Parking Rear camera V Parking sensors - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 09:55 Thread Starter

Rear camera V Parking sensors

Firstly this is my first post so hello to everyone. This is a great site with a wealth of information.

I am looking to buy a Typs S GT. I test drove one a few weeks ago but didn't do a lot of revearsing. However I notice that visability out of the rear window isn't great as many people have mentioned on here.

I am just wondering what peoples views are on the rear camera or the parking sensors. Anyone with the camera does it give good visability along the whole length of the car or just in one spot? And anyone with the dealer fitted parking sensors do they do the job?

Look forward to all your views, on doubt I will pop up again with further questions before I buy my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 10:17

The dealer fitted sensors do their job very nicely. Even though I don't have the satnav option and therefore can't have the rear camera option, I'd always prefer the sensors. With the sensors you don't have to actively pay attention; you dont have to watch a screen while reversing. I trust the car to start beeping when anything is about to go wrong. When the beep goes solid there's 10-20 cm space left.
The sensors have a relatively good sideways looking angle too, whereas the camera only shows what's directly behind you. When I pass the door opening of my garage or park in a public parking next to a concrete wall it also starts beeping.

On a side note, the dealer told me that most people who come back with rear bumper damage have parking aids fitted; they simply trust it too much
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 10:47

I opted for neither on mine and regret it. I am now looking to have sensors fitted.
I would love the camera option as I think seeing is always going to be better than listening when approaching objects.
However, there are 2 things that make me prefer to go for sensors
1. Price - from Honda the sensors are 1/2 the price of the camera, and you can also get them fitted (or fit them yourself) for even less
2. The boot-up time of the system. It takes quite a while (12 seconds I think, which is a long time when you are waiting) before the screen is available for the camera. If the first thing you do is reverse after starting the car (e.g. if you are in a tight parking spot) then you have to sit and wait

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 10:48

Hi Crazy,

I have a parking camera on my car and the wife has parking sensors on hers. Personally i prefer the camera as you get to see what's going on behind your car and, with the way they have fitted mine, you get a good view at least 1 car length either side of the rear bumper (great when reversing out of a car parking space). Direct sunlight can be a problem but you can adjust the screen brightness to counter some of the problem.

The parking sensors do my head in with all that beeping but my wife prefers them as it doesn't involve watching a screen, although it does cost a bit more when someone smashes your bumper as my wife found out.

i can park my car with less than a centimetre to spare using the camera but can't get my wife's car anywhere near as close.

so i guess i'm saying it's personal preference.

does your local dealer have any way of letting you test drive cars with the options fitted?

Last edited by Pingu; 27th April 2007 at 10:50. Reason: can't type this morning
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 10:57
pjr
Supporter

Car: Mk VII Golf GTI
Eco display
Not having had any experience of the reversing camera, can't comment, but the Honda parking sensors are really good.

I've been able to slot the car into much smaller parking spaces than I thought be using the beeps to gauge the distance to the car behind me - Also means that I can use either the mirrors or stick my head out the window to check how close to the kerb I am. Wouldn't necessarily be able to do this if I had to watch a screen.

Also like the way the sensors pick up obstacles to the side of the car that it thinks are close (e.g. lamp posts, bollards) although the beeping does get a bit mad when reversing out of the garage every day!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 11:00

The sensors are probably adequate - they'll tell you when you get close to something but to really _know_ how much space ou have you'd need the camera. If I'm trying to squeeze into a really tight parking space I'd tend to rely the camera more than a beep purely because it's not building in it's own fudge factor.

I've just ordered the dealer fit options on my car this week (only 3-4 weeks to go!) and I opted for both the sensors and the camera based on adive given here a couple of weeks ago. I know it's quite an expensive parking aid but it gives me the best of both worlds (and I'll probably still make the wife get out and direct me ).

H
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 13:39
Supporter

Car: 2007 2.2 5 door, Lumpy Black
Send a message via MSN to apemonkeyman Send a message via Yahoo to apemonkeyman Send a message via Skype™ to apemonkeyman
If a park up next to a lamp post I use the mirror to see that the lamp post is to the side of the car & I can still see it on the satnav screen when it is in line with the back of the car (unless it is waaaay out to the side of the car) - if that makes sense.

What I am trying to say is by using wing mirror & screen I can see any bollard/lamppost that could be a danger & therefore reverse in confidence.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 13:49
Supporter

Car: 2007 CTR, Milano Red
I had a look at both for my new type-R and went for the camera, deciding it was better to see what you are reversing towards. I'd always wonder if the sensors would miss something and I wasn't going to pay for both. No idea if it was the right decision yet though, it's over a month till the car turns up!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 14:11

Am I the only wimp who has both? I had the sensors from new, but still felt uncomfortable with the lack of rear view, so I forked out for the camera later. I find the combination of mirrors, camera and sensor makes reversing safe and very easy The camera lets you see that the sensors are beeping about something at the side, and there's nothing behind. I love reversing now!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 14:11
Supporter

Judging by the amount of dust and rain that gets dragged up the back of the car I'm surprised you can see anything in the winter months. Is it a problem?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan40alt View Post
Judging by the amount of dust and rain that gets dragged up the back of the car I'm surprised you can see anything in the winter months. Is it a problem?
it can be.. i just have to remember to walk round the car in the morning (tend to anyway just to check) and rub my thumb over the camera lens. doesn't tend to affect it too much unless i forget to wipe it for a week or so
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 14:33

I have the sensors and find them very good.

Even my lady wife can reverse park the Civ, and she is not the world's best
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 15:04
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
i havent got either personally and find reversing fine. Mind you when you drive a van all day with no rear view apart from wing mirrors, reversing down small alleyways and stupidly small spaces it suddenly makes moving the civic a doddle
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 15:54

Car: 1.8 SE Plus Twilight Blue
Hi crazyjammer and welcome. I had the parking sensors fitted a few weeks after getting the car and have not regretted it they work fantastic.
They appear to cover the rear and the rear corners of the bumper very well.
Cheers Darkside
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 15:58
Obo
Rusty Nut!

Send a message via MSN to Obo
I would love to get a camera fitted but a guy down the road who had one on a primara was so busy watching his camera screen he took out the side on a lamp post so I'm not sure now maybe I'll wait to see how I find rear visability when I actually have the car LOL
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 18:47
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Maldax
I think if you have a EX then the reversing cam is the way ahead.... well the way behind!
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 19:08
Supporter

This is my second car with sensors and would honestly not be without them. I can't vouch for the camera, but solid beep= 6" gap every time. The only negative is if you reverse very quickly, they can be a bit slow to react, however, as I'm sure some of our sages would point out, you'd be a bit thick to be reversing quickly in the direction of something you could hit.
I did once and took out a fence!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 19:46

We have the camera and the sensors.Camera is good for seeing direct behind but my wife prefers the sensors,like she says the camera doesnt pick up the rear corners of the car like the sensors do.But when the sensors are only 25 from ebay prepainted and only take a couple of hours to fit ,why not have both.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 27th April 2007, 19:55
Supporter

Has anybody tried the sensors that go the full length of the bumper, but go behind the rear bumper and therefoe do not show? I think there was a link somewhere but I cant find it.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 28th April 2007, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF View Post
Has anybody tried the sensors that go the full length of the bumper, but go behind the rear bumper and therefoe do not show? I think there was a link somewhere but I cant find it.
These have been mentioned in a few threads. I have heard mixed reports; some saying that they work well and others saying that they just beep when they are wet making them useless in the rain.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page