Horn Replacing Honda Civic Horn with A STEBEL AIR HORN - Civinfo
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Creiborum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11th April 2011, 13:32 Thread Starter
As good as it gets!

Car: 2008 HondaCivic 1.4 i-Dsi SE
Talking Replacing Honda Civic Horn with A STEBEL AIR HORN

Hi I would like some clues as to how hard it would be for me to install A Stebel air horn in place of my original Honda Civic standard horn, A local electrical installation company wanted to charge me 38 + vat per hour and could take a couple of hours..

As well, would I need to fit the relay that comes with the air horn or is there A relay already in the civic which would suffice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12th April 2011, 00:38
Supporter

Car: 2017 1.8i Navi, White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creiborum View Post
Hi I would like some clues as to how hard it would be for me to install A Stebel air horn in place of my original Honda Civic standard horn, A local electrical installation company wanted to charge me 38 + vat per hour and could take a couple of hours..

As well, would I need to fit the relay that comes with the air horn or is there A relay already in the civic which would suffice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks......
Try this How To
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12th April 2011, 12:07 Thread Starter
As good as it gets!
** Thread starter **

Hey thanks for the link seems a major job but one well worth doing i'm sure, might tackle this in a couple of weekends time.

Many thanks..
Akmal likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 15th April 2011, 11:04
Supporter

Car: Golf GTI
Quote:
Hey thanks for the link seems a major job but one well worth doing i'm sure, might tackle this in a couple of weekends time.

Many thanks..

The existing relay within the horn circuit will be more than suitable for the job - no need to fit the included relay
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 15th April 2011, 12:55 Thread Starter
As good as it gets!
** Thread starter **

Using the stebel relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by john87 View Post
The existing relay within the horn circuit will be more than suitable for the job - no need to fit the included relay
Hello john87, I was last night round with Glen from Greenaway auto electrics which is absed in Lord St. He said to use the relay that came with the Stebel horn as it is supplied for a reason, and wouldn't suggest installing it without using their relay. As he could not guarantee the Honda's own relay would be up to the job and might end up causing more problems than it would be worth. So to be on the safe side I went up to Cost A Lot Halfords, and purchased 32 worth of electrical bits & bobs so going to do it myself as i'm installing two nautilus stebel air horns one on each side of the car behind the bumper, I will upload piccys of the whole install and maybe do AN IN DEPTH DIY How to.... Should sound better than the factory fitted horn as I have been told that the Stebel isnt that much louder than factory anyone know this for sure?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 15th April 2011, 16:56
Supporter

Air horn rocks

This thread got me into thinking it's about time tu upgrade horn on my current Civic... like I did on my previous one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car6.jpg (56.6 KB, 348 views)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 18th April 2011, 19:45 Thread Starter
As good as it gets!
** Thread starter **

Yea know what you mean my ** has A train horn fitted to his vehicle and it would scare the living **** out of you standing inside any building with ear protectors on.

This is a link of where to buy them.. As that is my next install for legal reasons I need A standard horn of course..

HornBlasters Shocker 2 Gallon Train Horn Kit | HornBlasters
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 20th April 2011, 13:36
Supporter

Quote:
Hello john87, I was last night round with Glen from Greenaway auto electrics which is absed in Lord St. He said to use the relay that came with the Stebel horn as it is supplied for a reason, and wouldn't suggest installing it without using their relay. As he could not guarantee the Honda's own relay would be up to the job and might end up causing more problems than it would be worth. So to be on the safe side I went up to Cost A Lot Halfords, and purchased 32 worth of electrical bits & bobs so going to do it myself as i'm installing two nautilus stebel air horns one on each side of the car behind the bumper, I will upload piccys of the whole install and maybe do AN IN DEPTH DIY How to.... Should sound better than the factory fitted horn as I have been told that the Stebel isnt that much louder than factory anyone know this for sure?
If you were fitting one 'Nautilus' horn then the standard relay would be more than suitable...factor of safety built in to the standard setup means the OEM relay will be more than enough...I believe they supply a relay with the horn kit as some cars with single disc horns (corsa b, old micra etc) did not feature a relay in the horn circuit.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 26th April 2011, 22:37 Thread Starter
As good as it gets!
** Thread starter **

Hello John..

I installed the two Stebel air horns over the weekend, and it sounds pretty loud and fantastic over the standard factory Honda horn, very worthwhile and satisfactory upgrade.

I'm sure to be heard now, as my neighbours which are some half mile away actually quoted and said those horns you have are way too loud, lol..

Anyway thanks for your reply and yes to be safe I fitted the relays that came with the horns as I was installing two Stebel air horns just to be on the safe side, very pleased indeed..

God they are loud, can't wait to use them...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th April 2011, 13:34
Supporter

Sounds like a decent result I bet you can't wait for the next school-run-mum (no offence girls) to fly out in front of you at the next roundabout...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 27th April 2011, 20:16 Thread Starter
As good as it gets!
** Thread starter **

I remember one time tooting at a guy coming out of a slip road, I tooted him to let him know I was there. He seemed to be ok as he was making a u turn driving the opposite direction, then? In my rear view mirror I saw this driver mount the centeral reservation and drive after me with full head lights on anyway, he swerved in front of me and when he got out he was a rippling mas of bone and sinu with GOLD'S WORLD JIM emblazened across his 54'' chest. God I nearly filled my trunks where I stood, lol.. Well we did a bit of mouthing as I politely told him that I most probabally come of the worst and end up sucking food out of a straw and be wheel chair bound for the rest of my life, I then told this idiot that every time he would look in the mirror he would never forget me as I would mark him for life, eeeks. Anyway I think the crying of one of his rear seat children broke his madness as this guy looked crazy and just walked backwards to his motor got in and drove of at speed with smoke belching from the acceleration of the car tyres on asphalt.

So moral of the story only toot if absolutely necessary, he he he....
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2011, 12:49
Supporter

Car: 2010 Cooper Clubman D
I had got myself a Nautilus type all in one air horn for fitting to my car yesterday but had to give up on that idea when I had the bumper removed and found I didn't have enough room to fit it. I shot down to Halfords and bought a Ring twin air horn which because of the seperate horns meants I could shoe horn(!) the 3 components in. I knew there isn't any space under the bonnet but was expecting more room under the bumper. Just that there are plastic mouldings, radiator, air con condenser and oil cooler? taking up all the room.

These air horns advise on a 10A fuse so I removed the existing horns and fitted this in place. If I find it blows the standard fitted 15A in the fusebox then I'll rig up the relay.

Nice touch is that the red horns are visible through the splitter under the bumper as that was only place I could squeeze them.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Tags
air horn , horn , loud , replacing civic horn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page