Alarm Stock Alarm going off randomly at night - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th January 2011, 12:30 Thread Starter

Car: 2007 cdt-i 2.2 SPORT
Stock Alarm going off randomly at night

hi guys,

i've had my civ since september, i absolutely love it. its a 2007 2.2 cdti sport. ticks all the boxes for me.

I did not have any trouble with it at first. However in December and so far in Janurary the alarm has been randomly going off at night (could this be temp related?).

Some nights have been fine and the alarm doesnt sound, other nights it may go off twice. I know its not anyone messing as i live in a somewhat safe area, plus I've been able to see the car within 5 seconds of the alarm going off and never seen anyone around.

It went off twice last night and its led me to join this forum for advice... i am likely to be taking it to Honda - Hunddersfield for inspection... but I wondered if anyone else has had similar problems and could give any advice before i take it? i'd love to fix this issue without taking it to a garage!

also, the alarm hasnt sounded during the day, even though its activated. so this makes me to think its temp related, esp as it didnt go off @ night either in Sept, Oct & November...

could the problem be associated with the battery? have heard if there is a drop in voltage it can trigger the alarm? is this true? I wouldnt of expected though the battery to be failing as its only just over 3 years old and the car has a good 60 mile run everyday.

i prefer to fix things myself so I know whats going on, so any advice appreciated!!

thanks in advance,

richardH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th January 2011, 12:31
FWH
Supporter

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Check the battery first.
I have had some alarms (not on the Civic) going off due to the voltage dropping too low.

If that's ok, it could be anyone of the switches for example.

Thanks to FWH from:
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th January 2011, 13:13 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

thanks fwh, am probably going to call into a HiQ garage on way home to test battery.

is it safe to unclip, test and reconnect the battery? or will they not need to unplug it?... sorry for sounding dumb, but i dont have a massive understanding of alarms/batteries or even cars!

cheers,

rich

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th January 2011, 13:15
FWH
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardh View Post
thanks fwh, am probably going to call into a HiQ garage on way home to test battery.

is it safe to unclip, test and reconnect the battery? or will they not need to unplug it?... sorry for sounding dumb, but i dont have a massive understanding of alarms/batteries or even cars!

cheers,

rich
Disconnecting the battery is not a problem.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th January 2011, 13:17
J_H
i-VTEC - DO YOU?

Car: 2009 CTR, Black
Use a multimeter to see how the battery is getting on... and have a look at it see if it has the healthy bubble on display (mine has this, not sure if yours does or not).

If it goes away when the temperature increases that is a good indication!

I can't remember off hand what the battery should be but I am sure the information can be found on here either in the Wiki or the search function.

Good luck solving it though!
Thanks to J_H from:
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th January 2011, 13:27
FWH
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_H View Post
Use a multimeter to see how the battery is getting on... and have a look at it see if it has the healthy bubble on display (mine has this, not sure if yours does or not).

If it goes away when the temperature increases that is a good indication!

I can't remember off hand what the battery should be but I am sure the information can be found on here either in the Wiki or the search function.

Good luck solving it though!
Terminal Voltages according to Wikipedia

Open Circuit Voltage (12 V) - Approximate charge
12.65 V - 100%
12.45 V - 75%
12.24 V - 50%
12.06 V - 25%
11.89 V - 0%

If you can, disconnect the battery and measure with a multimeter, saves you the trip to the garage.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th January 2011, 13:57
...............Daedalus

Car: CW Type R No. 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_H View Post
I think all civic batteries have the inspection window, but it's not 100% reliable as it only gives you the level of one cell. As mentioned, measuring the voltage with a multimeter is your best bet.
Thanks to mpn_daedalus from:
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 6th January 2011, 14:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

thanks for everyones help, much appreciated. will let you know of any developments!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 7th January 2011, 09:35 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

i took it to hiQ on way home last night... they tested the battery for free and it showed up as been healthy and full...

the alarm went off again last night, just once at 3.30am!

with the battery being ok, it looks like its more likely to be a dodgey sensor somewhere. apparently honda can hook up the car to a laptop and see the last few alarm causes, hope them doing this will identify whats wrong.

will be getting it booked in for sometime next week i reckon... i would love it if it warmed up a little, just to see if the alarm would stay slient! but i can't control the weather! grrrr!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 7th January 2011, 09:58
FWH
Supporter

That is probably the best way to go.

It could well be one of the door switches for example, but hopefully the system can tell them which one.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 18th January 2011, 12:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

oooops! still havent been to the garage, i just dont get the time to go!.. although the nightly temp has risen slightly now and the alarm hasnt gone off at all since 6th Jan, even though i am still arming the alarm everynight.... so this confirms my suspicions about the temp affecting it...
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 14th February 2011, 08:30
BMH

I'm also having similar issues, with a 2006 2.2 EX.

Car parked on my drive and locked with the alarm randomly sounding. Tried opening and closing all doors, boot and bonnet, checked the windows are locked but the problem persists. Battery seems to have no trouble starting the car.

I noticed that when opening and locking the car with the fob to stop the alarm that the indicators did not always flash when locking.

This happened on evening last month, but has been fine since, until last night. I ended up leaving the car unlocked just so I could get some sleep, so not ideal.

Going to call the main dealer this morning, but does anyone have any ideas?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 14th February 2011, 16:41
BMH

Car back, they reckon it was a loose connection on the bonnet catch which they've resolved.

Hopefully it's done the trick. Was ~40 so not as bad as I had feared.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 21st February 2011, 20:17

Car: 56 2.2 cdti 47 mpg
This is the very reason I joined the forum today. This was happening on very cold nights, but now there seems to be no rhythm nor rhyme to when the alarm goes off.

An unlocked car at night is my only option. I'm going to Call honda tomorrow as i've simply had enough . .
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 21st February 2011, 23:56
BMH

One thing to try first is locking the car with the ultrasonics disabled:

Open the driver's door, keep the exterior door handle depressed, reach around and manually lock the door on the inside (this should lock all the doors), shut the door, release exterior door handle.

Touch wood, mine's been fine since their fix
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 1st August 2011, 19:14
BMH

It's started happening again

Currently have it locked with the ultrasonics disabled. Will see if it decides to go off again.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 1st August 2011, 19:44
BMH

That didn't fix it. Off it went again.

I've left it unlocked and will see if I can get it looked at in the morning.

This might be a silly question, but leaving it unlocked with everything shut up would drain the battery or anything daft would it?
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2011, 19:35
BMH

Bonnet latch replaced. Hopefully fixed.

~140
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2011, 19:47
...............Daedalus

Car: CW Type R No. 460
Ouch, bit steep Hopefully that's it sorted though.

And I shouldn't have thought leaving the car unlocked overnight would drain the battery.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 26th January 2012, 15:36 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

just an update on this thread (i hope it may help anyone who is in the same position as me)....

basically, I should have acted on FHW's post in the first place! (top marks to you mate).

my alarm developed the same fault of going off again this winter (exactly the same behaviour as last winter when i initially made this topic/thread in civinfo.com)...

my car had been fine all spring/summer/autumn.... but as soon as it got cold again, it started happening... so i've been locking the car, but with the bonnet popped... this way at least the doors are locked and the alarm isnt activated... not ideal i know!..

anyway, i came to the car on a monday morning, after it had been left for about 2 days (about 2 weeks ago when we had a really cold snap)... and found the battery totally dead, i had to jump start the car. drove some 30 miles to my work in sheffield and had the battery "tested" again in my lunchbreak at a garage... battery reported to be "healthy"!... grrrrr! I couldnt take the risk of not being able to get into work again, so i had it changed anyway... since then car has started fine (obviously), but as a result of the change i have also been able to alarm the car and it has not gone off since!...

so if you drive a lot like me (i do 60 milkes a day Mon-Fri), dont always trusted a garages judgement on your battery!... it might appear to be be providing the necessary power to usually start the car, but when the cold nights come, it mustnt be able to keep a consistent voltage which in my case tripped the alarm.

i've also read elsewhere that civic owners seem to get through batteries a bit quicker than usuall... dont know if there is any truth in this, but its worth being aware of.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page