2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Yorkshire Users Of The TMC System!

TMC 
3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  TTDegs 
#1 ·
Thought I would inform you all of a problem with this service.

I posted on another thread about my TMC suddenly stopping working. Well I gave the system the 3 finger salute" and found my TMC tunes into 105.1 FM which is Galaxy 105 Yorkshire & Lincolnshire.

There was 1 error rate on the screen so no info was getting through.

I work at a radio station in Bradford so rang a company called Arqiva who look after most FM transmitters in the country. They are based at Emley Moor (the TV mast you can see from all over West Yorkshire!) and asked them about the problem. They said they look after the TMC and it broadcasts from Emley Moor and have had no alarms saying there is a problem.

He checked while I was on the phone to see if it was working and it wasn't!

So if your Civic picks this frequency up in Yorkshire then it won't be working.

They are working on the problem now and will let you know when it is up and running again.

Amazing how such a thing can go down without them knowing!

See less See more
#6 ·
A quick update.

Just spoke to Arqiva and they have just fixed it about an hour ago. They said that the system needed a restart as crashed.

As the system is at the top of Emley Moor TV mast they can't get an ISDN up there, so it uses a standard phone line which doesn't have an alarm when anything goes wrong.

So it could happen again and they wouldn't know unless someone like me lets them know.

Hope it is working again for everyone.

#10 ·
Yeah I have driven in today and it wasn't working!

I have reported the problem to Arqiva again, so thanks for posting and letting me know again.

PLEASE KEEP REPORTING WHEN IT GOES DOWN AGAIN!!!!!!!

#12 ·
Well from speaking to Arqiva, Traffic Master are the ones which have there equipment on the Emley TV mast, which Arqiva own. So I don't know if it is Traffic Master responsible for the TMC equipment itself, and Arqiva are the ones monitoring it (or not as maybe the case!) and who maintain the equipment.

The feed for the TMC comes from Traffic Master into the box on the TV Mast and the box keeps on freezing up, which they don't know why.

As they never know it has gone off due to the height of where it is broadcast from, they only know when someone reports it!

Thank god for us lot eh?

#17 ·
Where abouts in North Lincs Pottsy? I visit there quite often as my mum lives there. Just outside Scunthorpe near a village called Scotter!

It will most likely be the same problem affecting me and the others in West Yorkshire. As Arqiva are being told each time it falls over now, then they will start to fix it properly, and if they found other problems, such as what you have had in North Lincs then that too should have been fixed.

If you can pick up Galaxy crystal clearly on your radio, then you should also receive the TMC data with no problems at all.

#18 ·
I have to drive every week up the A46 from Leicester to Grimsby, and yes we can get (and Jayne listens to) Galaxy from Newark upwards. But the TMC never worked on the northern part of that journey, and on coming home it wouldn't go green until somewhere between Lincoln and Nottingham (see this).

Now it works perfectly!

We both have a Lincs history - Jayne was a Scunny Honey* and I used to live in Elsham.

* To claify, still is a Honey, and lived near to Scunny.... :)

#19 ·
I have to drive every week up the A46 from Leicester to Grimsby, and yes we can get (and Jayne listens to) Galaxy from Newark upwards. But the TMC never worked on the northern part of that journey, and on coming home it wouldn't go green until somewhere between Lincoln and Nottingham (see this).

Now it works perfectly!

We both have a Lincs history - Jayne was a Scunny Honey* and I used to live in Elsham.

* To claify, still is a Honey, and lived near to Scunny.... :)
You got yourself out of that pretty sharpish :D

#21 ·
I reported it yesterday and have just rang them again. They have someone up Emley Moor TV mast as we speak fixing the problem!!!!

Seems to be a much bigger problem than a simple reset this time. Thanks for letting me, and please continue to inform me of when it is down as I will report it for everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.