Satnav Satnav and Reversing Camera Problem - Help! - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 26th August 2010, 10:01 Thread Starter

Satnav and Reversing Camera Problem - Help!

The satanv and reversing camera (factory fitted) in my 2.2 EX stopped working last ngiht. I tried again this morning but no joy. When you turn the car on the satnav boots up and I get the usual disclaimer screen. After pressing the button I get a map but it's not when the car is located. When I'm driving the map doesn't move when I'm driving, although it does spin round when I'm turning - I'm guessing it's not getting a GPS signal but is getting the steering wheel input.

To compound things, the reversing camera also stopped working last night too. When it is put into reverse I hear the beeps of the sensors but the screen stays on the map (of the wrong place!).

It was raining very heavily last night - is likely to be the cause? I'm going try and reset the system with the three fingered jobbie later tonight. Has anyone had this problem before? Any help would be greatly appriciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 26th August 2010, 10:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

My girlfriend is using the car today as has just emailed me with an update:

Intermittently when I've gone into reverse the camera will flicker on and then go off again - perhaps there is a lose connection?

The GPS- it finally moved position and then got stuck again on the updated location. I would imagine for that reason that the sat nav isn't working (i.e. the voice doesn't tell me where to go and the route doesn't appear on the right hand side of the map).

Any help would be appriciated!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 26th August 2010, 14:58
Foglight Covers FORSALE

dont sound good! you can manually set the car to where you are on the map. It takes it along time to get a sat signal so thats right. do a full system reset by resetting the sdram in the nav unit diagnostic settings. done this with mine and all seams fine now after it kept losing its way.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 27th August 2010, 20:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the input. I had some time to investigate this evening....

- First off I did a reset by forcing it to download the version from the disc. Reset was performed OK but it didn't help.

- I took it for a spin whilst in the diagnostic menu and the latitude and longitude were updating no problem. Unfortunatly when I went into the map it wasn't moving at all. The GPS signal is good and strong and updating - it's just not being translated into a position on the map!

- I went through each of the diagnostic checks in the menu and it reported that everything was working OK, but it didn't help with the map staying static.

- I then ejected the disc to have a look. Although there were no scratches it did have some moisture on it. I wiped it, put it back in - no joy.

I'm going to try and dry out the dvd reader. I've left the door open and the disc out for the time being and I'm trying to get my hands on some silca gel to lob in the glove box.

I'll report back but if anyone has any broght ideas or suggestions please let me know!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 27th August 2010, 21:31

is your car under warranty?........perhapse honda can help? it may be that the problem is with the dvd drive unit. they are not cheep to buy however so it may be wise to see if it is still under warranty.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 27th August 2010, 21:37 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy_634 View Post
is your car under warranty?........perhapse honda can help? it may be that the problem is with the dvd drive unit. they are not cheep to buy however so it may be wise to see if it is still under warranty.
Sadly, it's an '07'. Otherwise it'd be straight back to the dealer!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 27th August 2010, 21:43

have you taken out an extended warranty? idealy i would suggest swapping the dvd drive unit with annother vehicle to see if the fault transfers. as there is allso a problem with the camera however i would suggest removing the headunit and check the connections to it. the two may be related?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 27th August 2010, 21:47 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy_634 View Post
have you taken out an extended warranty? idealy i would suggest swapping the dvd drive unit with annother vehicle to see if the fault transfers. as there is allso a problem with the camera however i would suggest removing the headunit and check the connections to it. the two may be related?

Removing the headunit and testing the connections is my next move. Unfortunately I've got to prep my other car (an F360) for a run down to the Alps the following weekend.

I'll keep you all posted...
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 27th August 2010, 22:09
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
The camera connects to the rear of the navigation unit in the glovebox. Although possible, I very much doubt it's the connection being loose as it's a substantial plug. I does sound like a short or moisture problem to me.
Btw, removing the nav unit is quite a big job, involving the removal of the centre console, head unit and glovebox (unless someone has discovered a way of removing the glovebox without removing the other bits).

Actually, just thought, it's possible the camera itself is damaged or wet?? And when the nav unit detects a video source (specifically a positive input from the reversing circuit ) it actual reverses the movement/direction of the gps/map and maybe that's why it does not know where it is??
There is a dig screen which shows the reverse input status - I wil look in the morning and try to find out some more for you
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 27th August 2010, 22:18 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
The camera connects to the rear of the navigation unit in the glovebox. Although possible, I very much doubt it's the connection being loose as it's a substantial plug. I does sound like a short or moisture problem to me.
Btw, removing the nav unit is quite a big job, involving the removal of the centre console, head unit and glovebox (unless someone has discovered a way of removing the glovebox without removing the other bits).

Actually, just thought, it's possible the camera itself is damaged or wet?? And when the nav unit detects a video source (specifically a positive input from the reversing circuit ) it actual reverses the movement/direction of the gps/map and maybe that's why it does not know where it is??
There is a dig screen which shows the reverse input status - I wil look in the morning and try to find out some more for you
Thank you for the informative post. I've no problems in pulling the dash - it's just I don't have the time at the moment. I like the idea of the camera being damp and reckon it'd be easy to check. Also, my girlfriend (who uses the car all the time) says that sometimes the reversing screen flickers on briefly when engaging reverse.

I shall investigate tomorrow but if you could find out about the diagnostic screen I would be grateful!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 12:15
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
Ok, this is the screen you need....

photo.JPG

Go to the diag menu --> Car Status (Not sure if it's that easy to find on an 07 as I have slightly different menu's in my 09 from what I can remember of my old 06).

'Back' shows 1 when reverse is engaged, so if it showing when it's not, I would suspect there is a short/prob on the reverse circiut. It works by the Nav unit getting +12v signal when the reversing lights come on, this is how it knows how to switch over to the camera video signal. This a separate circuit to the cam, so my earlier thought about the cam being prob could be wrong.
Thanks to Bog from:
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 13:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks Bog - the mystery deepens! I found the menu with the "back" item in. The trouble is, back is set to zero regardless of whether the car is in reverse, neutral or a forward gear. I've attached a photo of the menu whilst reverse was enaged.

I also recorded the current lat/long position from the diagnostic menu - when I pumped it into google maps it was the exact place the car was positioned. The satnav map was showing a completely different location!

It looks like I'm going to have to pull the dash and do some proper diagnostic on the signals - watch this space!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00087-20100828-1222.jpg (55.1 KB, 82 views)
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 15:14
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
Hmmm.... Interesting

Can I ask a stupid question?.... do your reversing lights come on?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 15:15
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicey View Post

I also recorded the current lat/long position from the diagnostic menu - when I pumped it into google maps it was the exact place the car was positioned. The satnav map was showing a completely different location!
How far away, metres, miles???
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 15:31 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Hmmm.... Interesting

Can I ask a stupid question?.... do your reversing lights come on?
Already checked that - both working fine.

Quote:
How far away, metres, miles???
I would say about a mile.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 19:37
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
Strange, cos if it was stuck on 1 then I could understand it being out cos the navi unit would think you are going backwards all the time.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 19:59 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Indeed. I'll pull the dash and test the signals going to the unit. Thanks for all your help with this dude.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 20:25
Bog
Supporter

Eco display
No probs... Still got me thinking cap on for ya
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 21:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks fella. I'm probably not going to have time to sort it this side of my trip to the Alps but will definitely keep you posted.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 18th September 2010, 16:01 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Well I pulled the dash out today to do some investigation. First of all I tried removing the connecter for the rear view camera to see if that was causing the navigation unit problems - it wasn't.

As I am getting a constant zero in the "back" part of the menu I tested the brown wire that tells the unit that reverse has been selected - the wire goes 12v when the car is put in reverse.

I'm thinking more and more that the navigation unit is broken. Is the unit one piece - ie: the dvd drive and the unit are one?

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page