Other Aftermarket head up display? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 19th October 2010, 10:35 Thread Starter
Supporter

Question Aftermarket head up display?

Sitting in the dentists waiting room yesterday morning I made the mistake of flicking through one of the (German) car magazines.

I found an advert for this HUD on amazon.de:

There are apparently 2 versions, both of which connect to the OBD2 connector.

One gives tyre pressure via external sensors, which replace the valve caps and the other also gives tyre temperature from internal sensors.

Anyone got one of these already?
Any opinions?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 19th October 2010, 15:43
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant

Car: V'9 STI
Send a message via MSN to Scotty182
"Whats the point" is my opinion

If it had useful information then it'd be awesome.

But i check my tires regurlary enough to know there inflated hehe

Your car is loverly mate!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 19th October 2010, 17:31
aka Colin

Car: 2008 CTR GT, Black
Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,388 Posts
i think that looks quite cool, but im sure i could spend the money on something better.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th January 2012, 14:48

Car: Mazda MX5, Jaguar XJ8
Afternoon folks,

I tripped over this via Google whilst doing some SEO on my own site.

The display works rather well. Same style as mine, similar brightness. Debatable how useful the head-up feature is in a Civic with the 2-level dash but can be very handy in other vehicles.

Warning lamps on the head-up display can be useful - if it can talk to your car appropriately.

OBD can be variable - it very much depends on the car how quickly it will let you refresh the data, and the datafeed is rounded to the nearest kph so you do get some funny conversion to mph going on. Covered here if you're interested:

Why doesn't the SpeedView Head up Display use the OBD port?

Not a dealbreaker, and it has the major advantage of being plug and play, but can be a little annoying as a speedo.

Tyre pressures are a disaster though. Those sensors are about 2 cm in size and weigh enough to unbalance your wheel (10g or so). Tyre valves are meant to seal internally, not on the threads, so those replacement caps will leak. That's if they don't get nicked first, or have the batteries go flat.

Tyre temperature is quite a useful tool for setting up a car. You need 3 pyrometers though (inner, middle, outer) and the data logging needs to be fairly live. A single measure of temp/pressure isn't that useful to you - come in from a hot lap and quick check in the pit is just as good.

(I supply a hardwired version of this that shows speed only)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th January 2012, 16:29
Supporter

any bit of gloss black plastic in the right place will display the speed on the windscreen at night,wait til night time and place your phone just in front of speedo you will see what i mean.
I have a bit in place all the time so at night in shows on screen pointless I know
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th January 2012, 16:39

You're better with a dark tint film.

Use a 5-10% light transmission, one-way mirror film. A sticker on the screen will/should fail the MOT if its more than 40 mm into the wiper swept area, but tint films are exempt from this requirement. A good old school trick from the sunstrip days: one-way mirror tint for the lettering, limo black over the top of it for the background - gets you black on silver and completely legal!

Construction and Use regs will nail you if you do something stupid (you can't obstruct the driver's view of the road ahead) but if you just want to overlap the bit that the wipers wipe slightly then its fine, and meets the MOT rules.

The purpose designed displays are over 5,000 nits, so you see them in daylight too, even when looking straight at the sun:

Not that useful with the Civic double-dash, but there are quite a few applications where they're handy. eg - tall bloke in an MX5:

"Oh yes sir, I can tell you exactly how fast I was going. Somewhere between 60 and 120..."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 16th January 2012, 16:41

Or do you mean gloss plastic as a mirror on the top-level of the dash to project the OE speedo up there?

Any chance you could snap a photo of that for us? I'm curious how crisp it is/how bad the ghosting is with the Civic sized digits.

Cheers,

--
M

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page