Voice recog very simple sat nav/voice questions from a newbie - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th June 2011, 13:54 Thread Starter
Supporter

very simple sat nav/voice questions from a newbie

hi all, picked up my 56 plate civic on friday and I think I'm in love...

a couple of niggling problems. I read that there is a button on the dash to turn the sat nav screen off... where is this button?! I've tried everything! The only way I can get the car to drive along with a black screen is if I let it time out after turning the engine on and not push the center button to power it up again..

Also I accidentally used the voice activation to turn aircon on.. is there anything else non phone/sat nav related that I can use the voice activation for?

Finally when traffic announcements kick in (if set up) is the only way to cancel it and return to your previous audio source by pushing the TA button on the radio front or is there any way of doing it from the steering wheel?

I just wish I had a USB port on my radio somewhere for my phone... Unless I'm just missing it, it doesnt have one, which given the other technological gadgetry that is dotted around was quite surprising.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th June 2011, 14:06
Supporter

Car: 2009 2.2 Type-S GT-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod19 View Post
hi all, picked up my 56 plate civic on friday and I think I'm in love...

a couple of niggling problems. I read that there is a button on the dash to turn the sat nav screen off... where is this button?! I've tried everything! The only way I can get the car to drive along with a black screen is if I let it time out after turning the engine on and not push the center button to power it up again..

Also I accidentally used the voice activation to turn aircon on.. is there anything else non phone/sat nav related that I can use the voice activation for?

Finally when traffic announcements kick in (if set up) is the only way to cancel it and return to your previous audio source by pushing the TA button on the radio front or is there any way of doing it from the steering wheel?

I just wish I had a USB port on my radio somewhere for my phone... Unless I'm just missing it, it doesnt have one, which given the other technological gadgetry that is dotted around was quite surprising.

Many thanks

Hi,

The satnav screen can be switched off by pressing the half moon sign to the left hand side of the jog wheel, it changes the mode from night to day colours and also pressing it a third time switches the screen off.
If you have a usb port it will be in the arm rest pocket, along with aux socket too.
The voice activation has loads of functions, it can read the time, change radio to cd, all the functions are shown in the instruction manual....
As far as TA i think if you channel up on the steering wheel it may change back to previous station, but i'm not entirely sure on that one as i don't tend to use the TA.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th June 2011, 14:13
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
56 plate doesn't have an Aux-In \ USB port - only fitted from 2009 models on ...

You can however install an aftermarket unit (several makes available) that connect to a port at the back of the HU ...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th June 2011, 14:16 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

thanks so much for the prompt replies guys. buttonmoon, sorry I admit i was a bit lazy there. Although i did flick through the manual I didnt specifically look for the voice commands. Will do that tonight.

I had a feeling it was the day night button but I couldnt get it to work, I tried dimming it right down to off but that didnt work - didnt think of pushing it a third time! Thanks a lot.

J. Derek Riddell, do you know of anything whereby I'd be able to charge a USB phone as well as play it through the stereo, or do the aftermarket kits you mention only play and not charge? I dont want to replace the head unit for a different one and the guy in a local car audio shop said this was the only way to do this on a civic but that didnt sound right...

my old parrot bluetooth had a USB and iPhone (handy if I switch back) socket on it which charged and played. However I dont want to get that as I'd be doubling up on the bluetooth which will be a waste.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th June 2011, 16:33
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)

Car: 2007 1.8 'Executive' (EX)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 831 Posts
I not sure if all the aftermarket units (those with USB connectors) charge at the same time as playing back, although I'd be surprised if they don't ...

However, it is possible that the 'phone won't do both via a "microUSB" (or "miniUSB'") socket, at the same time ? ...

Check out the websites of suppliers like DICE \ Dension \ XcarLink \ Connect2us for technical details and specs. ...

No need to change the HU whatsoever - these aftermarket units plug into the back of the 'CD changer' port in the HU, and whichever unit you use, it "pretends" it's a CD changer ...

Lots of people have done this - and as you have a SatNav model, you can go one further and install the kit from [Bog] & [MrBozo] as well, and end up with a rear parking camera and the ability to play movies on the SatNav screen ! ..

Last edited by J. Derek Riddell; 6th June 2011 at 16:36.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th June 2011, 16:45 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

hmm I have aftermarket rear parkin sensors displayed with lights (no beeping) above the rear view mirror so I'm not sure thats worth it, although I have heard its great.

Having said that one of the parking sensors is playing up and thinks its permanently up against a brick wall so it might be a good idea actually..

I just had a long chat with one of the guys at carputer-shop about this sort of thing and it seems that it will not charge the phone via the USB socket. They said the only way they could think of would be by using the bluetooth adapter to transmit music but that wastes the factory fitted BT plus it wont use the hang up and call buttons on the steering wheel.

I've just read loads of threads on here about this sort of thing but they ALL refer to iPhones!

There must exist something that lets me charge and play music... if I can use the steering wheel controls thats a bonus but not essential...

the search continues
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th June 2011, 18:44 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonmoon View Post
As far as TA i think if you channel up on the steering wheel it may change back to previous station, but i'm not entirely sure on that one as i don't tend to use the TA.
unfortunately this doesnt do anything. I've just got used to pushing Source on the wheel 4 times to cycle back to FM1.

Anyone got any other ideas?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 6th June 2011, 23:13
shameless

Car: 2007 Spaceship with i-shift
switch ta off?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 7th June 2011, 10:09 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Gallagher View Post
switch ta off?
turning it off and on again involves reaching to the head unit thats why I wanted to know if there was a way using the steering wheel

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page