Warnings electric power steering (EPS) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 24th November 2010, 21:48 Thread Starter

electric power steering (EPS)

Hi All
Please can anyone help i am having problems with the EPS Indicator after the engine has started the light stays on and the power steering wont work ? according to the book if there is a fault i should get a CHECK SYSTEM message in the multi-info display but i am not ! To reset turn of key and this should reset the system but somtimes it takes about 7 or more attemps to sort it and somtimes i have to shake the steering wheel verry hard then it works , this is not doing my new battery any good and the starter is getting hammerd to ! Has anyone had same if so PLEASE HELP MANY THANKS - Mogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 24th November 2010, 22:29
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggy1 View Post
Hi All
Please can anyone help i am having problems with the EPS Indicator after the engine has started the light stays on and the power steering wont work ? according to the book if there is a fault i should get a CHECK SYSTEM message in the multi-info display but i am not ! To reset turn of key and this should reset the system but somtimes it takes about 7 or more attemps to sort it and somtimes i have to shake the steering wheel verry hard then it works , this is not doing my new battery any good and the starter is getting hammerd to ! Has anyone had same if so PLEASE HELP MANY THANKS - Mogs
I've had just the same fault (2006 2.2diesel), a few weeks ago I got my ECU replaced and that seems to have fixed this. Earlier, it got better with a new battery but came back later
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 26th November 2010, 18:32
Supporter

U need a new eps module, I need 1 too but haven't got round to it

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 7th December 2010, 13:21
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 5 door
Yup, same issue here. Stopping and starting eventually cures the fault, but that is caning the battery on these cold days. Going in to be looked at on Friday! Always good to know that we aren't the only ones this is happening to...
Thanks to brooksm from:
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd January 2011, 14:08
Supporter

Car: 2008 2.2 5Door
I had similar problem intermittently when I would start the car sometimes the EPS would not work and had a warning light on but it would go away by turning car on and off. Also when driving the steering would sometimes get a bit hard and car would tend to pull slightly to one side. Took it to local Honda garage who done a software update on the EPS module. Its been about 2months now and steering is much lighter when driving but I have had the problem when starting the car again but only once so far.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 7th January 2011, 01:43
Supporter

Car: 2010 BMW 520D SE
I've had the same problem only happened a couple of times and once I switch off and restart it goes away. My problem is the car being a 2006 its out of warranty. Has anyone had the ECU replaced out of warranty? How much did this cost?
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 20th December 2011, 23:23
Supporter

Car: 1.8 ES 2006 5 dr
I am having the same problem and it is getting more frequent but I am phoning Honda Halesowen tomorrow to try and sort it out. Mine is a June 06 model out of warranty. On the VOSA website there was a recall on this but I do not know if this was done.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/reca...0to%2001/Dec/2

I will post when I have more info.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 21st December 2011, 07:39
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrik2002 View Post
I am having the same problem and it is getting more frequent but I am phoning Honda Halesowen tomorrow to try and sort it out. Mine is a June 06 model out of warranty. On the VOSA website there was a recall on this but I do not know if this was done.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/reca...0to%2001/Dec/2

I will post when I have more info.

Yes, please keep me informed.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 21st December 2011, 11:41
Supporter

I have it booked in today at 2.30pm but it sounds expensive. 48 +vat for the diagnostic check alone. Fingers crossed.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 21st December 2011, 21:37
Supporter

I have had my civic looked at Brindley Honda Halesowen and they have come back the following report but no solution as they could not clear the old fault codes. The report they have given me reads

Check for power steering warning light on
Carried out checks for warning lights on -
found fault codes - SRS failure of srs unit -
ABS 61-1 batteryvolts low - EPS 32-09 motor
corrent correlation - Body - B1177, B1227,
B1238 all codes would not clear - will req
further time to find fault with car.

Advise - No outstanding recalls on car
Advise - When parking car power steering light on dash + loss of PAS

All for 47.40 Incl Vat

They have also told me that they would need the car longer to sort out the problem at approx 80 an hour labour but they could not give me a time scale on how long it would take them to get it sorted and what part could even be wrong.

I have spoken to my dad who has spoken to a independent mechanic that he knows well and with the report he thinks it could be the battery or the alternator that is causing these faults and readings but I am hopefully taking it to him to look at it tomorrow. I know he will not try to fleece me with getting me to leave the car with them overnight to check like Honda wanted me to.

More info tomorrow and hopefully a cheapish solution
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 23rd December 2011, 09:30
Supporter

An independent garage has checked it over and said all of the faults have cleared but there is a communication issue between the ECU (central computer) and the power steering. The battery is fine as this has been checked but the alternator maybe the problem. He said this looks like a reconditioned unit but I have never had it changed since I had the car in Jan 2008.

He asked me when it was happening and I said most of the time when it is dark. This is when I have my head lights, heater and radio on. He has asked me to switch off everything I do not need to start the engine and give it a week over Christmas to see if I still get the fault with everything off. This is because with everything on the power is been taken up by all the elements and maybe causing the power steering to initiate.

I will keep posting my results.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 12th January 2012, 11:30

I bought my 06 Civic Sports in 2008 and didn't start experiencing this issue until 2010. At first it was intermittent, but eventually the EPS light would come on every time I started the car. Forked out $1300 (was originally $2100 but managed to talk them down) to have the EPS rack replaced. It worked fine for a few months, then one night driving home from work, the steering completely locked - that is, the wheel wasn't just hard to turn as it is when the EPS goes off, but completely locked up and would not turn at all and the EPS light did not come on.
Took it back to the dealership a few days later and they identified a faulty sensor and replaced it (no charge). However, a month later and the EPS light keeps coming on again.
Will be taking it back to the dealership again next week, but this will be their last chance before I take the matter to the ACCC.
Thanks to flametree07 from:
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 24th January 2012, 21:25

EPS problem

Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum today so this is my first post on here. The story goes like this on Saturday I bought a 2009 2.2se from a Honda main dealer. I left the dealership like a kid with a new toy and was really looking forward to the 230mls I had to drive to get home. I was cruising at 75mph in the middle lane on the motorway outside of Dublin when with no warning the beeping started and my dash lit up with the EPS warning lights. Within 30-40 meters I had absolutely no function from the steering wheel and noway to control my car. I did eventually get to the inside lane and off a slip road. I had only traveled 100mls from the dealership. I tried doing the on/off that it suggested in the manual but to no avail. I rang the dealer who was very helpful and arranged a rental car for me, but could not pick up my Civic until Monday. He has run a full check on my cars computer and says it seems to be an intermittent fault but hes going to replace the EPS motor anyway, so I'm hoping this will sort the problem out for me and I can return to enjoying the car soon. I have done some research on here and there are a few of us guys that have had this problem happen. I think some of the dealers need a bit of convincing as to replacing the EPS motor but with a push in the right direction and maybe a link to the VOSA site on recalls should help.

Kenny
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 26th January 2012, 12:09
ERA

Re: Power steering

First off new to the site so hello all,regarding the above i am getting the same problem,i got the car in june last year civic 2.2 diesal with 34.000 on the clock,i have no record off any recalls on the service book ect,question who pays the bill
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 27th January 2012, 20:58

EPS problem

Hi,

If you got a warranty from the Garage you bought it from they should cover the bill for the new part I think.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 28th January 2012, 08:19

Car: 2006 Civic ES 1.8 i-vtec
Hi Everyone. Just wanted to share my problem with the EPS. Every so often my power steering fails to unlock. The engine starts and then dashboard reads "check system" Usually I turn off then engine, then turn it back on and the alarm clears and the power steering unlocks and all is groovy.

Now the issue is getting worse. It only seems to happen in winter when its cold, and its taking more and more attempts to unlock the steering. This morning at 6am it took 4 attempts to unlock - which no doubt woke my neighbours up. Strangely Ive never had any problems when driving. It only seems to happen when cold.

My car is due its 75000 major service, new front brakes and now this EPS issue will need looking into. I dont know whether to plough more money into my beloved civic or get rid of it and buy something else.

Some of the money figures in this thread are frightening.

2006 CIVIC 1.8 ES (Petrol)
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 28th January 2012, 12:01
ERA

Unhappy Re:EPS

Hi the car was bought second hand last june from Arnold Clark,its an 06 plate 2.5 diesel,got 3 months warranty with it then,the EPS problem started a few weeks ago ,when the kold weather started, done the honda recall ,they said no problems with the car......
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 8th February 2012, 13:16
ERA

Hi,is anyone getting anywhere with this problem,ive been in touch with Honda UK and getting knowwhere,my car was registered on 1/3/2006..the build dates for this fault are...1/9/2005...1/2/2006...surely the car i have falls into this category.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 12th February 2012, 13:07
ERA

Re EPS

Anyone...
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 20th February 2012, 10:32

Hi there. Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have the same intermittent problem on my 06 2.2 CTDI. I have not had the steering go wrong on the move but the steering fails to come alive from starting the car after a damp night, sometimes taking 3 -4 times of restarting to clear the fault.

Mine was registered 05/06, I have phoned Honda UK about the recall and apparently there are no recalls outstanding on my motor. There is nothing in the book either.

I feel that a trip to the main stealers is on the cards.
Thanks to Ginge from:

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics-8g/48329-electric-power-steering-eps.html
Posted By For Type Date
Honda Civic Forum • View topic - Need diesel, gen 8 Civic? This thread Refback 28th March 2011 19:28