Phone does anyone here use a parrot kit with an android phone? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 20th June 2011, 22:05 Thread Starter
Supporter

does anyone here use a parrot kit with an android phone?

hi all I have just got a new phone (samsung galaxy s2) and was suprised when it paired with the factory bluetooth in my 56 plate EX.

However I now love using the voice search, voice text, etc functions of the phone, but when I'm paired in the car and I push the voice button the mic input is blank. This means it is not picking up from the handset mic and also not from the bluetooth mic.

If I were to upgrade to a parrot does anyone know if the voice feature specific to the phone would now work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 20th June 2011, 22:19

Car: 08/2008 5door Exclusive, NHB
I never have used these features but I will try tomorrow and report back
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 22nd June 2011, 16:05 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 24th June 2011, 12:39 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

did you get a chance to check this?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 30th June 2011, 23:38

I`m using a HTC Desire (Android 2.2) in combination with a Parrot CK3100 and Multicomm.
Works perfect without any problems...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 1st July 2011, 22:31 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Did you happen to specifically check the voice to text through the parrot?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 1st July 2011, 22:39

aw damn sorry mate I totally forgot about this I'll try to remember tomorrow, sorry again
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2011, 09:41 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

would really love it if you get a chance, I'd like to get this ordered this weekend for my birthday next week if it does the job.

thanks a lot
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2011, 12:29

hi mate so as I promised I checked it out, I can confirm it works in my mki9200. The details are as follows:
in main menu entry #2 Phone there is an array of options, scroll down to voice commands, you will have the option to choose which controls to use, handsfree kit or phone.
By selecting phone, pressing twice the MODE key on your steering wheel or the green phone button on the dedicated mki remote will activate the phone's voice commands. Your speech will be processed by the kit's microphone.
A couple niggles/quirks/bugs:
- if you start text to speech on your phone (like tapping Speak Destination in Car Home app), you will NOT be able to route the voice through the mki's mic
- my phone did not manage to properly recognise one single command, but that's most likely an issue with my phone rather than everything else.

should you need anything else feel free to PM (you don't want me to forget about it again do you )
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2011, 16:48 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

thank you so much, just going to ask you to clarify a few bits if you don'd mind. Thought best to do it on here instead of PM in case others have the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillerkiller View Post
in main menu entry #2 Phone there is an array of options, scroll down to voice commands, you will have the option to choose which controls to use, handsfree kit or phone.
Ok so here you mean the parrot menu, not the phone? A simple option to choose parrot mic or phone mic is exactly what I need.

Quote:
By selecting phone, pressing twice the MODE key on your steering wheel or the green phone button on the dedicated mki remote will activate the phone's voice commands.
So even without the parrot unika you get some functionality of the steering wheel controls, but I take it you cant answer or hang up calls using the steering wheel buttons?

Quote:
A couple niggles/quirks/bugs:
- if you start text to speech on your phone (like tapping Speak Destination in Car Home app), you will NOT be able to route the voice through the mki's mic
I'm not sure what you mean by car home app, is that the screen that loads and says "what would you like to do?" - I'm not sure if your phone would work in exactly the same way as me.

One key question from me - if you were to (on the phone) push new text message and then push the mic button on the bottom right of the keyboard which enables speech to text, can you then speak (via the parrot) so that the phone understands and translates into a text?

Quote:
my phone did not manage to properly recognise one single command, but that's most likely an issue with my phone rather than everything else.
this worries me big time as it obviously means the system is not doing what I want it to do. These commands that it didnt get right were they car commands (like 'how long to the destination' whilst talking to the sat nav) or were they phone commands (like 'send text message to mum')

Hopefully that makes sense...?

again, I really appreciate your help.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2011, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod19 View Post
Ok so here you mean the parrot menu, not the phone? A simple option to choose parrot mic or phone mic is exactly what I need.
yeah exactly the parrot menu.

Quote:
So even without the parrot unika you get some functionality of the steering wheel controls, but I take it you cant answer or hang up calls using the steering wheel buttons?
no sorry, I actually have the Unika kit so I can use steering wheel controls. without the unika your steering wheel will be completely dead to the MKI. The included parrot remote control gets the job done but I would highly recommend the Unika.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by car home app, is that the screen that loads and says "what would you like to do?" - I'm not sure if your phone would work in exactly the same way as me.
well the car home app is just a simple "launcher" that google put together optimized for driving in car. (HERE android market link, it's a nice piece of software, give it a try!)

Quote:
One key question from me - if you were to (on the phone) push new text message and then push the mic button on the bottom right of the keyboard which enables speech to text, can you then speak (via the parrot) so that the phone understands and translates into a text?
that's what I was trying to explain with the "car home" example exactly. No it won't you can use the parrot mic ONLY if you start voice recognition via the kit.

Quote:
this worries me big time as it obviously means the system is not doing what I want it to do. These commands that it didnt get right were they car commands (like 'how long to the destination' whilst talking to the sat nav) or were they phone commands (like 'send text message to mum')
Quite frankly I tried to throw at it all kinds of commands. from a simple "call mom" to "open calendar" to "navigate to <weird italian city name here>" but it did not seem to comprehend a damn of what I was saying.
It has to be said though, if voice recognition works for you, chances are it will work when connected to the parrot as well. right now in this very moment, sitting in front of the PC in my room, I am trying to use voice commands and yet they don't work at all, no cars nor parrots involved...

Quote:
again, I really appreciate your help.
np mate I'll send your invoice as soon as we're done
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2011, 19:34 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Right, thats all clear. I've final question, what can you do with voice recognition via the kit? Would that basically just be voice dialling only?

Would the existing voice commands like "go home" with the sat nav not work if you replace the honda factory bluetooth with the parrot?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2nd July 2011, 20:21 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Oh and how do you navigate lists and folders of music if you have the unika?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 4th July 2011, 11:55

basically it's just voice calling. the "go home" thingy would not work as the kit has no sat nav options. I can say it works pretty well this.
if you have the unika you will have to press a combination of keys (its ch+ ch- ch+ ch- to get into the menu but my car has no sat nav so this may vary) and browsing through the menu works basically the same (ch+ or ch- for scrolling menu, MODE key to confirm choice, longpress MODE to return back).
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 4th July 2011, 20:48 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Ive been told now that the mki9200 is pretty slow to navigate folders. Whats your experience? I'm now considering a mki9000 and use streaming bluetooth audio but in my wifes car the 9000 has been quite troublesome
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th July 2011, 09:11

depends on what you use for streaming music. i bought the kit for the very same reason and I'm doing absolutely fine but I use an iPod and not the USB. I tried usb once and it actually was quite slow (16GB full of songs though). This is a common problem with usb anyway. Now I don't know how many GB of stuff you are going to have on your car, but with like €100 you can buy an used 60-80GB iPod classic, fill it up with music, throw it in your armrest and forget about it (those things are rock solid). With iPod navigation and playback are absolutely butter smooth.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th July 2011, 13:31 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

ah i see. So you still use the kit (or the wheel controls with unika) to control the ipod? I thought you'd have to use the ipod interface manually
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 5th July 2011, 23:27

nay! ipod control works flawlessly with steering wheel commands / parrot remote. you can also control bluetooth audio streaming from, say, your phone! comes quite handy when I forget the ipod at home
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 7th July 2011, 22:15 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

Ok now the dealbreaker, would it keep your ipod charged as I couldnt be bothered to keep taking it in and charging it.

I suppose this would only apply to parrot kits with the screen wouldn't it?
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 8th July 2011, 09:25

sure the ipod charges when connected to its port.
cant answer on the screen thingy tho. I would assume the difference between all kits is just the screen itself but then again controlling an iPod (or just whatever else) without a screen sounds just too much awkward..

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page