Satnav Garmin Satnav - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2007, 12:17 Thread Starter

Lightbulb Garmin Satnav

I have been looking for a satnav system for a while now. The best system for me seems to be the new Garmin Zumo 550, the reason for this is its been developed for motorcycle use (which I also have, a Honda Paneuropean ST1300) but comes with attachments for the car, it also has a integrated speaker etc. The 550 is simple to use with a large touch screen.
I'm not sure if its possible to connect this system through the cars own radio but I believe it can be hard wired. The extras include bluetooth, MP3 player with an SD card slot and a photo viewer etc, etc! best thing is to look yourself on www.garmin.co.uk
The price is around 460-540 which is cheaper then anything from Honda, plus you can take it from car to car or bike to bike!

One other thing Garmin sponser the team Halfords Civic in the BTCC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2007, 12:26

That costs a lot more than I thought it would!

I have a Garmin Nuvi, and love it to bits. Is the extra £££ to make it more durable and water tight for external monting on bike?

With regards to integration with radio, a few new Garmins now come with a buil in FM transmitter to allow store MP3s and navigation to come through your car radio. I believe it also allows you to use it as a HFT through the stereo.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2007, 12:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I believe the extra cost is because its developed for motorcycles and the fact its new on the market.
Not sure if it has an FM transmitter, can't find any info on that one! If it can be itegrated into the radio it would make a great bit of kit by using the car speakers for directions and the phone!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2007, 14:14
Supporter

You also might want to consider the Tom Tom Rider. Been about for a couple of years now and is therefore a known product.

I would also recommend going to somewhere where you can have a demo of both systems side by side and play with the interface, because that is where theys systems stand and fall, usability. I fyou cant use it/program it easily dont bother with it, because oncxe you get it home you become so frustrated with the short comings of the interface you stop using it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2007, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodis41 View Post
You also might want to consider the Tom Tom Rider. Been about for a couple of years now and is therefore a known product.

I would also recommend going to somewhere where you can have a demo of both systems side by side and play with the interface, because that is where theys systems stand and fall, usability. I fyou cant use it/program it easily dont bother with it, because oncxe you get it home you become so frustrated with the short comings of the interface you stop using it.

If you go for the TomTom Rider make sure you get the new Version 2 as they have greatly improved the mounting system which was a bit suspect and they also now include a much better Bluetooth headset. It doen't have the built in speaker though so for car use you need to use the headset.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2007, 16:55

AFAIK, the Garmin devices are generally accepted to be the easiest to use and have the clearest mapping. That's what I keep reading, but then again, I am a loyal Garmin customer (2 handhelds for walking/geocaching, and one satnav) so am slightly biased
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2007, 20:04

I have a Garmin nuvi 660 and i love it. Works like a charm and is much better shaped than most Tomtom units, it actually fits in my pocket.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2nd May 2007, 23:59

I recently purchased a Navman N60i and it is very impressive. It has a larger screen that most of the portable units (4.3 inches) which was a major factor in going the Navman route and also has had some really good reviews.

Until the N60i I ran Destinator and then Co-Pilot on a laptop. The planning functions of a laptop program are hard to beat with a handheld portable but I've found the driving mode comparable in all respects.

Mike.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2007, 13:34
Supporter

Take a look at the HP Navigator rx5935.
Comes preinstalled with TT6 and Western Europe maps, 2Gb RAM!, Standard Pocket PC apps, bluetooth, wifi and mounting kit.

Looks great on the central vents on the Civic - pictures on this site.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2007, 13:40 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by spile View Post
Take a look at the HP Navigator rx5935.
Comes preinstalled with TT6 and Western Europe maps, 2Gb RAM!, Standard Pocket PC apps, bluetooth, wifi and mounting kit.

Looks great on the central vents on the Civic - pictures on this site.

Hi Spile, where are the pic's?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2007, 13:59

I've got a Zumo 550. Use it on both my Honda CBR 600f Motorcycle and in my Civic. It's absolutely perfect. No other words for it. It's easy to use and set up and with all it's features nothing will compare.

As for TomTom Rider. The main difference with the ZUMO is the fact on that you can download, make and import routes into the Zumo which you can then ride on your bike. The Rider cannot do this (it just takes you from A to B). Only for that reason you should go for the Zumo.

I could go on and on Bought my Zumo in february 2007 and have been happy with it ever since. Ok, it's more expensive that most navigation systems but then again, the 550 comes with Europe in it's memory, a Bike-mount (which really works well) and a car mount. In short, all you'll ever need. If you have any questions, don't hestitate to ask.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2007, 14:09 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Logic View Post
I've got a Zumo 550. Use it on both my Honda CBR 600f Motorcycle and in my Civic. It's absolutely perfect. No other words for it. It's easy to use and set up and with all it's features nothing will compare.

As for TomTom Rider. The main difference with the ZUMO is the fact on that you can download, make and import routes into the Zumo which you can then ride on your bike. The Rider cannot do this (it just takes you from A to B). Only for that reason you should go for the Zumo.

I could go on and on Bought my Zumo in february 2007 and have been happy with it ever since. Ok, it's more expensive that most navigation systems but then again, the 550 comes with Europe in it's memory, a Bike-mount (which really works well) and a car mount. In short, all you'll ever need. If you have any questions, don't hestitate to ask.
Thanks Twisted logic, from what you and others say the Zumo is the best option, and if I could just find out if I can hard wire it to the civic radio all would be perfect!
I use an autocom on the bike and the Zumo will plug straight into that along with my honda fittment radio, with the MP3 memory of the zumo it will be great to listen to my own music when on the move!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2007, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernowcivic View Post
Thanks Twisted logic, from what you and others say the Zumo is the best option, and if I could just find out if I can hard wire it to the civic radio all would be perfect!
I use an autocom on the bike and the Zumo will plug straight into that along with my honda fittment radio, with the MP3 memory of the zumo it will be great to listen to my own music when on the move!
I'm not sure if you can hardwire it to the radio. I'm not that technical. The Zumo itself doesn't have an audio extension (headphones) or a plug for the charger. These are in the car and bike-mount. So I guess if you want to hardwire it to your radio, you'd have to hardwire the mount.

Maybe you could use something like this:
http://www.mp3-europe.net/product/34...ter_dgt202.htm
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2007, 19:49 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Logic View Post
I'm not sure if you can hardwire it to the radio. I'm not that technical. The Zumo itself doesn't have an audio extension (headphones) or a plug for the charger. These are in the car and bike-mount. So I guess if you want to hardwire it to your radio, you'd have to hardwire the mount.

Maybe you could use something like this:
http://www.mp3-europe.net/product/34...ter_dgt202.htm
I will have to have a good look at the mounts and then see if I can hard wire them

If you have a bike did you get to the World Superbikes at Assen the weekend? I have been a few times in the past, I have just come back from WSB in Valencia, Spain what a trip great fun
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 3rd May 2007, 22:32

It has been announced that thousands of Garmin satnav devices are being recalled.

Apparently they are unable to find Manchester or Chelsea in Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 4th May 2007, 23:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepee View Post
It has been announced that thousands of Garmin satnav devices are being recalled.

Apparently they are unable to find Manchester or Chelsea in Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No real problem then.......hehe
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 5th May 2007, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernowcivic View Post
I will have to have a good look at the mounts and then see if I can hard wire them

If you have a bike did you get to the World Superbikes at Assen the weekend? I have been a few times in the past, I have just come back from WSB in Valencia, Spain what a trip great fun
Nop, didn't go to Assen. Haven't been to Spain as well nor to any other WSB or MotoGP-event, although we're planning the MotoGP in Assen this year. In the last three years I did go to Belgium, Germany, France, Austria, Swiss, Italy, Slovenia, Luxembourgh on my bike. Especially in Switzerland it's great riding with a Supersport.

I'll have to go to Spain and Portugal some day soon. But with a new Civic in the carpark at the moment it's difficult to choose what to drive (Oh, what sweet luxury)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 5th August 2007, 13:00
Enthusiastic Supporter

Car: 2006 2.2 5 door, Cosmic grey
Send a message via MSN to Miggins
Thumbs up My Zumo 550

Used and owned several Garmin Satnavs - looked at others and never as impressed. Garmin aren't perfect but the Zumo 550 which I have owned for just over a month - (thanks to the scrote who stole my bag and Garmin Quest!!!) is a quality piece of kit. Designed for bikes it may be but the clear touch sensitive screen and easy to use menus make it ideal for the car as well. (.......erm as well as on the move)

The announced street names and POI (inc custom entered) is very helpful but the speed camera database is a pain in the proverbial as it has the wrong speed limits set and is not very accurate (squawks 40mph speed camera when in a 60 and 1/2 mile away from a 40mph zone) Need to update/change the database.

The mounts used for the bike are by RAM (American firm) and high quality (lucky if you can use these on your average sports bike though - I tapped and screwed a RAM ball mount to the top yoke!) The windscreen mount is far better than any I have tried before - inc Garmin but it is that bit too far away in the Civ. Might look for an alternative - RAM have an extensive selection of mounting solutions that hold all types of equipment so I'm sure you will also find a quality solution for the car. (GPSWarehouse).

The ability to store a detailed map of virtually all of Europe on one 1Gb SD card means I don't need to take a laptop with me on my travels (but will!)

The integration with my Nokia N80 is excellent - no need for a supplemental mike. Crystal clear and easy to use - stores both call history and numbers against poi's - custom and default database. It has saved me paying out for a separate phone system. Bluetooth headset works as expected.

Don't know about integrating with the radio - Garmin tend to limit what you can do and have removed various bits of functionality over the years that was included on what are now obsolete units but made the Zumo a very good all round package.

It gets a fix very quickly and recalculates within a few seconds of going off route (even for 800mile routes). Haven't fathomed the detour function yet - seems you cant choose the detour it just proffers several solutions. It doesn't need an external aerial as some units do even when behind a heated screen.

Wish they had put a belt loop on the included case and although some protection has been included for the screen I would't be confident of an impact to a corner. Still at least they have included a lot more in this package than previously.

I deliberated for some time before forking out £420 (ebuyer) but have not been disappointed and definately worth the extra over the 500 (lees of the 'essential' functionality as well as maps).

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (and I don't work for them either!!!)

Last edited by Miggins; 5th August 2007 at 13:08.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page