Battery Flat Battery - Honda HFT Problem? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 8th October 2010, 11:12 Thread Starter
Supporter

Flat Battery - Honda HFT Problem?

I cam to start my car earlier in the week and the battery was flat, no lights on the dash at all when I turned the key. I charged the battery up and since then everything has been OK, I use the car every day and it starts with no hesitation.

I have noticed that the hands free isn't working, my iPhone used to connect up automatically and now it doesnt (no tel symbol on the display) also, when I press the buttons on the wheel I get no beep fromt he handsfree to say it's started.

I'm wondering if the HFT might have crashed, and it's draining the battery over time? I'm off on holiday tomorrow so it's going to be sat in the airport car park for a week, and I'd really really like it to start when I get back!

Has anyone had any experience of this before? I'm thinking of popping the fuse out for the HFT (I think it's shared with the radio?) when I park it up, and then get the garage to have a look at it when get back. Has anyone seen anything like this happen before?

Cheers
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 8th October 2010, 11:25
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
It may well be the HFT causing the fault as you suspect but there are a number of other reasons your battery could be going flat.

Flat battery - Civinfo Wiki
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 8th October 2010, 20:54 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the link. I don't have the time to get it looked at properly now so I'm going to hedge my bets and pull interior fuse 35.

If it doesn't work, well thats what I pay the AA for I suppose!

Cheers,
Thomas

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 8th October 2010, 21:23

10 says it won`t start; Bought my 1.8 Civic new in 2008. I only ever go on hol. for 1 week at a time, that`s approx 6 weeks hol every year, 2.5 yrs that`s 15 individual weeks. My car has only ever started once following a weeks hol. Reported this to local Honda Stealer. " nothing wrong with the car Sir". AA man tells me manufacturers are putting smallest battery they can on cars. I now carry a battery starter pack 30 from Machine Mart. Highly recommended if your leaving at Airport, rather than home. Even so, on start up with bat. pack, hazards flash uncontrollably for 20 mins. before car can be safely driven.
ECU now playing up, Stealer says could be petrol problem...`my arse`!
Anyway, have a nice hol, and good luck!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 8th October 2010, 22:28
Banned

Car: 59 Championship White
Make sure you DON'T leave your car in the garage for more than a couple of day's with,

1. Light's on AUTO

2. Wipers on AUTO

This WILL flatten the battery.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11th October 2010, 15:24

Don`t leave mine in a garage, but it might be worth taking all controls of Auto. as a precautionary measure. Still think battery is too small!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 15th October 2010, 23:10
Supporter

Car: 2007 CTDI EX, in RED!
This seems to be a more and more common issue now. My Mum's Mk3 MR2 does this all teh time, seemedly within a week, and there's not that many toys on one of them. My MX5, with a PP9 battery in the boot, can be left for over 3 weeks and started on the button. I think it's a modern car thing.

Only suggestion to get out of it,without all the grief of jump starting (and risks that presents) is to connect a proprietary trickle charger if the cars kept on your property, or make a point of taking it for a twenty minute spin every week.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 18th October 2010, 07:17
Supporter

Car: NHB 07 Civic SE.
My battery went flat,it got started with a battery starter,the passenger window wont open from drivers side,opens from pass side,and the CD player doesnt read the track names,only says track playing time.....any ideas guys??
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 18th October 2010, 13:54
...............Daedalus

Car: CW Type R No. 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Witch View Post
My battery went flat,it got started with a battery starter,the passenger window wont open from drivers side,opens from pass side,and the CD player doesnt read the track names,only says track playing time.....any ideas guys??
There's a 'How-To' on the forum on how to 'reset' the windows if they stop working properly. As for the CD player, I don't know mate.
I've never had problems with my battery though... I've not touched the car for 2-3 weeks at a time with both auto lights and wipers on and it will start no problem. Maybe previous owner installed a new battery or something...dunno.
Thanks to mpn_daedalus from:
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 18th October 2010, 19:54 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnowl View Post
10 says it won`t start;
10 to that man

The AA started it with the booster pack, he tested it and said the charging circuit was fine. I'd had the HFT fuse pulled so I'm non the wiser as to what's draining the battery. It needs a service so I'll get Honda to service it, fix the HFT and work out what's inhaling the battery at the same time.

Thomas
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 19th October 2010, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Witch View Post

From the passenger door, push window button until window gets to the bottom, then hold button down for 3 seconds, then raise window to the top and then keep the button held up for 3 seconds after its got to the top, then it should work from the drivers door. You have to teach the one touch system where the top and bottom of the window travel is.
The cd display, the unit has gone back to default and that is to show track time, press DISP beside cd slot and the info will come up.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 19th October 2010, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtech View Post
I cam to start my car earlier in the week and the battery was flat, no lights on the dash at all when I turned the key. I charged the battery up and since then everything has been OK, I use the car every day and it starts with no hesitation.

I have noticed that the hands free isn't working, my iPhone used to connect up automatically and now it doesnt (no tel symbol on the display) also, when I press the buttons on the wheel I get no beep fromt he handsfree to say it's started.

I'm wondering if the HFT might have crashed, and it's draining the battery over time? I'm off on holiday tomorrow so it's going to be sat in the airport car park for a week, and I'd really really like it to start when I get back!

Has anyone had any experience of this before? I'm thinking of popping the fuse out for the HFT (I think it's shared with the radio?) when I park it up, and then get the garage to have a look at it when get back. Has anyone seen anything like this happen before?

Cheers
Thomas
Air con relay, sticking on. Intermittent fault. Very cheep to replace, DIY.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 22nd October 2010, 11:38 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Sounds like that might be worth a punt for a cheap fix.

Where is the AC relay located? Is it a common part or will I need to go to the dealer parts desk to get a replacement?

Cheers
Thomas
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11th November 2010, 15:05

I have similar issue. My battery went flat around the same time that the first cold spell happened - end of october. First thought with a 4 year old car was the battery had gone. Replaced battery, then took a long drive to Manchester (from Luton), left car overnight and new battery dead.

However on the same trip realised my air-con wasn't working properly. Battery kept loosing charge overnight over the following week, took to dealership who told me air-con relay had gone, but couldn't find a reason the battery was going. Tried to sell me (another) new battery. In the mean time i have manually switched my air-con off and the car starts every time now. It is now in my work car park with the air-con on again to see if it drains the battery.

In the mean time i have ordered a relay (about 25 from dealership i think). Will let you all know the results!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11th November 2010, 15:22 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I found two relays in the fusebox on the battery that I could hear clicked on with the AC/Climate control so I popped both of these out, however my battery still died after a week.

It's strange in that it doesn't give any signs of running flat, it'll work perfectly well one day, then the next day I come to start it and it doesn't even have a flicker of life left in it!

The last thing I tried was pulling out the Honda HFT box, as that was behaving strangely before all of this began. It's been OK for a week now, but I have been using it daily so it probably keeps the battery topped off.

I don't like being beaten by a problem like this, but if it fails again I might have to let the garage fix it

Let me know how you get on with the relay!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 15th November 2010, 18:13

Relay replaced, took all of 30seconds. Since then have been using car most days, leaving over night and during the day at the office. Left all weekend. Have tried different settings with A/C, leaving it on, off and on auto.

My battery would go dead over the 8/9hours at the office and over night. So i think it has been cured - but it was a bit hit and miss. Also, when i was picking up the parts from Honda, a mechanic said it is a quite common occurance that a stuck/faulty relay can drain the battery. But they still didn't pick up on this the two times I left it with them - great.

So far no flat battery. However i haven't taken the jump leads out the car yet.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 15th November 2010, 18:19 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Excellent, that's good to hear!

Mines been OK (touch wood) since I unplugged the HFT, so I think that might have been the culprit all along. It's in for a service soon so I'll mention it to the mechanics and see if they have any ideas.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 23rd December 2010, 10:42

I have just had a 17 nights hol. ( 3rd to 17th Nov 2010) where the car was stood on my drive unused. It started 1st time. This is only the second time in 2.75 yrs that it has started following a hol. I have had the car from new. See my previous post above. I have done two things differently than before. 1 x turned off Auto. lights and wipers; & 2 x fitted a solar trickle charger. This solar charger was about 20. It sits on the dash and connects to the cig.lighter. I wasn`t sure that this would work as the lighter plug is not live with the ignition off. However, the combination seems to have worked. The charger is now left perm. on the dash. My overall opinion of this Civic problem is that Hondas are fitting a battery that is too small, (ampage wise), for the car. I bought the charger through the I.A.M magazine, but you may be able to locate one thro` E-bay.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2011, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtech View Post

Cheers
Thomas

Did you find out what was wrong with your HFT? I've got the same problem
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 22nd March 2011, 16:04 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

No progress, sorry! I've just left it unplugged since and the car has been fine. There is a little black box behind the dash near the drivers right leg with a bluetooth logo on in, that's what I've unplugged.

I'd forgotten all about it to be honest, I think I'll have another go with it this weekend and see how it goes. I've had a few different iPhones in the past and I've got an iPhone 4 now, I suppose it could be something on the phone that's causing it to crash and not shut down when the car is stopped. I'll plug it in again and see if I can reset all the settings. I'll let you know if I somehow manage to fix it!

Cheers
Thomas

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page