Satnav Sat Nav problems - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 24th August 2010, 12:21 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: (56) 2.2 CTDI EX Black
Sat Nav problems

Hi all
Not having much luck again at the moment!
Sat nav has packed in and keeps saying 'DVD disc read error, please contact dealer'. Took out DVD to insert cleaning DVD and noticed a circular scratch round edge of face of the DVD, as if the reading lens has been in contact with it. Its never been out of the unit before so not damaged from external source. Needless to say, the cleaning disc hasn't worked. Has anyone else had this?
Just as a rant unfortunately at the same time the air con has totally packed in (climate works but no cold air, even on lo setting) and EPS warning light keeps coming on at startup with no power steering (been into dealers 4 times for this, they just clear fault codes and I keep saying they need to replace EPS control unit as per the wiki). This is after recent clutch failure (luckily paid for by Honda but still hassle) and a seized rear caliper which knackered the rear disc as well costing me 500 notes in total.
So, in 8 months of ownership, this will be the 9th trip to 2 different dealers, on a 3.5 year old car with a mint service history and only 50k miles. Won't be keeping it much longer, had enough, never again Honda.

Any advice on the Sat Nav would be welcomed though, many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 24th August 2010, 12:34
Banned

Car: 59 Championship White
Hi Andy sorry to hear about ALL your problems.

Sounds lke you'll have to get the Stealers to exchange the head unit on your Sat Nav, as the disc lense has collapsed. No repair available it will be a full head unit replacemant., plus a new disc "free cratis from Honda" if still under warranty.

Best of luck with it matie.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th September 2010, 10:34 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Update:
Aircon working now and EPS control unit replaced at Avondale Coventry under extended warranty. Excellent service if anyone is searching for a good dealer in the area.
On the Satnav front (I don't blame Avondale themselves for this, its just the Honda procedure) its a different story. Although its covered under warranty, they are saying I should try a new disc before they send the head unit away for repair. This is because the repair place will use their own DVD and if it works, I'll get charged over 200 for unnecessary work. I still know in my head that the unit must have caused this as how else could the DVD have been damaged? Its never been out and the scratches are circular, indicating something in contact with the DVD when running.
I wish now I'd had a backup DVD done but didn't. What I am worried about is spending 40+ on a DVD off ebay etc and the unit wrecking that one as well. I guess I should test it one way or another so if anyone has any suggestions or a 2006-07 DVD for sale at a decent price, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th September 2010, 21:48

Never tried this myself, and certainly not suggesting anyone should try to copy the satnav dvd (though one link here says there's now copy protection on the sat nav dvd to prevent that), but what if you try your existing dvd in your pc to see if it can at least be recognized?
Thanks to civic1.8 from:
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th September 2010, 22:05

Car: 2013 1.8 Crystal Black EX
Why not take the dvd to somewhere like Game who have a machine for skimming layers off disks so that they work again. Worked a charm on my xbox games, costs less than a fiver as well.

Got to be worth a shot!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 9th September 2010, 22:32 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

All
Thanks for the advice
Thanks to Pottsy who is an incredibly decent chap I am now sorted with a genuine original 3.03 version.
Works a treat so we'll see if the unit munches that one in time and if so can send away for repair under warranty with some confidence.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 29th October 2010, 15:08

Sat Nav

Dear Andy

I myself have just recently experienced exactly the same problem with the Sat Nav; same circular etching on the disk which must be caused by the drive itself and which causes the sat nav to fail.

Honda (Thames Ditton) told me exactly the same thing. I.e not working due to the scratch on the disk and possibly need to send the DVD drive away to be serviced.

I refused and instead bought a disk cleaning kit (SkipDr) for 20 which has taken the scratch out of the disk and it now works fine.

My concern is that whatever caused the scratch in the disk (presumably a collpased lens in the drive) will eventually scratch the disk again.

How have you got on since using the new disk; has it scratched again?

Cheers
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2010, 02:04

Car: 2015 CR-V EX 2015
So has anyone copied the dvd as a backup? it would be a worthwhile exercise to save yourself 150 for a new disc... I don't like the sound of replacing the unit... i can see it costing
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2nd November 2010, 07:56
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donchichi View Post
So has anyone copied the dvd as a backup? it would be a worthwhile exercise to save yourself 150 for a new disc... I don't like the sound of replacing the unit... i can see it costing

nobodys tried it on here, try ebay for an updated version
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 3rd November 2010, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee58 View Post
No repair available it will be a full head unit replacemant.

This is not true - I had my out of warrenty unit repaired by Alpine. See http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electro...blem-help.html

Last edited by voicey; 3rd November 2010 at 13:05. Reason: Spelling
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 15th September 2011, 13:11
Supporter

Car: 2008 Golf Gti
Hi sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm experiencing the exact same fault with the nav DVD, I just wanted to ask if the new disk is still working fine? Or did it get scratched again? Did you have to get the DVD unit repaired/replaced?
And I also wanted to know if the dealer replaces the DVD disc under warranty or do you have to purchase a new one? Mine is out of date it's version 3.2, but I don't want to pay put for the latest version for it to get scratched by a faulty unit and end up out of pocket...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 15th September 2011, 13:56
Supporter

Car: 1.8cc EX, 5dr
subscribed.

yes im also wanting to know if they dvd can be copied as back up and back up be used instead.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 15th September 2011, 14:07
Supporter

Car: 2008 Golf Gti
I've just found a solution in the supporters forum
I don't think I'm allowed to say anymore than that so I would recommend becoming a supporter...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 15th September 2011, 18:37
Supporter

Car: 2010 Volvo C30 R-Design
If the unit does need refurbishing the Alpine service is pretty good; my unit died a death by the Berlin Wall (absolutely true too!) and I removed the unit myself in about one hour; the repair was done and the unit returned in just over a week, refitted in an hour and no problems since; repair cost of the unit including courier redelivery was 179.00 and the words of a wise man like Harz are priceless......

Enigmatically,

Trabant Dave
Thanks to Trabant Dave from:

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page