Alarm Should i fit a clifford alarm to my car - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 11:43 Thread Starter
As good as it gets!

Car: 2008 HondaCivic 1.4 i-Dsi SE
Should i fit a clifford alarm to my car

Simple question guys & girls. Should I fit a Clifford alarm that works with Hondas alarm to make it a category 1 Thatchman approved with siren and internal sensors..

Simple replys, thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 11:47
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Car: BMW 125i
How much does it knock off insurance compared to having one fitted?

I.E if knocks 30 off insurance but cost 700 then possibly not- unless you feel it necessary based on where you leave your car/ peace of mind
Thanks to Ben GT from:
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 11:52 Thread Starter
As good as it gets!
** Thread starter **

It will cost 250 and is a clifford 330x2 which is an upgrade alarm for the civic. There is no immobiliser with the alarm as that is already in the civic it just brings it from a cat 2 to a cat 1 with sensors and six tone siren, with door sensors..

So would do you think thats a good deal... They are a reputable clifford insurance approved installers of all alarm and immobilisers..

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 12:56
Supporter

If you didnt think you needed it you wouldnt ask so imo you need it.

For 250 you cant really complain. It would put your mind at rest aswell.

Is that 250 fitted or just the product? If its fitted I would do it just for that extra peace of mind.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 13:04
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Car: BMW 125i
Shop around too. Here are the official installers in Belfast;
Clifford (United Kingdom) - Find a Store
Thanks to Ben GT from:
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 13:07 Thread Starter
As good as it gets!
** Thread starter **

Thats 250 fitted. And it comes with internal sensors body shock, siren and of course fitting to the oem honda immobiliser..
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 13:16
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creiborum View Post
Thats 250 fitted. And it comes with internal sensors body shock, siren and of course fitting to the oem honda immobiliser..
I would go for it. Personally.

What you can do in the mean time is phone your insurer and ask for a new quote with the new Alarm kit. See what saving you could make.
Thanks to onweed from:
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 13:28 Thread Starter
As good as it gets!
** Thread starter **

Thank you OWNEED, & BEN GT for your input. Your replys have been very helpful in wether I should or not go for this install.. So I will add that alarm to my car, thanks..
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 13:51

Doubt it would make a difference to the insurance, CAT 2 is what they look for. All an alarm does is highlight the fact a car has been broken into after the damage (the claim) has been done.

In the topsy world of insurance underwriting its a 250 modification, may actually increase your insurance.

Sidenote I thought all Civ's had the alarm as well as immobiliser.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 14:16
CCC

I wouldn't fit a Clifford alarm, my family have used Clifford before and they tend to drain the battery if left more than 2 weeks. These alarms have caused nothing but problems, and some car electrians won't touch them.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC View Post
I wouldn't fit a Clifford alarm, my family have used Clifford before and they tend to drain the battery if left more than 2 weeks. These alarms have caused nothing but problems, and some car electrians won't touch them.
Only if installed by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Cliffords are great alarms, but like most things, are usually compromised by the quality of the install.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 20:05 Thread Starter
As good as it gets!
** Thread starter **

Your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC View Post
Hi CCC..
I remember having A Peugeot many years ago and I had A Clifford alarm fitted to it because there was no immobiliser no electric windows no security what so ever, and even then Clifford alarms werent as reliable as they are now, I owned that car for 8 years and in all that time the Clifford alarm never gave not one days problem it worked flawlessly STEVE R1979 is absolutely correct your alarm will only be as good as the install I’m going to A company who's been installing car alarms and immobilisers for all the car dealerships and has been doing this for over 25 years.
I was going to attempt to install it myself but I know my limitations so best left to the experts. The reason I’m going for the Clifford is simple, Clifford alarms are made for the American market they have a six tone siren when activated so it won’t sound like any car alarm going of in the middle of the night, it also has 12 tones to choose from which can be added by my installer using Clifford Wizard so I’ll definitely know when my alarm is triggered, as it stands now in it's present condition my car won't alarm if someone breaks the window, pops the hood, in general body shocks the car, so after the install of my new alarm I’ll know when my car alarm or chirps, and like the Viper alarms their Sirens are the best pity our European laws dictate the sound is limited to 128dB..
250 seems a lot as I can buy the alarm for as little as 99, for the Clifford 330x2 upgrade alarm thats a 151 profit or 50 an hour if it takes 3 hours which i'll doubt..

My Civic looks nice and when I arm it or disarm it it will give 1 chirp on arming and two chirps on disarming, it will have internal sensors, so if someone breaks the window the alarm will sound, at the minute if someone breaks the window it will do nothing, I just prefer the added security an alarm like this will give and at least it will maybe deter thieves interfering with my motor if they do happen to smash the window when the alarm and air horns sound because my air horns are a whopping 138Db so thats going to draw attention only because of the noise level alone.

Last edited by Creiborum; 4th May 2011 at 20:49.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 22:45

Car: 2009 CTR CW
You could consider fitting just the Clifford Blackjax component at around 160 fitted. It's an anti-carjack device (or self-recovery device) that I've had fitted on all three of my CTRs.

It works as an immobiliser, however, it's used in conjunction with the revs of the car, pedal movement, door / boot / bonnet opening and a timer. When you get in, you tap the code onto a two-key keypad (combination of presses). If a door is subsequently opened and the code is not keyed, once the car is in motion, after 20 seconds you get four warning blips (to remind you to enter the code). If the correct code is not keyed within another 20 seconds, the ignition is cut in pulses (whilst sounding the alarm and flashing your brake lights to warn traffic behind) until the car is brought to a gradual halt when the immobiliser cuts the ignition completely.

The theory is that if you're car-jacked (or it's stolen), the thieves get a safe distance away before the car cuts out. When they leg-it, you return to the car, key in the code and off you go.

You can put it into a valet mode using your code, for servicing etc.

The only nuisance is if you or a passenger opens a door whilst the car's running, but you do get the warning blips and you soon get used to it.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 4th May 2011, 23:02
Big T

Car: 09 CTR GT Nighthawk black
i like clifford i have always had them on my cars.....maybe this is the new one for me ....prox sensors to lol good fun.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 5th May 2011, 01:26
Dr. Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy888 View Post
You could consider fitting just the Clifford Blackjax component at around 160 fitted. It's an anti-carjack device (or self-recovery device) that I've had fitted on all three of my CTRs.

It works as an immobiliser, however, it's used in conjunction with the revs of the car, pedal movement, door / boot / bonnet opening and a timer. When you get in, you tap the code onto a two-key keypad (combination of presses). If a door is subsequently opened and the code is not keyed, once the car is in motion, after 20 seconds you get four warning blips (to remind you to enter the code). If the correct code is not keyed within another 20 seconds, the ignition is cut in pulses (whilst sounding the alarm and flashing your brake lights to warn traffic behind) until the car is brought to a gradual halt when the immobiliser cuts the ignition completely.

The theory is that if you're car-jacked (or it's stolen), the thieves get a safe distance away before the car cuts out. When they leg-it, you return to the car, key in the code and off you go.

You can put it into a valet mode using your code, for servicing etc.

The only nuisance is if you or a passenger opens a door whilst the car's running, but you do get the warning blips and you soon get used to it.
Sounds pretty interesting, might have to look into that. Not that many people are stupid enough to carjack a 6'2" scouser, lol.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 5th May 2011, 01:34
Supporter

Car: 2009 CTR championship white
Put it this way and I don't mince my words either!!!
CLIFFORD ARE THE BEST AND THAT IS IT.
Draining battery drivel etc. No other company can rival their expertise!!!! A very big player in the security Market.

Last edited by DEZIBOY; 5th May 2011 at 01:36.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 5th May 2011, 13:40
Supporter

Car: 2007 CTR, Red
I've got an 07 ctr and assumed it had internal sensors? just next to where the internal lights are? is this right??
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 5th May 2011, 14:01
...............Daedalus

Car: CW Type R No. 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislich View Post
I've got an 07 ctr and assumed it had internal sensors? just next to where the internal lights are? is this right??
Yup, that's right.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 5th May 2011, 15:46 Thread Starter
As good as it gets!
** Thread starter **

Hi Chrislich.

My honda is the 2008 1.4 i dsi. se It doesn't have internal sensors beside the internal light housing.. I have checked this already, hence why i'm going for this install.. Thanks
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 5th May 2011, 15:48

If you go for a Clifford, you have to get Intellistart as well...end of!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Tags
alarm , clifford , sensors , siren , six tone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page