2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Fuel gauge and range leaves us puzzled

Computer 
3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Orange 
#1 ·
Put in a tenner today at the local pump. Made no difference at all to the car. For some reason the range was still 30 miles and the needle seemed more than happy to keep its place at the bottom.

We put in 7.67 litres, surely that would make a difference?
Even drove for about 5 miles at speeds between 20-50mph, reset the trip computers. Engine on and off a few times, checked the filler cap was on tightly.

Then.. The fuel light. Apparently, this has happened a few times before.

Any thoughts? :confused:

#7 ·
plus the range to empty is calculated by how the car HAS been driven,

if i've caned mine, the range is less after i fill up, but if steady driving :facepalm: has taken place before filling up the range will show more miles if you understand....

#9 ·
£10 fuel at 1.35 per litre gives you just over 7 ltrs. The warning light comes on when there is 7.5 litres in the tank so I'm pretty sure it comes down to how far you've gone with the light on and, as others have said, how the car has been driven in the previous miles to calculate the previous range figures.

There are days when my car registers as having a range of 9 miles and within a 3 mile journey its down to 0, yet this week, on monday my car stated 35 miles yet here we are on thursday, having done 4 lots of 6 miles and a journey of about 15 and the car is still showing a range of 7. I know full well, if I put a £10 in it will hardly make any difference to the range at all though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.