Electrics Engine cooling fan fault? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 17:14 Thread Starter
Supporter

Engine cooling fan fault?

I have noticed that my radiator fan seems to be coming on and off more than usual. the temp gague reads fine but it repeatedly comes on and off all the time as soon as I stop. Can anybody shed and light on this possible problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 17:57

you may find it is just the climate controll but there is a common problem with the earlyer civics where the ect2 sensor corrodes. i would expect the engine light to be on however but i would get it checked out. if it is corroded and left to the point of the pins inside the connector to snapping off, you may be looking at having to buy a new engine wiring loom. regards climate controll it will cut the fans in whenever the a/c is used to draw air through the condenser. normal opperation.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 19:24 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I do not tend to use the a/c and at the moment I have the temp set at 19 with just the single speed fan on. Where is the ect2 sensor located.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 19:39
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan View Post
I have noticed that my radiator fan seems to be coming on and off more than usual. the temp gague reads fine but it repeatedly comes on and off all the time as soon as I stop. Can anybody shed and light on this possible problem.
Sounds like it's working fine to me, it may seem like it is cutting in more if you have been doing a bit more urban town driving (start / stop) as the thermostat will open when stationary to try and bring temps down to optimal running temperature (probably around 80-90).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 20:17 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Just to add a bit more info, I started the car today and left it to get up to temp with out going anywhere, temp gauge reading normal no over heat and it started to come on and off. This does not seem normal to me.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 22:07
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan View Post
Just to add a bit more info, I started the car today and left it to get up to temp with out going anywhere, temp gauge reading normal no over heat and it started to come on and off. This does not seem normal to me.
Perfectly normal, take it to Honda if you are unsure.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 28th August 2010, 22:49

so is it normal for it never to come on?...........coolant fans come on for a reason, and it is to keep things cool. if your car is sat in traffic or stood still even for a few minuits when it is up to running temp the fans will periodicaly kick in. if however they run constantly especialy with a cold engine you have a problem. i get many customers who do not know how there climate controll works. if you set the temp to auto whether it is low or 19oC the A/C will be activated and the fans will run. this is the optimum condition to achieve the desired temp as quickly as possible. however if you do not want the fans to run or have the A/C turned off set the temp manualy and press the A/C button ensuring it says off on the display.
if in doubt have honda take a look at it, a good dealer may not even charge for a quick look.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 29th August 2010, 09:31

fan keeps coming on

Hi
I had the same happening to me, so i took to local dealers to ask question as I was new to Honda, turns out its the climate control. It has a default setting when ever the car is restarted the climate control reverts back to being on even though it does not show on the display (sounds odd i know but he was right) when you start the car turn the climate control off and it will stop this problem... hope this helps

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page