Battery Dead battery - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2007, 23:14 Thread Starter

Dead battery

Hello everyone. It turns out I don't drive my Civic enough.

This afternoon, when I was going to load stuff into my car for next morning, the key button didn't open the car doors. The battery was dead. Fortunately, a neighbor happened to pass by, and helped me get the car cable-started (followed by ear-piercing burglar alarm, since I had not opened the door locks with the code key).

For several weeks I have been a good sport and walked to work most days, only driving on fridays and sometimes in weekends. And this had gradually drained the battery. Gah! I thought this couldn't happen with modern cars, but apparently it does!

I suppose I need something to keep the battery charged even when I'm not driving. Any recommendations?

I keep my car in the house's garage, where every parking place has an electric outlet with a 2-hour timer (you can pre-heat your car for 2 hours before departure). Is a 2-hour time window enough for charging a car battery, or at least keep it alive?

Is there anything I should do to the battery now that it has died once, and has only been barely charged for now?

Last edited by Skaven252; 22nd March 2007 at 23:17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2007, 23:33
PTR

I would go for a bit longer journey or put on the charger for more hours.

When you are done, battery fully charged the 2h daily charging will be enough to keep the batt in a good condition!
It would be good to buy a quality charger and set a current limit at 4-5Amps.... then don't have to worry about your batt. anymore!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007, 00:00
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
This can happen in any car, all batterys will run out eventually. If you are going to have long periods of non-usage i recommend using a trickle charger to keep it topped up so it's ready for action when you are!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007, 00:11

When i first got my civic this happened a couple of times and after a trip to the honda dealer they found a lose connection on the back of the radio - never had a problem since might be worth them sticking it on their computer for a while which is how they found mine.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007, 07:03 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTR View Post
It would be good to buy a quality charger and set a current limit at 4-5Amps.... then don't have to worry about your batt. anymore!
A friend of mine told me to go as high as 20 amps (with a quality charger) to make sure the battery gets fully charged. Another friend of mine told me that a too powerful charge may damage the battery. Which one of them is right?

I've been thinking about getting one of these, so it would be installed under the bonnet and get its power from the same plug as the engine block and interior heaters. Should be handier and more "available" than a separate charger.

You see, I ran into an embarassing practical problem when my battery was dead. I kept the starter cables in the secret compartment in the bottom of the trunk. As the trunk door couldn't be opened, I had to fold the seats and crawl into the trunk, only to find that the compartment won't open very far because the door prevents it. Luckily there was enough gap for me to squeeze my arm in and pull out the cables.

(Is there a way to open the door manually without electricity? Gotta consult the manual...)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007, 07:15
Captain Slog

Car: 07 2.2 NHB sunroof & camera
I have seen solar powered trickle chargers that plug into the lighter socket. The panels are placed on the dashboard, under the windscreen.

I don't know if you get enough ambient lighting in Finland though!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007, 07:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyJohn View Post
I don't know if you get enough ambient lighting in Finland though!
I doubt it. Especially in my garage, under a concrete roof.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007, 09:43

Skaven, did you turn your lights off from the AUTO setting? If not, that's one cause..
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007, 10:50 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I always turn my lights "OFF", because in Scandinavia they have been set so that the lights are always on when the car is running (even when set to "OFF").

How does the "OFF" setting use up battery?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007, 11:05

I used to have a 12volt trickle charger that can (and is remomended) to be left on all the time. It's about the size of a laptop transformer and can be installed inside the car.

I think it's designed for motorcycles but works equally well on cars.

Definately works as I used to have flat battery on my MGF when it was hardly used over winter, Since installing the charger it always starts first time.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007, 12:12
Smell My Cheese!

I overheard a discussion between a salesman and a customer whilst waiting in the service area, the lady wanted to see the dash as she had heard about it, the comment was that the batteries go dead really quick on the Civic if you don't use them, at that point she left, with the comment that she would only use the car every couple of weeks. Mines been okay when left for a fortnight when on holiday, might think twice about leaving it for 2 weeks in winter though.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007, 12:44
Supporter

Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaven252 View Post
Thanks for your replies!

A friend of mine told me to go as high as 20 amps (with a quality charger) to make sure the battery gets fully charged. Another friend of mine told me that a too powerful charge may damage the battery. Which one of them is right?

I've been thinking about getting one of these, so it would be installed under the bonnet and get its power from the same plug as the engine block and interior heaters. Should be handier and more "available" than a separate charger.

You see, I ran into an embarassing practical problem when my battery was dead. I kept the starter cables in the secret compartment in the bottom of the trunk. As the trunk door couldn't be opened, I had to fold the seats and crawl into the trunk, only to find that the compartment won't open very far because the door prevents it. Luckily there was enough gap for me to squeeze my arm in and pull out the cables.

(Is there a way to open the door manually without electricity? Gotta consult the manual...)
Hi,
There is a small cover on the inside of the hatch which,when removed gives you access to the latch,Flicking this opens the hatch from inside the car.Had to use this method myself.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 23rd March 2007, 13:27 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich View Post
the batteries go dead really quick on the Civic if you don't use them, at that point she left, with the comment that she would only use the car every couple of weeks. Mines been okay when left for a fortnight when on holiday, might think twice about leaving it for 2 weeks in winter though.
I guess the problem, in my case, is not how long the car remains completely unused, but rather, how long I drive whenever I use the car. Most of the trips I've made in the recent weeks have been way under 15 minutes, which, I guess, is not enough to compensate for the charge used whenever the car is started. So the frequent starts and too short charge cycles eventually drained the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair b View Post
There is a small cover on the inside of the hatch which,when removed gives you access to the latch,Flicking this opens the hatch from inside the car.Had to use this method myself.
Thanks for the tip! Gotta find it and try it, in case for future battery incidents.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12th October 2009, 11:02
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to DUNCAN
any one or honda dealer nows the cause for the flat battery..?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12th October 2009, 17:09
Supporter

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Most commonly the MICU, but details are here: Flat battery - Civinfo Wiki
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 14th October 2009, 22:42
Supporter

can you bump start a civic.if you have no jump leads
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 15th October 2009, 01:06

there are many threads and posts dotted about the forum on dead batteries. the draw on the battery needs to be measured and diagnosis made on this measurement. most good honda dealers will look at your car at your conveniance. allthough being a mechanic myself i would suggest leaving the car with the dealer for at leist half a day so a good diagnosis can be made, and fix the problem first time arround.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 16th October 2009, 19:38
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNCAN View Post
can you bump start a civic.if you have no jump leads
???

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page