2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Flip key ?

Other 
11K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  coolice 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried or though of trying the new honda Jazz flip key to make one for the civic?

this one:
Electronic device Technology Gadget
Product Electronic device Technology Key Subcompact car
Technology Electronic device Electronics Gadget

See less See more
#6 ·
I like and I want!
The civic key is huge! (the metal bit) compared with my old pug key that was tiny...

I think I saw somewhere todo this you need to re solder something in the key fob, like a sensor (I think)

#8 ·
I am not sure if it would because the buttons are in a slightly different place?

I bought one of the ones off eBay a while ago but wasn't impressed BUT I have just ordered another one that looks more like the Jazz one for £14.50 delivered from some guy whos email address was on here . . . possibly dodgy but its only £14.50 if it is lol.

Anyway here is a picture of the one I ordered.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/attach...0439d1210589036-wants-flip-key-photo-0037.jpg

#10 ·
I am not sure if it would because the buttons are in a slightly different place?

I bought one of the ones off eBay a while ago but wasn't impressed BUT I have just ordered another one that looks more like the Jazz one for £14.50 delivered from some guy whos email address was on here . . . possibly dodgy but its only £14.50 if it is lol.

Anyway here is a picture of the one I ordered.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/attach...0439d1210589036-wants-flip-key-photo-0037.jpg
where did you manage to buy the jazz one in the end I'm also looking for one like that? :)

#9 ·
Still cant believe that Honda gave the Civic an old style standard key, especially considering most other manufacturers were using flip keys way back in 2006. :rolleyes:
Yes it may be just a little thing....but there is a strong feeling among owners on this subject.
All these little things can add up to make a huge difference. ;)

#11 ·
I didn't receive the one that I thought I was going to but this one seems as good.

Going by a quick search the one I have looks like this one (obviously the silver buttons go where the holes are) there is a "Honda" logo at the bottom and a small metal hoop to put a keyring through once assembled.

Honda 2 Button Flip Key Case New Style Hot Item !!!! | eBay UK

Still seems a lot more solid than the one I bought before!

#12 ·
I have one like exactly like that with the silver buttons but have had difficulty as the silver buttons are of an equal diameter each; the honda one has one button smaller that the other. It makes the conversion more tricky than just swapping the remote circuit from one to another unfortunately.

#15 ·
Oh, I did look at that but presumed it would be easy enough to do :(

How did you get it to work in the end?

I will be sending mine to who ever does it on here after I get back from Greece in a couple of weeks, would be handy if I could tell them :)

#13 ·
Ive got an uncut one like the one in the picture. Was sent from pillar to post to get it cut but no luck! Oh well

#18 ·

Attachments

#19 ·
I've got the same. Modding isn't the problem, it's getting the damn thing cut! Timpsons told me it's company policy not to touch them but pointed me in the direction of a shop that will. How many people have had any luck? The key cutting hread is looking a bit old now

#20 ·
I got my old one cut locally so I'm gonna take the metal key part from the old case and replace the one in the new case, hopefully should be a fit, looks to be anyway.

Reactions: Joshim
#24 ·
cost me the same as a normal key about £5 or £6 if I remember right

i've been told by a auto locksmith that the transponders do not need to be soldered as they are not powered
i'm wondering if they are just held in place by the solder
He's right I think, but it depends on the key. Some keys I've seen have the transponder seperate to the button module inside the key case.

On ours however its soldered onto the board, what we need to do is move the ferrite transponder, here are a couple of photos of the offending component.

Attachments

#23 ·
i've been told by a auto locksmith that the transponders do not need to be soldered as they are not powered
i'm wondering if they are just held in place by the solder

#25 ·
No I dont think they do need power it is just for the remote. We use encoded transponder cards at work & they are not powered but the chip is connected to a coil that is used as an aerial. Just like the new contactless credit cards.

#26 ·
Hey.

I have a flip key all ready to go, with the electroic innards just requiring coding to my car. However I have wondered if it's possible that instead of removing the transponder and sodlering on flyleads, could some form of coil/aerial be added to extend it's range slightly?
This would save a lot of messing around and added worry desoldering from a PCB.

Ian

#27 ·
Interesting question :popcorn:

Desoldering the chip isn't too bad though, you just need to be patient. It's soldered either end plus it has a bit of glue on the underside to stick it to the pcb, so you have to heat it sufficiently to melt the glue also. Need to be careful though the ferrite chip is brittle and can snap.

#28 ·
Hey buddy.

Yeah its an easy job with basic soldering skills and knowing what to look out for. I've already desoldered mine ok as I'm confident soldering, but just need the key programming to my car as I brought this one from eBay to save butchering one of my actual keys :)

I was just think if we could add on an aerial it would save time and the worry of actually having to remove the chip.

Ian

#30 ·
#32 · (Edited)
Hi

Today i have recived flip key which was from my friend a he sold his civic and gave me his brand new flip key.

He told me thet his friend work in key service and to go and ask for his friend.

I was in key service and i give him link from forum to see thet i want to make my honda civic flip key.

When he looked at pictures from our forum and see thet must to use solder and to make work on honda key motherboard and to make longer wires he told me thet if i use longer wires it will be no more same key and thet moisture and water can damaged key in longer period of time.

Then he take my original key and my flip key ,cut flip key in 15 min and then he take spare new transponder( 60 euros with coding) and coded it.
New transponder is like fuse and he glued it in flip key on spare space inside it and just relocate all original from honda key without any work on original honda parts and now all working and i have two transponders one from honda and new one and all worked in just 5 min.

#34 ·
Hi

Laney

Thanks for your offer to me.

I found to cut key here and you must to have your car in key service because if it is not work they must to try on car to see what is wrong with cuting key.

Second i found thet new transponder is better then modification with board and transponder.

#36 · (Edited)
Can't see the attraction myself the standard key looks great
Flip keys are for vauxhalls lol
You are going to be in the minority there, because most Civic owners would prefer to have a flip key. Its not only about how it looks, but how much easier it fits in your pocket.

Most manufacturers supply standard flip keys, and have done for quite a few years, so i dont know why you seem to think they should be confined to just Vauxhalls. Even little Fiats have flip keys.
My Focus had a flip key 6 years ago, so was a real surprise to find out the latest hi-tech Civic had an old fashioned conventional key.

Shouldnt be a concern in the future though, because all cars will most likely become keyless entry and start.

#42 · (Edited)
Yes it is correct.

In Serbia is same situation, they dont want to cut china keys because metal blades are all different quality.

But you must to say to them magic word: Please cut it ,risk is mine:

If they know our type of honda keys it is ok but if they never cut our keys then go to some other key shop.

All my key shops said to me i will do my best,i know what to be done ,but china metal blades can make me problems but i said to them ok risk is mine if you know what you doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.