% all the time.

Thanks
i purchased (well company did for me) 2.2 exec as they thought hft would be good for me 40000mls per annum and i am having nothing but problems and honda uk wont accept there is anything wrong when i have call waiting bluetooth disconnects and on many occasions voice regognition is awful tried to make a call to a name and took 32 attempts before acknowledging right name i have had fone nokia 62301 checked and software upgraded to honda spec but still having major problems wish i had installed old hands free ca kit and not wasted over £1100 as this product in my opinion is not it for purpose

charlieboy

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page