Add-on nav Which combi SatNav? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2007, 05:26 Thread Starter

Which combi SatNav?

I'm looking for a satnav with speed camera detection. Which of the following is best:

Snooper Indago
TomTom Go 510/710/910
Road Angel 7000
Talex 7000T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2007, 10:05

I've got the TomTom 510 and I think that it's really good, in fact, I'd go as far as saying it's better than the one fitted in my EX.

You could go to Google and look for some reviews. Just type in... review and then the model you want to look at.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2nd June 2007, 15:08
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
I would consider seriously the Garmin Nüvi series (310 or 660) The 660 series (the one I own) have yet a Fm transmitter included and have one of the best radiotraffic system on the market. Good nav system also, best screen so far, easy to put in your pocket, the only minus is the navigation points, you can only have one intermediate point and you cannot pre-plan your trip on the computer. But do you need that ?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 3rd June 2007, 07:25 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

I don't really like the silver/chrome finish on the Garmin nuvi satnav's, and they are too rectangular. Well, similar argument rules out the Talex.

Had a look on the tomtom website. Really liked their comprehensive PLUS services. Not too keen on the satnav's though.

I think I might go for the Indago. It looks very stylish and has very nice visuals.

BTW, anyone using the Road Angel Navigator 9000? It has live updates and can be doubled up as a tracking system for £120 pa.

Last edited by prawncracker; 3rd June 2007 at 07:34.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 6th June 2007, 19:49
pjr
Supporter

Car: Mk VII Golf GTI
Eco display
As a long time TomTom user, and a current Go 510 owner I'm quite happy with the features that the Go provides.

I can use it as a handsfree for my phone, and I am a subscriber to the Pocketgpsworld speed camera database which give me the camera detection that I need.

The TomTom is also available with alternative fascias if you don't like the standard silver one. I've replace mine with a piano black surround, so I get less reflections in the windscreen.

And, unless I'm going on a really long drive, the TomTom will run off its battery, which means no cables trailing.

Not sure about the others, but there is maybe more customising available for the TomTom - with different voices & colour schemes etc.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 6th June 2007, 19:52
Banned

Does anyone know anything about www.microfusion.co.uk They have a detection gadget for £99.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 7th June 2007, 06:08 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr View Post
As a long time TomTom user, and a current Go 510 owner I'm quite happy with the features that the Go provides.

I can use it as a handsfree for my phone, and I am a subscriber to the Pocketgpsworld speed camera database which give me the camera detection that I need.

The TomTom is also available with alternative fascias if you don't like the standard silver one. I've replace mine with a piano black surround, so I get less reflections in the windscreen.

And, unless I'm going on a really long drive, the TomTom will run off its battery, which means no cables trailing.

Not sure about the others, but there is maybe more customising available for the TomTom - with different voices & colour schemes etc.
How does the TomTom warn you when you approach a speed camera. Does it have a prompt like the Indago, with distance to the camera shown, ie (see pic in middle of page):

http://www.nav-now.co.uk/product.php?fdProductId=146

The GO wouldn't be too bad if it weren't too bulky. The ONE is much slimmer, but it also has half the RAM and a slower processor. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the GO
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 7th June 2007, 07:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by l-noel View Post
I would consider seriously the Garmin Nüvi series (310 or 660) The 660 series (the one I own)
Can you download routes made on the PC to the 660?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 7th June 2007, 08:41
Wine and cooking !

Car: 2008, Grey Mica 1.5 Materia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHGH View Post
Can you download routes made on the PC to the 660?

No, and it's a shame, but you can plan your trip by adding waypoints directly in the nüvi.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 7th June 2007, 09:26
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prawncracker View Post
How does the TomTom warn you when you approach a speed camera. Does it have a prompt
I have the HP rx5935 which comes preinstalled with TomTom 6. I've set the speed camera warning so that you get a visual (with countdown) and audio warning as you approach the camera.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 7th June 2007, 09:33
pjr
Supporter

Car: Mk VII Golf GTI
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by prawncracker View Post
How does the TomTom warn you when you approach a speed camera. Does it have a prompt like the Indago, with distance to the camera shown, ie (see pic in middle of page):

The GO wouldn't be too bad if it weren't too bulky. The ONE is much slimmer, but it also has half the RAM and a slower processor. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the GO
Something pretty similar to that on the Indago - A flashing icon in the top left of the screen, specific to either mobile, gatso, specs etc, with the speed shown on the icon (70,60,50 etc). The distance counts down in yards as you approach the camera.
I have also set up voice alerts so that I get a spoken warning, something like - 'Gatso Ahead - Speed Limit 70 Miles Per Hour'.

The warning alerts are configurable in terms of how far from the camera in yards you want to be warned.

One reason I went for the Go rather than the One, was that I don't think the one has bluetooth handsfree calling?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 7th June 2007, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by l-noel View Post
No, and it's a shame, but you can plan your trip by adding waypoints directly in the nüvi.
I was afraid of this - I know some of the Nüvis with narrow screen (300 series) has this feature.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 7th June 2007, 12:24

I have bought the Navman F20 - very good reviews. Has a speed camera database, but doesn't have speed camera direction.
As a budget satnav, I would recommend it. £114 delivered via Amazon.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page