Add-on nav SAT NAV £1400 - whats a decent alternative? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 01:42 Thread Starter
Supporter

SAT NAV £1400 - whats a decent alternative?

Looking at buying a new type S GT, but knocked back a bit by the price of sat nav kit at £1400 its a bit steep.

Benefits i can see:

No wires. Fits beautifully into the dash. Voice recognition.

Negatives £1400??? thats rarther alot imo

So, what im looking for is a live traffic update enabled SAT NAV kit, that hopefully can perform, doesnt have too many wires sticking out of it, that would sit nicely in the type S GT?

I do like tomtom, but i heard the traffic update has wires sticking out of it, so i was put off that....

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 08:03
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
I would re-investigate the TomTom.

I am sure the Traffic Update feature links via Bluetooth to your phone. You then set the update frequency (typically 5 minutes) and away you go.

I went for the EX with SatNav because I found having to disassemble the TomTom and remove all traces of it being there (Windscreen marks) was such a pain.

I wonder when motor manufacturers will realise that SatNav units are now so popular that they will start putting power sockets on the top of the dash to avoid training wires?
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 08:36
Supporter

I agree with Kremmen re-investigate the TomTom.

I have an old style TomTom One (not the new slimline version) which I bought a few years ago for around £120, its one of the best devices I have ever bought.

The traffic update and the speed camera locations can be downloaded via their website through a program called TomTom Home, once on your PC it automatically downloads all updates for the location of speed camera's and any program software updates.

The TomTom Home software is free however the traffic and speed cameras have a yearly subscription of around £40 if bought at the same time.

The traffic information is as Kremmen says works via your bluetooth enabled phone, you can indeed set the update times from anything from 5mins to I think 1Hour, the cost of the update check is minimum and depending on your phone tariff may be included in your monthly charge (luckily mine is!).

All the program software, maps, traffic updates and speed camera locations are all built in to one unit, the only thing you may need as an extra is a larger SD memory card to fit any extra maps you may need, these cost around £50 each but are well worth it. Depending on which TomTom you go for however you may get all the european maps included in the price.

The only cable that is required is a charging wire which I have running down the lefthand side of the radio(not really a problem!).
If mounting the unit on the windscreen is a problem for you, I'm pretty sure that a Brodik clip(Think thats what its called! ) can be used to mount the TomTom to an air vent!

TomTom is for me the way to go and would recommend it to anybody (no I'm not on commission !)

After using Tom Tom I couldn't warrant spending over a £1000 on an inbuilt sat nav device when I can spend a couple of hundered on a Tom Tom that is not only upgradable but can be used in the wifes car as well.

The only thing I wouldn't use on the TomTom is the handsfree option you can get on some of the more expensive versions, don't pay extra for this it's rubbish!

Hope this sheds a little light on TomTom for you.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 08:42

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx handheld device. With navigation I believe it would cost you about £ 500-600.

Advantages:
- You can take it out of the car and continue the navigation as a pedestrian if parking in unknown areas.
- Very flexible as regards waypoints; routes can be made on the device or on your PC at home.
- Shows a lot of information, (I like to log the altitude)
- Multi-purpose. I use it also at sea (nautical charts cost £ 140), and when hiking (topographical maps).
- It can only navigate. It does not have radio, MP3 player, bluetooth.

Disadvantages:
- Small display (size 38 x 56 mm)
- The device beeps at you and cannot speak, although the navigation is the same as a dedicated car nav (Garmin Nuvi).
- Wiring to the power outlet.
- When parking you'll have to stow it away.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 08:54
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
i got my sat nav for free on my type s gt. I managed to get the dealer to come down £1400 on the price of the car.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 09:03

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350, which sits very neatly near the A pillar on the drivers side. The power cable is routed down the door jam and into the drivers footwell. You can get a Nuvi with TCM. The software is regularly updated and new maps have recently been produced.
Have a look on this site: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134 or this one: http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykik View Post
Benefits i can see:

No wires. Fits beautifully into the dash. Voice recognition.
You also get the bluetooth hands-free telephone plus the screen is much better for navigating your MP3 CDs.
I agree that £1400 is a bit expensive, but you get a lot more than just a Sat Nav and none of the hassle of removing all evidence when you park the car. Also, I personally don't want to spoil the beautiful lines of the dashboard with wires and bits stuck on.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 09:58
Administrator

One thing I forgot to mention - don't buy the TomTom speed camera database, it is woefully out of date.

The one at PocketGPSWorld is continually updated by members and costs £19 a year.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 10:34
Supporter

Car: Royal Blue Civic TypeS 2.2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type S Bournemouth View Post
i got my sat nav for free on my type s gt. I managed to get the dealer to come down £1400 on the price of the car.
Yup me too! Got enough discount to cover it.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 10:46

I have a TomTom 910. It can get traffic updates via either your bluetooth phone or an additional aerial you can get using RDS radio. You should be able to get it for around £320.

Its handsfree that is built in is a lot better in my opinion than the option available on the EX. It also comes with a remote control.

When i bought my ES a year ago I felt the proce difference for the EX was not justified to gain bigger wheels, a Sat nav, HID lights, but loose the glass roof.

Another thing to bear in mind with built in Sat Navs is when it comes to upgrading the maps, you will be hit with a charge of about £300
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 10:53
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
One thing I forgot to mention - don't buy the TomTom speed camera database, it is woefully out of date.

The one at PocketGPSWorld is continually updated by members and costs £19 a year.
Sorry Kremmen I disagree.

With the new version TomTom you can update speed camera's using a button on the screen, also users can add they're own speed camera and when connected to TomTom home updates their database, which in turn updates other users using the button on their indvidual screens.
I was travelling down to East Midlands airport on Friday night and it even showed the temporary speed cameras through the roadworks on the M1.

As yet I havent passed a speed camera without it showing on TomTom so I think they may have sorted out the update issue using the above procedure.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 11:24
Obo
Rusty Nut!

Send a message via MSN to Obo
My brother bought a Tom Tom 510 recently and he's well chuffed with it. He got back from Florida today and downloaded a map of the state for around £20 to use while there and reckons it was brilliant for that.

It has bluetooth which is more than adequate for driving, it also has speed camera updates via tomtom and has more up to date maps than my dads built in sat nav on his qashqai, I cant comment on the differences between it and the Honda built in as I dont pick the car up until this thursday but all in all its a good little gadget for less than £230 he got it in Comet and they pricematched the website price
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 11:59
Administrator

Quote:
As yet I havent passed a speed camera without it showing on TomTom so I think they may have sorted out the update issue using the above procedure.
So TomTom have finally got their act together

I know the forum reports on the PocketGPSWorld site did continually state that the TomTom own database was lacking.

Current stats:

Quote:
PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database Version 5.044 18 Apr 07
There are a total of 10,775 verified cameras in the database and 1,171 unverified mobile sites (total combined: 11,946). 3,880 Gatso/Monitron/Truvelo, 5,669 Mobiles, 12 Temporary, 212 Specs and 1,002 Redlight Cameras.
We have had a total of 29 verified static cameras added this release submitted by 20 members.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 12:23
Supporter

Looks like TomTom use a simliar procedure as pocketGPSworld, users send in the info. Certainly never let me down. (Oh I've gone and said it now!! )
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 12:56
Supporter

Go for the HP IPAQ rx5935 - comes with TT6 preinstalled, WiFi, Bluetooth with 2Gb of ram, car mount that works well in the Civic etc:
See http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=rx5935

£306 incl.

Last edited by spile; 30th April 2007 at 15:43.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 30th April 2007, 15:08
Supporter

I have TomTom 5 on my PDA with a bluetooth GPS receiver that sits on top of the dashboard when I need it, otherwise it is in the ashtray.
I have a window mount for the PDA, but rarely use it, the PDA can sit on the centre console. The PDA doesn't need the charger plugged in if it is only going to be used for an hour or so, so no trailing wires.
I bought the USA maps of ebay, one map for each state, plus a map of the whole USA with major and many minor roads. It has zip codes too. I have used it in Florida and New England and it was superb (although Tomtom put the Bison farm I was trying to find a couple of miles out, but it was the middle of nowhere!), well worth the £15 they cost me.
Terry
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2007, 13:46

I bought a AVMAP type GEOSAT 5 PLUS and I have sat-nav AND analog video input at the same time!!!!

I'm arranging a dash mount for the GEOSAT unit and a rearview back camera for the input video option.

What a better solution spending about 300 Euro total (ebay)!?
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2007, 16:51 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

14idsi just so i understand you right, do you mean you have a satnav unit with a "rear view" camera on the same display? If so WOW cos this kind of setup costs £1400 (sat nav), rear camera £600, so youve just saved yourself £1700!!

If you do have this:

1) do you have any wires around? does it look flush?
2) How much will you pay to get the camera installed and for the camera itself?
3) Any other costs incurred if i were to do the same as you, or pay someone to do it?

4) What are you doing for live traffic updates, this is important to me.

Thanks
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2007, 17:34

Check out some of the comments under "Garmin satnav"
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 4th May 2007, 11:18

YES, I'm doing that installation: sat-nav+rearview camera at the same time!!

The GEOSAT 5 (AVMAP) has an auxiliary audio/video input so i can connect the camera and see the rear vision with just few clicks on the touch screen unit monitor (5" screen!).

The maps are on a simple SD memory card (only AVMAP cards works) and with the last sw upgrades we can insert how many POI we want!

I'm discussing with my honda dealer for installation, the main job is to place power/video cables from the rear back to the front car dash, removing and placing again a lot of car internal parts.

Electrically only a connection to the +12V cigarette lighter is required.

Below the images of the sat unit and the camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg geosat5_2.jpg (169.8 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg camera.jpg (17.9 KB, 498 views)

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page