Phone Incoming Call Announcements, on Screen - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2006, 23:15 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
HFT - display incoming call id?

One of the things that is begining to bug me about the HFT is the way it is unable to display either the number, or preferably, the id of the incoming call (either from HFT phonebook, or preferably phone phonebook)

I therefore have to answer ever incoming call with my best 'work phone' voice - which is causing my wife no end of hilarity

Am I just being stupid - I've RTFM, but can't find any way to get it to do it

HFT 'issue', or is it down to the bluetooth protocol not supporting it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2006, 23:19
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Maldax
A bit of both. I am looking to mount my phone somewhere so I dont just get the 'You have an incomming phone call'
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2006, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDegs View Post
One of the things that is begining to bug me about the HFT is the way it is unable to display either the number, or preferably, the id of the incoming call (either from HFT phonebook, or preferably phone phonebook)

I therefore have to answer ever incoming call with my best 'work phone' voice - which is causing my wife no end of hilarity

Am I just being stupid - I've RTFM, but can't find any way to get it to do it

HFT 'issue', or is it down to the bluetooth protocol not supporting it?

If this is the true extent of the HFT's ability, then that it is truly poor. Honda should be able to produce a better system than this. The whole point of the BT technology is that you do not have to see the phone in a cradle, it could be in your pocket, or even in a brief case in the boot.

Come on Honda, must try harder........

Of course if the above quote is incorrect (I really hope it is), then I take it back

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 22nd September 2006, 23:38

Same problem here. I think we're just going to have to put up with it I'm afraid.

I'm sure Honda will get it sorted on the next generation of HFT (whwnever that might be!).
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 02:34

my advice. get a nokia n80.
it says the name of the person whos calling, even if you havent added a voice tag. sheer brilliance, and helps in the exact situation
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 09:54

As far as I'm aware its the limitations of bluetooth v1 which most phones and the honda have on it.

Only newer phones (like the previously mentioned nokia's) are starting to put on v2 of bluetooth so it transmits information such as caller ID and even text messages to the car. Even if you have a newer phone the car has to support it as well and it seems to be only newer mercedes are starting to put it on their cars.

Some older cars have this ability but its only because you plug the phone into the car rather than it being bluetooth. So I don't think that this will be possible until phones start getting up to date and honda change the bluetooth module in the car
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 23rd September 2006, 10:11

I currently have a Parrot kit in my Golf ( as mentioned elsewhere ). This cost 99 and integrates with the stereo, mute etc.

It will dial a stored name by voice.
Notify me when a call is incoming, with either the number, or ID if programmed in the phone - It will also, if I have set the name up as a voice dial, announce the caller (in my voice, which is weird at first). This works with all BT phones, and has superb sound/voice quality.

see here :

http://www.parrot.biz/uk/products/ck3100-lcd

I am not sure that it is a BT version issue with the Honda, as these Parrot kits have been around for ages. It seems that when I get in the car, the Parrot downloads phonebook information from my phone to itself. This can then be used for dialing, incoming call alerts etc. Very, very good and I am disappointed that when I get my EX this will be a major downgrade as far as the phone is concerned.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 13th November 2006, 14:04

Hi there, first post an all.

Ive just got a Civic EX with HFT on order and found myself here looking for more info on the bluetooth implementation.

I find it very strange that Honda havent added this capability on the Civic.

We got my partner a new 2006 Grande Punto Sporting a few months ago and that has full bluetooth handsfree capabilty, when you first pair the phone the car downloads the whole of your phone directory into its memory and then you can either scroll down you names in the display in the dash or press a button on the steering wheel and speak the name without any voice training. Conversley, when you receive an incoming call it displays the name in the dash display - I just assumed the Civic would have been the same, and feel a little short changed by it

Ah well - still can't wait for it to arrive
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 13th November 2006, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan2 View Post
my advice. get a nokia n80.
it says the name of the person whos calling, even if you havent added a voice tag. sheer brilliance, and helps in the exact situation
I'll like to know how it work's on the N80 as mine won't ?
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 13th November 2006, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
I'll like to know how it work's on the N80 as mine won't ?
Ahh, i can help you here too...

Menu > Profiles > Personalise Profile > Say Callers Name > On

Cheers!
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 13th November 2006, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtster View Post
Ahh, i can help you here too...

Menu > Profiles > Personalise Profile > Say Callers Name > On

Cheers!

Sorry i did'nt make myself clear, i don't want the phone to say the name i want the display on the car to show it.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 13th November 2006, 23:41

It is not a bluetooth specification problem. Bluetooth is just a protocol for transmitting data wirelessly. It defines how two devices can make connections and then talk to each other , eg HOW data is transmitted/received , it doesnt define what data content can be sent - that is down to the higher level software on the devices at either end ie the Host software. Now I dont know who writes that on the Honda!!

Think of bluetooth as being similar to USB(albeit wireless), you can plug a printer into your pc via usb and there is a specification that says how the data is transferred from one to the other but that specification wont say whether or not you can tell your printer to print double sided by clicking an icon on your pc !

I would expect something like caller id to be easy to do whatever version of bluetooth was present as its basically just a set of numbers so would be sent as a normal 'data' packet and wouldnt require a high bandwidth or anything like that. Honda probably just forgot to put it in or thought it wouldnt be wanted!!

Hope that helps!
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 14th November 2006, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by abridge View Post
It is not a bluetooth specification problem. Bluetooth is just a protocol for transmitting data wirelessly. It defines how two devices can make connections and then talk to each other , eg HOW data is transmitted/received , it doesnt define what data content can be sent - that is down to the higher level software on the devices at either end ie the Host software. Now I dont know who writes that on the Honda!!

Think of bluetooth as being similar to USB(albeit wireless), you can plug a printer into your pc via usb and there is a specification that says how the data is transferred from one to the other but that specification wont say whether or not you can tell your printer to print double sided by clicking an icon on your pc !

I would expect something like caller id to be easy to do whatever version of bluetooth was present as its basically just a set of numbers so would be sent as a normal 'data' packet and wouldnt require a high bandwidth or anything like that. Honda probably just forgot to put it in or thought it wouldnt be wanted!!

Hope that helps!

So then the Honda's display is unable to show names or numbers, it's not just mine then?
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 14th November 2006, 18:17

Hey JohnD,

It's not just your phone/car. Mine doesn't provide callers' information on the screen either. If I'm on the Audio screen and I receive a call, then I have an icon with a phone which is off the hook

Surely Honda can just upgrade the system, it's probably just a software thing. I hope they do, 'cos that'll be cool.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 14th November 2006, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDirect View Post
Hey JohnD,

It's not just your phone/car. Mine doesn't provide callers' information on the screen either. If I'm on the Audio screen and I receive a call, then I have an icon with a phone which is off the hook

Surely Honda can just upgrade the system, it's probably just a software thing. I hope they do, 'cos that'll be cool.

Thanks for the reply, i thought it was a fault with the car's display.
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 15th November 2006, 01:01
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
If it can be done, i imagine with enough pleading with honda it could be easily implemented at future car servicing dates....
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 7th May 2007, 14:24

Incoming Call Announcements, on Screen

Anyone wrote to Honda yet asking why the Civic doesn't show this?

Maybe it's just a little software tweak required eh?

Modern car needs modern things.

"I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it!"

Charles H.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 7th May 2007, 16:52

I am amazed that something so basic is missing from the set-up. Surely they must be looking into this even if it is just to catch up to the competition.
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 7th May 2007, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjelsworth View Post
I am amazed that something so basic is missing from the set-up. Surely they must be looking into this even if it is just to catch up to the competition.
Perhaps Honda have got it already sorted out and they are trying to ring their software engineers, and as the engineers have not got that facility they dont know who's calling and therefore won't pick up.

Got a round robin here I think!

"The directors in this company always seem to bite the hand that lays the golden egg!"

Charles H.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 7th May 2007, 19:54

yer we definatley deserve better software

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page