Electrics Fault with Stereo...? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 3rd March 2011, 20:18 Thread Starter

Fault with Stereo...?

Hi

I am after a bit of advice really....my radio\cd has now just started to turn itself on and off at total random times! When this happens, you cannot permanently turn the radio off or on it just takes over. Everytime it goes on and off there is a huge popping sound from the speakers, front first, then rear, like the sound when you touch a mic jack! It is an EX with sat nav and on the clock display the phone icon appears and it automatically keeps changing between aux and cd then going again, it cannot be stopped! It started 30mins into a 3 day journey between the uk and greece! Does anyone have any idea of what it could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 1st April 2011, 22:41
Supporter

Car: 2007 2.2 Type S NHB
Radio Fault

Hi,
Mine's doing it too! Before the radio turns itself on the display screen shows all the characters across the screen dimly then the loud pop and the radio comes on. The reception is poor while it's in this state. I can turn mine off though.

Did you find a solution?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 20th September 2011, 10:57

My FN2 has started doing this aswell.

Is there a cure?

At first I thought the stereo display was broken when all the characters went funny but now I get the switching on and off of the stereo with the pop/bang sound too.

I think that it is the stereo unit itself that is sending the wrong characters to the display rather than the display being broken.

Someone said to me it may be something to do with the stereo overheating at the back causing it to shut down.

Do I need to replace the stereo or the display or both?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 29th September 2011, 12:52

Car: 2009 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
I had some problems with mine not reading CDs and I was told by Honda that both stereo and display would need to be replaced as it all comes as one, and it really is a lot of money - over 1000 unfortunately. Thankfully the problem with mine has gone away, I guess it'll play up again at some point though
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 29th September 2011, 13:31
無限 Unlimited

Car: 59 Mugenised CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurifier View Post
I had some problems with mine not reading CDs and I was told by Honda that both stereo and display would need to be replaced as it all comes as one, and it really is a lot of money - over 1000 unfortunately. Thankfully the problem with mine has gone away, I guess it'll play up again at some point though
stealers will charge a lot unfortunately, but there are plenty of secondhand stereos available from between 100 & 150

Honda Civic CD MP3 Player WMA Stereo Genuine | eBay

and

HONDA CIVIC CD MP3 STEREO PLAYER WMA 2006 TO 2011 MODEL | eBay

for example.

The logic circuit which controls the clock display and the climate is actually built into the stereo so might be worth changing this first if anyone decides to replace the part.

If you need a replacement display these are also kicking around

Honda Civic Dash center LCD display - **NEW** | eBay

Guides on how to remove replace the stereo are available on here in the wiki section and the job isn't too difficult at all

Better than forking out 1000 anyway
Thanks to Laney from:
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 29th September 2011, 14:01
Banned

Car: 2008 2.2 NHB Type S GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney View Post
stealers will charge a lot unfortunately, but there are plenty of secondhand stereos available from between 100 & 150

Honda Civic CD MP3 Player WMA Stereo Genuine | eBay

and

HONDA CIVIC CD MP3 STEREO PLAYER WMA 2006 TO 2011 MODEL | eBay

for example.

The logic circuit which controls the clock display and the climate is actually built into the stereo so might be worth changing this first if anyone decides to replace the part.

If you need a replacement display these are also kicking around

Honda Civic Dash center LCD display - **NEW** | eBay

Guides on how to remove replace the stereo are available on here in the wiki section and the job isn't too difficult at all

Better than forking out 1000 anyway
These aren't for the EX models. This is for civics without satnav.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 29th September 2011, 16:23
無限 Unlimited

Car: 59 Mugenised CTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpetrie View Post
These aren't for the EX models. This is for civics without satnav.
Thanks Jpetrie, my error.

Apologies all, yep they were for non-sat nav models.

Even so, I have seen the Headunit and displays for sat-nav models going for around 200-250 together on eBay, even saw one go for 150 once when I was looking at retro fitting or going double din.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 29th September 2011, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney View Post

I would second doing that first. This does sound like some faulty wiring and/or bad circuit.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 15th November 2012, 01:33

Car: 2007 Type-R
I have got the same problem started yesterday, first the display characters started to be not clear then the cd player started to go off and on with sound from speakers, and i cant turn the cd player off completely because it will turn on again and then off and so on, so anyone found out whats the problem?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 15th November 2012, 06:13
Supporter

Car: 59/FN4 Civic Type S
Rubbish head unit overheats easily, i had mine replaced under warranty but same happened again short time later
Bit the bullet and replaced it with a double din unit instead, pound for pound best mod I've done on the car, difference in sound quality is night and day
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 15th November 2012, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElNino9 View Post
Rubbish head unit overheats easily, i had mine replaced under warranty but same happened again short time later
Bit the bullet and replaced it with a double din unit instead, pound for pound best mod I've done on the car, difference in sound quality is night and day
So is there any fix to this? I think the new headunit will cost alot as its a ex model with satnav.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 15th November 2012, 18:04
Supporter

Car: 59/FN4 Civic Type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by deivisx3 View Post
So is there any fix to this? I think the new headunit will cost alot as its a ex model with satnav.
My 'fix' was to replace the blooming thing...lol
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 15th November 2012, 18:49

Will try to ask my friend who works at electrical shop and fixes all electrical things if he can do anythink about it otherwise i will have to buy new one
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 19th November 2012, 18:32

Car: 2008 fn2 type r gt
ive had this problem with my dash clock display too, dealer sent my car to honda for further investigation and seems its the radio causing the dash pixels to all light up,so a replacement radio is needed and being fitted this week, honda wanted 1100 for a new radio unit! dealer i got the car from have got radio cheaper from else where so hopefully it'll sort the problem out
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 20th November 2012, 21:54
Supporter

Display

I have just got the problem of no clock display, or it intermittently comes on. Been to the dealers today, waited 1.5 hours to be told that they replaced the display but problem is still there! They blame my aftermarket double din (Sony xavbt301) as it does not send a signal to the clock!? BS! I thought to myself, I don't even think they took out the display. When the technician looked at it he was reluctant to even book the car in because I did not have Honda head unit in. Impulse has not had this problem before and they sell loads of these kits. Any thoughts?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 20th November 2012, 22:09

Car: 2008 fn2 type r gt
i have been through this problem with my car at the moment with the dealer which i brought the car from, seems that the clock display unit loom runs through the stereo unit and the stereo units can be faulty causing the clock dash to play up,the prob with mine is all clock dash lights are lit up, a new stereo unit is needed to solve this problem,honda want 1100 for a new cd unit but ebay or scrap dealers would be a cheaper way of getting hold of a unit cheap, i recommend taking the car to an I.C.E shop and seeing what they say poss
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 16th December 2012, 23:01

Mine doing the exact same thing too. Going to look into replacing with a double din unit with nav and everything and doing away with the screen at the top of the dash by getting new part from honda to make dash neat. Would love to know what cause this though. CDs come out EXTREMELY hot too. Think it's just a case of over heating over time.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 19th December 2012, 11:58
Supporter

Car: RX-8 R3, Blue
I don't have this problem (touch wood). That is odd that it gets so hot. I have never noticed cd's coming out of mine hot or any kind of overheating. Perhaps there is another reason why it is getting hot. A faulty component or the heat shield between the exhaust and the car has come off? I always have the fans running for airflow taking air from outside the car. That would cool the dash a bit.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 21st December 2012, 08:24
Supporter

Car: 2017 Civic 1.5 turbo sport +
i noticed my cds get hot too especially when playing mp3 tracks.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 17th February 2014, 19:35

Car: 8th Gen 2.2 CDTi EX Model
Hi

I have the exact same problem!
After precisely half hour the player turns off and on every 6 seconds!!!! Even IF the player is off to start off with!!

This is very annoying especially on weekends when I travel afar!

Can someone please help me out here without suggesting to buy a new CD player!!

Thanks in advance
Thanks to Knight Rider from:

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page