Satnav NAV DVD lense - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 26th May 2011, 00:14 Thread Starter

Car: 2007 Black EX / Nav
NAV DVD lense

Hi All, has anyone ever replaced the laser diode in their Alpine NAV DVD ?

Specifically I mean DIY or a local electronics repairer as opposed to sending it off to Alpine UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 26th May 2011, 00:47
Mugenised CR-Z GT

Car: 2010 CR-Z GT
Eco display
i think alpine charge 150, if i remember
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 26th May 2011, 12:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Car: 2007 Black EX / Nav
The full story is I bought a lense direct from Alpine for 40 and carefully fitted it myself, but gutted as it just came up with read errors.

The Latest price for 'refurb' from Alpine is ~180= due to vat / inflation increases. So I've already outlaid 40 and know I have a NEW lense...but still facing a 180 bill if I send it in.

There are vendors on ebay selling aftermarket integrated DVD player NAV units for just over 300 and these appear to have compatible A/C controls.

The old DVD based non-3D nav units are not that brilliant and I see the lense will pack up again because its permanently on. Whereas the newer aftermarket units have solid state memory ( micro SD ) nav and the DVD player is only on when the player is spinning an MP3 or DIVX movie disc.

So the dialema is... chuck another 180 at old tech plan-view nav and hope the lense doesn't fail for a 3rd time...or maybe consider the 180 as downpayment towards a hong-kong aftermarket installation and get 3d nav , mp3/divx player.
But if I can get the new lense working in my Alpine DVD for a fraction of the price, then I stick with that. Hence the query about whether anybody has dabbled with their DVD unit without involving Alpine

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page