AC/Heater Climate control question - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2007, 19:23 Thread Starter
Supporter

Climate control question

This may be a daft question so sorry in advance, the civic is my 1st car with climate control. I thought that when AUTO was not shown in the display that it was in full manual mode i.e. AC off etc. I noticed today that the car was chucking out some very cold air, AUTO was not showing on the display and if I press climate to bring the options up on the nav screen no sign of AC on or off, just blank in that section (like it is after pressing the off button). I pressed the AC button a couple of times until is showed AC off and the cold air stopped. On checking the manual when in auto mode pressing any of the heating controls changes that selection but everything else stays on auto, the auto sign on the display goes out but it is still running in a type of semi auto mode . So the air con still cuts in when needed, not an issue apart from I have been driving around thinking my air con was off. so my question is when in AUTO mode how can I tell when the system is using air con, the display is blank and I would like to be able to tell when it is cutting in etc.? I am used to a light or something being on with only ever having a manual system before. I can of course turn the air con on and off but I would like to know when the system is using it in auto mode.

As mentioned sorry if this is a stupid question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2007, 19:29
Banned

I don't know about the technical bits, but all I do is select auto -- select the temperature you want, and leave it to its own devices. It'll run all day, just maintaining the temp. you've selected, with just a waft of either cool or warm air as required.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2007, 20:09

Not sure as to why you'd want to know everytime the A/C cuts in and out etc.

I just leave mine on Auto and forget it about... doesn't seem to make any difference to consumption - and this way, its not sitting stagnant and unused!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2007, 20:25
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
If press AC once the is off, if you press it again it re-appears on the pop bar on the Nav display and is on!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2007, 23:47

climate control

I leave it on auto all the time and set the temperature to suit. The only time I overide it is for demist/defrost. I cannot see the point of fiddling around with it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2007, 23:51
Supporter

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Candle, Auto mode will try and keep the aircon on as much as possible. Turning it off manually is not a good thing, because it will shorten the life of the system, it will make the car more humid and of course the system cannot cool the car when needed. The aircon uses a negligible amount of fuel (many other factors will have a much bigger impact), so the best strategy is to press Auto and forget.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 22nd May 2007, 23:58
Vivid Blue Rocks!!!

Car: Suzuki Swift Sport
Don't worry about thinking it's a daft question. The AC system on the Civic has a slightly odd setup if you want to use anything other than Auto.

The AC is running if the display is blank or says A/C On and I think that the AC is running most if the time when the setting is in Auto.

I tend to use the 'semi-auto' system, where you can specify whether the AC is on or off, which vents you want to use, whether you want the air recirculated and the temp you want. This works fine without the AC on, and is OK for all but the warmest days in the UK.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2007, 02:18
Supporter

Car: 2010 Mazda 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by candle View Post
On checking the manual when in auto mode pressing any of the heating controls changes that selection but everything else stays on auto, the auto sign on the display goes out but it is still running in a type of semi auto mode .
You've got some answers already. Just wanted to add if you press the recycle button, the auto sign goes out. At least on my sport. Everything is in auto, except for the recycle function I suppose...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2007, 07:54
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Yes it does blow very cold air if it needs to.

The trick is to angle each of the vents away from yourself or passengers, otherwise you get the full blast of cold air yourself which gives the impression it is overdoing it - but it isn't.

I've got the central vents pointing centre and quite high.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2007, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
Yes it does blow very cold air if it needs to.

The trick is to angle each of the vents away from yourself or passengers, otherwise you get the full blast of cold air yourself which gives the impression it is overdoing it - but it isn't.

I've got the central vents pointing centre and quite high.
Doesn't that affect the HFT? The manual tells you not to point vents anywhere near the microphone if you want it to work well?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 23rd May 2007, 14:28
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
Mine aren't pointed as far North as they can go but a little lower and the HFT is fine.

Originally the centre vents were set at their lowest position and I could feel the icy blast along my side, especially along the upper leg area. Also, if I did a Steve McQueen and leaned left and flopped my left arm onto the centre armrest that also suffered from the icy blast.

I think the issue may arise if the car is a regulo 8 and the fan is giving it large to compensate.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page