Warnings Mulitple and various Check System warnings - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th May 2011, 13:40 Thread Starter

Car: 2007, 1.8s 5 door, black
Mulitple and various Check System warnings

Hi, ive got a civic 57 plate 1.8s. Its been great from new until last week when the Check System light came on, followed by the check VSA, Check Airbags, Check ABS and a host of other various 'check' lights. this continues for about 3 cycles, during which the speedometer dosent display the speed, finally it just says check system.

Put it into Honda and they said they didnt know and even Honda Technical were struggling, they took it in for a full day and said there was an issue with the electronics harness, and its fixed now. This fixed it for 2 days, then the fault came back, but not everytime as it was previously.

Ive booked it back into honda, theyve advised that if the ECU needs renewing then it will set me back 700 plus labour to fit, ive already spent 250 with Honda when they tried to diagnose the fault.

Just wondering if anybody else has seen this issue.

Last edited by robel; 16th May 2011 at 14:13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th May 2011, 14:23
無限 Unlimited

Car: 59 Mugenised CTR
I know your car is just over 3yrs, but only just. I'd argue for it to be covered under warranty. Sounds like they are guessing as to what the fault is if they weren't able to pin point it before, are they absolutely certain the ECU needs renewing? what do they say the reason for failure is? A 1000 just to see if that will cure the issue is a lot of money. Maybe a snotty letter to Honda UK is in order?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th May 2011, 14:29 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

They havent said what the failure was other than there was an issue with the wiring harness, so why they are quoting me 700 for an ecu is anybodies guess, its booked in tomorrow again for further investigation, ive no confidence that they have any sort of clue why this is occurring, but i agree with you, i will be writing to Honda Customer service today.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th May 2011, 14:41
無限 Unlimited

Definately don't pay out anymore. Maybe they can somehow provide proof that the ECU is at fault by swapping a known good unit with the one in your car. I'd be pushing for Honda UK to cover this type of fault.

The thread below may/may not be the issue you've got but interesting read and also has an e-mail address for Honda customer services

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-fa...tor-spike.html
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th May 2011, 14:59
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to DUNCAN
disconnect the car battery for one hour.
Sean this when battery is going
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th May 2011, 15:15 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yes good logic ill be asking them to demonstrate that this ecu will work first before taking this any further, i'll contact Honda using that email address. thanks for that. The reason i bought a Honda in the first place was to get away from these sort of ECU related poor quality issues that i was previously plagued with on Vauxhall's, i was just about to buy another Honda but this has put me right off. Its not the sort of issue youd expect to get with Honda and im certainly not happy about paying over 1000 to rectify on a 4 year old car.
Thanks for you help
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th May 2011, 15:25
無限 Unlimited

No probs.

Also try Duncans suggestion, worth a try and won't cost you a thing. It is known that the OEM batterys aren't that great and a weak battery may cause the same symptoms as Duncan says.

Perhaps you can also take the battery out and give it a quick charge for a few hours before putting it back in.
Thanks to Laney from:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 16th May 2011, 15:41 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Yep good suggestion, ive not got the car at the moment so cant try the battery, my wife has it at work till 11 tonight, and as its in again with Honda first thing i'll be asking them if they have tried that, i can borrow a battery charger tomorrow so ill see what they come up with tomorrow, meanwhile im putting together an email to Honda. Again, thanks for your help. ill let you know how i get on tomorrow.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 20th May 2011, 21:23
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to DUNCAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by robel View Post
Hi, ive got a civic 57 plate 1.8s. Its been great from new until last week when the Check System light came on, followed by the check VSA, Check Airbags, Check ABS and a host of other various 'check' lights. this continues for about 3 cycles, during which the speedometer dosent display the speed, finally it just says check system.

Put it into Honda and they said they didnt know and even Honda Technical were struggling, they took it in for a full day and said there was an issue with the electronics harness, and its fixed now. This fixed it for 2 days, then the fault came back, but not everytime as it was previously.

Ive booked it back into honda, theyve advised that if the ECU needs renewing then it will set me back 700 plus labour to fit, ive already spent 250 with Honda when they tried to diagnose the fault.

Just wondering if anybody else has seen this issue.
any news ??
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10th June 2011, 18:33 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Hi, sorry for not replying earlier, after a long discussion with Honda UK, they agreed to fund 50% of the ECU, and also local Honda Dealer discounted the labour costs. So all in all the job cost me 300, thats additional to the 220 that the Honda dealer had already charged me for diagnostics. So 520 cost to me in total, and its been running fine for a few weeks now.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page