Parking Rear parking sensors - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 29th July 2006, 14:45 Thread Starter

Rear parking sensors

Does anyone know how to adjust the sensitivity of these?

Mine as set up now beeps at about 3 feet, and is on continuous tone at 18 inches, which is not really very useful. If they can't be adjusted, I suppose they will have to join the long and growing list of disappointing electronics in the new Civic

Hands free phone that only works when stationary, and then the voice recognition is poor and slow
Voice control that often needs 3 or 4 goes - is very slow, - and sometimes replies in German!
Radio that has very poor sensitivity - certainly much poorer than my previous Civic
Sat Nav that has to be 'prodded' every time I start the car, and is hard to read in bright conditions

Am I alone in having these grumbles? I know the phone is a widely known issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 29th July 2006, 15:40
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
I dont understand the problem with the sensors?

If it's a continuous beep at 18 inches, then you can rely on that. You maybe have another 6 inches or so when you hit the continuous beep and you'd know this because its predictable??
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 29th July 2006, 16:12 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I would prefer to be able to set it at about 6 to 9 inches. 18 inches is too far. The last car I drove with one (a Mercedes) beeped at about 2 - 3 feet, and on came on solid at 6 to 9 inches - and you knew you had to stop about then. At 18 inches as now, you know you have about a foot or more to go safely, but will get no more assistance from the electronics!

All these things are a shame - as the new Civic is a cracking car, but certainly for me the pleasure is slightly spoiled by some rather indifferent electronics!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 29th July 2006, 17:52
Cad
estranged

My sensors, fitted by my local dealer a few weeks ago, produce a continuous tone at around 6-9". This would suggest some kind of difference in the setup (and therefore the possibility of altering it).
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 29th July 2006, 18:05 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I think there must be a 'sensitivity' adjustment somewhere. 6-9" would be ideal. Set as mine is now for the continuous tone at 18" you loose all electronic assistance just when you need it most in the closest part of the operation!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 29th July 2006, 18:10
Cad
estranged

I'd spend good money, and sell my firstborn into slavery, to get my hands on a Civic wiring diagram.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 29th July 2006, 18:45 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quite - A full workshop manual would be a heavy read too!

Well - whilst looking around where the bleeper is in the luggage area (why there?) - I noticed that the luggage area light wasn't working. Got out book - and easy job to replace bulb. 1st remove light assembly. On doing that (easy - just as described in the book) - the reason the light didn't come on became apparent - NO WIRES to the fitting!

I have a funny feeling that in order to fit the parking sensors (which are dealer fitted) the boot trim on that side must have to come out, and they have never reconnected the light.

The last new Civic I had (the USA built coupe 1.7 VTEC) had not a single thing wrong with it either on delivery or in 3 years driving, and the Accord Aerodeck (again USA built) before that only 1 fault in 8 years and 120 thousand miles.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 30th July 2006, 19:33
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
There is no workshop manual.. It's all on an internal intranet site.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 30th July 2006, 21:52
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen
There is no workshop manual.. It's all on an internal intranet site.
Only until someone nicks it and sells the cd on eBay
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 30th July 2006, 22:00

I am not seeing the problem with the sensors, for me they work great. You have to remember that they are an aid to reversing, not anything else. They shouldn't be relied on solely.
In my mind, a smaller distance for continuous beep (where you should stop) could be dangerous. What if you go back too fast and don't have enough time to stop in the 6" from the warning? What if what you are reversing up to is not flat and has a protrusion that manages to get between the senssors? I think 18" is a lot safer.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 31st July 2006, 06:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Honda
I would prefer to be able to set it at about 6 to 9 inches. 18 inches is too far. The last car I drove with one (a Mercedes) beeped at about 2 - 3 feet, and on came on solid at 6 to 9 inches - and you knew you had to stop about then. At 18 inches as now, you know you have about a foot or more to go safely, but will get no more assistance from the electronics!

All these things are a shame - as the new Civic is a cracking car, but certainly for me the pleasure is slightly spoiled by some rather indifferent electronics!
I would have thought 18" is a good distance. If you park any closer, how is the vehicle behind you going to get out ?. You'll end up with a scraped bumper.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 31st July 2006, 08:02

Rear sensors also take into account that you may have a towbar fitted, with the extra distance that the towball would take up.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 31st July 2006, 09:35
Cad
estranged

Don't forget that sensors aren't only used to see how close you can park to someone but, for example, to see how far you can reverse when trying to get out of a boxed in position.

I find the the beep range (3 feet to 6-9 inches) to be just about right, though I don't tend to reverse at any kind of speed in tight spaces. To be honest, I doubt anyone would need sensors to get within 18 inches of an obstacle!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 31st July 2006, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cad
To be honest, I doubt anyone would need sensors to get within 18 inches of an obstacle!

LOL, Are you serious? You should have seen the parking in the Tesco car park I was in last week.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 31st July 2006, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cad
Don't forget that sensors aren't only used to see how close you can park to someone but, for example, to see how far you can reverse when trying to get out of a boxed in position.

I find the the beep range (3 feet to 6-9 inches) to be just about right, though I don't tend to reverse at any kind of speed in tight spaces. To be honest, I doubt anyone would need sensors to get within 18 inches of an obstacle!
I have found it helpful a few times, especially when reversing into a bay with a car in the bay behind you. If they have a long, low bonnet, it is impossible to see and without sensors, you are left guessing!
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 1st August 2006, 11:12

are the rear parking sensors standard on the EX model ?
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 1st August 2006, 11:16
Smell My Cheese!

No, I had them fitted with the City Pack, but I think they are available seperately, they are dealer fit, so can be added at anytime. From talking to the dealer it seems nearly all options are available as dealer fit, except the Satnav and glass roof for obvious reasons
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 1st August 2006, 11:26
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Maldax
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_uk
are the rear parking sensors standard on the EX model ?
With the EX i think you are better with the Parking Camera IMO
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 1st August 2006, 11:42
Galaxy class starship

Send a message via MSN to Copycat
Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich
No, I had them fitted with the City Pack, but I think they are available seperately, they are dealer fit, so can be added at anytime. From talking to the dealer it seems nearly all options are available as dealer fit, except the Satnav and glass roof for obvious reasons
SatNav
Glass roof
Leather
Metallic Paint

Pretty much everything else is dealer fit so you can take your time making your mind up.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 1st August 2006, 11:58
Smell My Cheese!

Sorry Copycat, I stand corrected, I kind of figured the paint and the seats were a given.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page