Phone Update on Hands Free Quality problem - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 298 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2006, 17:38 Thread Starter

Update on Hands Free Quality problem

Just a quick update to let you know about the latest from Honda regarding the problems with the EX HFT Hands Free implementation.

I called Honda Customer Services today and a very nice lady informed me that this was known problem and that she would like to take down my details and provide her with my experience of the problem, which I did.

I was then told that this issue had been referred to Honda Japan who have been asked to come up with a solution or work around to the issue.

As soon as it is resolved Honda will contact the dealers and anyone who has raised the issue with them to let them know the problem has a solution.

I hope Honda Japan come up with something soon as the phone is useless at the moment unless you are doing less than 30 mph.

Make sure if you have this issue that you call Honda Customer Car Relations on 01753 590 760. That way they will get more feedback and also let you know when it is fixed. Remember be nice they are trying to be helpful!

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 298 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2006, 18:05
Supporter

Cheers Parky, I'm going to ring them tomorrow. Honda Japan should look at the solution to the problem already posted on this website!
post #3 of 298 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2006, 18:12
Administrator

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Thanks Parky!

post #4 of 298 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2006, 19:20

I think that the woman I spoke to could really take lessons from your contact. She had absolutely no wish to listen to anything, just said go and see your dealer. Hence most of my aggrieved attitude.

I'll try again tomorrow.

What is really needed is an estimated fix date.
post #5 of 298 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2006, 19:44
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
If you're having problems with CS, please PM me.
post #6 of 298 (permalink) Old 3rd August 2006, 20:00

BG,

Thanks, I'll get back if I have any more problems. Hopefully it was a one-off on a bad day.
post #7 of 298 (permalink) Old 4th August 2006, 07:53
Smell My Cheese!

I think the issue has become more widely known, having spoken to them myself on Tuesday, it was clear that they were finally getting to the bottom of what was wrong and possible solutions, as daft as it sounds, perhaps no-one wanted to accept this as a fault until a potential fix was in the bag. They are also aware that some people have swapped sides with the microphone.

Its good to hear someone else has had a positive discussion with them, although my dealings were initially negative the conversation with them on Tuesday helped, I was aware of them looking at a fix, but was told this was Honda Europe, but if its the Japs then that can only be a better thing. I can't wait to get this sorted and be able to finally say there is nothing wrong with the car, except the smashed foglight and the stone chips.

Mind you I did read some where else on the interweb-net a post from a driver of a large German manufacturer who when complained about the HFT was told that its functionality was not in question, perhaps the owners expectations were too high, its therefore not our problem. You would expect more from the Germans.
post #8 of 298 (permalink) Old 4th August 2006, 09:02
您看了

I was thinking about this yesterday.

When you remove the panel covering the mike there is about an inch of clearence between the panel and the mike itself. So thats an inch further the sound has to travel. Ok, this sounds like nothing, but that inch of air is inside the roof space where background noise pollution will be far higher. I'm no pretty sure this gap has alot to do with the poor pickup on the mike.

I moved my mike over following Pottsy's instructions and sound quality didnt improve that much at all (although It did improve, so the instructions are good). I then popped the cover off and flipped the mike round (it is very directional it seems). Still not a huge improvement, but an improvement none the less. I then attached the mike to the removable roof panel right behind the newly drilled holes.

The difference is astounding, I can now make calls at normal speeds (30-40mph) and people cant even tell I'm moving. At motorway speeds (70+mph ) I can make and receive calls and I dont need to shout as background noise is still low enough to be no problem at all. In fact at motorway speeds I can voice dial without raising my voice and the car doesnt have to say pardon once. Pottsy has now added this tip to the "moving the mike" how to I beleive.

With this in mind maybe an official Honda fix will be either lowering the Microphone to the grille and inslulating around it. Or conecting some sort of sound deadening cone around the mike extending to the roof panel to form the same solution.

Those on this board with the power roof blinds might wanna try lowering their mike on the passenger side and taping it loosely to the roof panel? Follow pottsy's instructions to un clip the mike, but then just attach it to the panel covering the already drilled holes. I beleive this alone will make a huge difference to the sound quality.
post #9 of 298 (permalink) Old 4th August 2006, 09:47
Smell My Cheese!

I think I am gonna keep waiting and see what the techys come up with, although I am tempted to try and fix it. The more of us who attempt the fix themselves, then the fewer of us for Honda to gain any real info from.
post #10 of 298 (permalink) Old 4th August 2006, 09:51

And also the greater the risk of warranty problems.
post #11 of 298 (permalink) Old 4th August 2006, 12:59
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Maldax
By the time I get my EX I hope it will be all be fixed
post #12 of 298 (permalink) Old 6th August 2006, 17:15
Smell My Cheese!

Met a fellow Civic owner in the Homebase car park yesterday, we got chatting (I pointed him in this direction, of course), he has the i-VTEC EX, over the moon with the car, but has had to get a bluetooth earpiece to be able to use the phone.

He is also looking forward to any fix.
post #13 of 298 (permalink) Old 6th August 2006, 18:06

Basically, I think Honda was cutting corners, by leaving the mike in the "left hand drive" configuration. Perhaps they'll put another mike in the other side (is there room) ?. Just a thought.
post #14 of 298 (permalink) Old 7th August 2006, 12:51
Supporter

Phoned Honda Customer Relations today and explained the problem with the quality of the HFT on my Civic EX. Reply I got was that they had not heard of this problem before at all and had no reported instances. They said that that I should contact my dealer.
post #15 of 298 (permalink) Old 7th August 2006, 12:55
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside
Phoned Honda Customer Relations today and explained the problem with the quality of the HFT on my Civic EX. Reply I got was that they had not heard of this problem before at all and had no reported instances. They said that that I should contact my dealer.
This is not filling me with a nice warm feeling about Honda CS!
post #16 of 298 (permalink) Old 7th August 2006, 13:15
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartside
This is not filling me with a nice warm feeling about Honda CS!
It's just remiss. EVERYONE is having this problem, so making statements like that is frankly remarkable.

My advice would be to ring again and speak to someone else.
post #17 of 298 (permalink) Old 7th August 2006, 13:24
Smell My Cheese!

I received a call from Honda CS this afternoon, they are still going over the fix for the HFT on a preliminary solution, the factory are involved. They just wanted to call to let me know they have not forgotten. I am dealing with a lady who I think looks after corporate clients, as I got mine through a lease company, although I have spoken to a couple of people over the months on this, in fact when I called the last time I got the girl who I spoke to on the first occasion, remembered the call but couldn't help me as she doesn't deal with corporate customers.

It was also funny as I was in the car, apparantly it sounded fine at their end, typical . Mind you I was stationary
post #18 of 298 (permalink) Old 7th August 2006, 13:25

The second time I phoned Honda CS was altogether better. This time, the problem was acknowledged as a known one, my phone number was taken and I was promised a call as soon as a fix is available.

This is what I expect, rather than being sent away with a flea in my ear when I last contacted CS ( or as Sarah Turner of somewhere in Honda put it after missing the point completely "I am sorry to hear you feel that you were getting a flea in your car." )
post #19 of 298 (permalink) Old 7th August 2006, 13:54
Supporter

What we should all do is find a nice dual carriageway with a lay by at both ends and phone from the car in one lay by then drive to the otherone and see if they can hear you!
post #20 of 298 (permalink) Old 9th August 2006, 17:00
Smell My Cheese!

Had an email from Honda CS yesterday afternoon, to get the make and network of phone that I am using and getting issues with, looks like things are still moving.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page