Electrics Audio System on 07 2.2 EX Pretty Gone... - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 26th April 2011, 23:14 Thread Starter

Audio System on 07 2.2 EX Pretty Gone...

Alright,

This is my first post so please be gentle

I have been drawn to the forum due to an issue (and one of many to be honest) I am having with my 2007 5-door Civic 2.2 CDTI EX S&L (thought I'd put the long name ).

When tootling down to Alton Towers the other week, CD player going, there was a hell of a bang which sounded like when you put speaker wires together and the radio shut off. Luckily I was on the M62 and hence stationary, so popped ignition off then on and it all came back to life, albeit the dash was VERY hot.

Anyways, all was well until the LCD screen (which shows clock, climate etc) started to flicker with a 'feedback' type noise over the speakers and eventually went off all together, only flicking on now and again.

Over the next few days, the radio started to jump stations, jump functions and the CD player was very temperamental.

Finally, the stereo has lost all controllability; it is constantly 'on' playing white noise of flickering volume levels, so annoying and deafening that I have had to pull the fuse as I cannot turn it off.

Has anyone ever had such issues? Funnily enough the Sat Nav screen has remained functional (until I pulled the fuse) but the audio menu will not show up, voice rec don't function and Bluetooth is dead.

Any help would be brilliant and much appreciated, even if it is only advise on dismantling the dash.

Regards,

Diehard

Last edited by Diehard; 26th April 2011 at 23:17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 27th April 2011, 09:04

Car: 2010 1.8 Si milano Red
When I drive my VW Polo at work, every so often, (maybe once a month) I get a very loud bang out of the speakers, and it all switches off, frightens the life out of me, then after a few seconds, I switch it back on again, and then I see "learning" on the display, for about a minute, it looks like it is loading all the stations and settings info back into it's memory, it's a horrible noise, but only seems to do this if I play a lot of MP3 CD's etc not sure if it is overheating or long use that causes it, if I just listen to the radio, everything is fine, good luck with your Civic DH

Last edited by Starpoint; 28th April 2011 at 00:13.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 27th April 2011, 13:26 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpoint View Post
When I drive my VW Polo at work, every so often, (maybe once a month) I get a very loud bang out of the speakers, and it all switches off, frightens the life out of me, then after a few seconds, I switch it back on again, and then I see "learning" on the display, for about a minute, it looks like it is loading all the station and settings info back into it's memory, it's a horrible noise, but only seems to do this if I play a lot of MP3 CD's etc not sure if it is overheating or long use that causes it, if I just listen to the radio, everything is fine, good luck with your Civic DH
Funnily enough it was an MP3 CD I was listening too when it went pop... Really hope it's not melted something inside.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 27th April 2011, 14:08
Supporter

Car: 08, 2.2 CDTI ES, Galazy Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Alright,

This is my first post so please be gentle

I have been drawn to the forum due to an issue (and one of many to be honest) I am having with my 2007 5-door Civic 2.2 CDTI EX S&L (thought I'd put the long name ).

When tootling down to Alton Towers the other week, CD player going, there was a hell of a bang which sounded like when you put speaker wires together and the radio shut off. Luckily I was on the M62 and hence stationary, so popped ignition off then on and it all came back to life, albeit the dash was VERY hot.

Anyways, all was well until the LCD screen (which shows clock, climate etc) started to flicker with a 'feedback' type noise over the speakers and eventually went off all together, only flicking on now and again.

Over the next few days, the radio started to jump stations, jump functions and the CD player was very temperamental.

Finally, the stereo has lost all controllability; it is constantly 'on' playing white noise of flickering volume levels, so annoying and deafening that I have had to pull the fuse as I cannot turn it off.

Has anyone ever had such issues? Funnily enough the Sat Nav screen has remained functional (until I pulled the fuse) but the audio menu will not show up, voice rec don't function and Bluetooth is dead.

Any help would be brilliant and much appreciated, even if it is only advise on dismantling the dash.

Regards,

Diehard
I'd recommend you take it to a Honda Dealer or Auto Electrician and get it checked. Definitely should not be doing that!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 30th April 2011, 18:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Well pulled the radio out today, disconnects all connections and check every male and female socket for scorching, broken wires etc but all good. Couldn't get behind DVD screen/clock screen tho, however I am thinking the actual single DIN master unit is knckered.

Does anyone known if the CD unit is the same on all similar age hondas with the SAt Nav, Bluetooth, Voice Control etc being just Add on units if spec requires them?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 30th April 2011, 19:17
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Well pulled the radio out today, disconnects all connections and check every male and female socket for scorching, broken wires etc but all good. Couldn't get behind DVD screen/clock screen tho, however I am thinking the actual single DIN master unit is knckered. Does anyone known if the CD unit is the same on all similar age hondas with the SAt Nav, Bluetooth, Voice Control etc being just Add on units if spec requires them?
First, get a good auto-electrician to check it out …

Second, if the unit is dead - all Civics pre-2009 are exactly the same - try a vehicle dismantler ? …
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 1st June 2011, 19:54

i have the similar problem.but i realised that when this hapening i switch on climate at the lowest degree , its come back and works normally. i thinks its about overheating problem , i will go to dealer next saturday what will say ?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 8th June 2011, 06:22
Mugenised CR-Z GT

Car: 2010 CR-Z GT
Eco display
If you have the radio out take the top cover off and look for any blown capacitors or scorching on the circuit board

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page