Battery Honda say its normal for battery to go flat if driven once a week - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th September 2011, 12:14 Thread Starter

Honda say its normal for battery to go flat if driven once a week

Honda say its normal for battery to go flat if driven once a week.

I was a bit surprised with this response from my local dealer. Oh well, I'm still going to get the car checked out.

It apparently doesn't need the fusebox mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th September 2011, 12:21
...............Daedalus

Car: CW Type R No. 460
As long as the once a week drive is quite a long journey the battery should be fine.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th September 2011, 12:21
Supporter

Car: 09 Suzuki Swift Sport white
Thanked 2,783 Times in 2,531 Posts
it would be but over a long period of time

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th September 2011, 12:34 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Thanks for the replies guys.

I drive it about 30 miles (Sunday driver).
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th September 2011, 13:20
Dervinator

Car: 2007 iCDTI 2.2, Milano red
This is actually quite worrying as my car spends all the week in my garage and comes out friday for the shopping trip. I leave the car unlocked (but in a locked garage) so as to leave the alarm deactivated so it aint pulling juice.

Why only use the car Fridays ?

Well, I'm a nightshift worker - Sunday eve to Thurs eve and my workplace is only about 4 miles away....

I have an electric pushbike and my boss lets me charge it at work !!

I will have to keep an eye on it.

does the radio have a code if i ever have to disconnect to charge ?
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th September 2011, 13:46
Supporter

Car: '09 f/l 1.4
My civic is 2 years and 3 months old,have left it for 18 days (due to holidays) with alarm activated and when I returned,it started just fine,no problems at all.I have no problems with my battery even if I leave it for more than 10 days at the garage.Last service test shows that battery's condition is at 76%.
It certainly isn't normal if battery goes flat every week that the car is not being used,sounds weird,maybe a new battery?
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th September 2011, 14:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Bought a new super-duper high capacity Bosch battery about 6 months ago.

Strange. Love the car otherwise (when I use it!).
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th September 2011, 14:24
Supporter

Car: BMW Z4MC
Send a message via MSN to tombomb Send a message via Skype™ to tombomb
Mine was going flat very quickly, I took it to the dealer and there was a fix out for the fuse box that they did on my car. No problems since.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th September 2011, 14:48
Supporter

Once a week?
I don't use my CTR for weeks on end and (so far) the battery has never gone flat. I try and take the car out once a month or so but rarely need it as the public transport here is so good.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th September 2011, 15:59
Supporter

Car: 2009 CW CTR
Mine was going flat if left for a day lol or after 4 hours if i left stereo and heating on when i switched the car off. When you remove the key the car should go into sleep mode and the drain should reduce to 0.02 amps (ie for alarm, clock etc) sounds like your car isn't reducing to this rate when switching your car off. To fix mine it had new battery and new software loaded on the ecu to put the car into sleep mode and has been fine since. If it isn't that then it may need the new fuse box fitting, I raised it with honda UK and got it done free of charge under warranty. This problem is only supposed to affect 2008 cars, mine is 2009 so looks to be a bigger problem than honda UK thought.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 5th September 2011, 16:34

Car: 2010 1.4 type S, Silver
When I bought my 60 reg CTS there was a supplementary note with the manual that states the battery will go flat if the car is left for 3 weeks.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 11th September 2011, 11:56
OMG8THGENEX

Car: 2007 1.8 Civic EX
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
Mine was going flat if left for a day lol or after 4 hours if i left stereo and heating on when i switched the car off. When you remove the key the car should go into sleep mode and the drain should reduce to 0.02 amps (ie for alarm, clock etc) sounds like your car isn't reducing to this rate when switching your car off. To fix mine it had new battery and new software loaded on the ecu to put the car into sleep mode and has been fine since. If it isn't that then it may need the new fuse box fitting, I raised it with honda UK and got it done free of charge under warranty. This problem is only supposed to affect 2008 cars, mine is 2009 so looks to be a bigger problem than honda UK thought.
Could this effect my 2007 EX (1.8)? I had the radio on (with engine off) for an hour and a half yesterday to find that this completely flattened the battery? Had to bump it off! I'm not sure as to whether this is normal however, I did suffer a flat last year in the winter months with the heavy snow so things are starting to niggle at the back of my mind.
The battery is 4-5 year old (OEM) so perhaps it's just time for a new one?
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 11th September 2011, 12:33
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
Could this effect my 2007 EX (1.8)? I had the radio on (with engine off) for an hour and a half yesterday to find that this completely flattened the battery? Had to bump it off! I'm not sure as to whether this is normal however, I did suffer a flat last year in the winter months with the heavy snow so things are starting to niggle at the back of my mind.
The battery is 4-5 year old (OEM) so perhaps it's just time for a new one?
If you have stereo playing with engine off and your battery is old then it's quite possible for it go flat as the petrol version don't have a big battery like a diesel. When AA come out to me they didn't recommend having stereo on while engine was off for more than 20 mins due to the small battery.

My problem was if I had the stereo and heating on and switched the engine off everything looked to be off but the ecu weren't going into sleep mode therefore thinking stereo and heating was being used even though it weren't on. Since had new firmware on ecu not had the problem, plus had a new Honda battery fitted as previous one looked to be a none genuine one.

I'd try a new battery and get either auto electrician check to see if there is a battery drain on your vehicle and your alternator is charging battery ok (can by tools to do this yourself to save money), if there is then I'd go Honda see if yours needs new firmware or the fusebox replacing, but by sounds of it I'd say the battery is on last legs and having stereo on for a while without engine running.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 11th September 2011, 13:19
everythings upsy daisy.

Car: 08 silver CTR
The battery should not go flat after a week of not driving,

What would happen if you left the car at an airport car park for a two week holiday... call the AA EVERY time?? I have left mine several times for over 2 weeks and never had a problem....

Alan
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 11th September 2011, 13:47
OMG8THGENEX

I can't get to the bottom of my problem... Tested it this morning and it's giving 12.5v... started the car and it gives 14.7v within seconds, therefore the battery appears to be fine. Issue is that when I switch the radio on it's flat as hell after only an hour or so. Obviously the radio will drain it, but should it really be so fast? I would have thought that it would barely make a dent in the batteries power even after a few hours?!
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 11th September 2011, 15:24
Arfurs right hand man

Car: 1.8 Civic SE plus Auto 9th G
Garage
Quote:
I can't get to the bottom of my problem... Tested it this morning and it's giving 12.5v... started the car and it gives 14.7v within seconds, therefore the battery appears to be fine. Issue is that when I switch the radio on it's flat as hell after only an hour or so. Obviously the radio will drain it, but should it really be so fast? I would have thought that it would barely make a dent in the batteries power even after a few hours?!
you run the radio for an hour (i take it without the engine) and you wonder why the battery is dead??
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 11th September 2011, 16:00
Supporter

Cool

Quote:
Have you checked for a drain? From info given like you say battery and alternator seems spot on. I see your car has satnav built in? If so I bet this will use more power than a civic without it. Try putting everything on in the car while engine is running, then switch the car off by the ignition and lock the car. Then go back to the car about 8 hours later or over night and if it starts I'd say you haven't got a drain so def haven't got the same fault as mine. Then it just points to the fact that the battery is that small and you shouldn't run the stereo with the engine off.

You could fit a high amp battery to the car if it will fit on the battery tray, if you really need to play stereo without the engine running
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 11th September 2011, 17:14

Quote:
I've just checked my car and the voltages are very similar to yours. The engine had been stopped for about 4 hours.

How long had your engine been stopped before you checked the battery voltage? This would give some indication of how good the battery is and any potential drain.

I would not expect a battery to run flat in a hour with the radio running, despite what NH Dan says, unless you had most of the electrics switched on.

According to my manual the smallest battery fitted is 28 A-hr. This means that the battery can deliver 28 A for one hour and then it is flat.

The information you have supplied so far suggests the the battery may not be holding a charge. This would result in a normal no load voltage but little capacity to power loads without the engine running and is one of the symptons of an old battery nearing the end of its life.

I suggest you carry out the following checks:

1. the battery voltage with everything switched off.
2. switch on radio with key in first position and check battery voltage immediately.
3. keep checking voltage and see how quickly it drops.

A rapid drop in voltage will suggest a battery not holding its charge.

Last edited by dodger; 11th September 2011 at 17:17. Reason: para missed out
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 12th September 2011, 12:14
OMG8THGENEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Dan View Post
you run the radio for an hour (i take it without the engine) and you wonder why the battery is dead??
Don't worry about it NH Dan, I wasn't asking for sarcasm and it's only natural for a Dealer to be a little on the defensive side. I ran the radio for just over an hour as did around a hundred other cars because I was at a 'Drive in Movie'.... At the end of the movie, every single car started up and drove away except me, so yes; I do wonder why the battery went dead being the only car out of 100 that didn't start?

@Leigh & @dodger...

When I ran the basic voltage tests the car had been standing overnight (around 8 hours). I tried to carry out a test to see how fast the battery was being drained with the radio on and the engine off but unfortunately ran out of time. I'll carry out another drainage test over the next couple of days and post the results.
I'm getting the itch to call out and buy a new Bosch S4 battery as recommended by most however, i'd just like to be certain that there isn't a permanent drain before pointing my finger at the battery.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 12th September 2011, 13:06

I've used my radio when parked for at least an hour with no problems, but the battery is only a year old and the engine still warm when I restarted.

4-5 years is a good age for a battery and the capacity will be lower at this time than when new.

If the radio test doesn't show anything go to a good battery supplier and get them to voltdrop test it. This will show any capacity problems.

In my opinion you can only buy a good quaility battery and use the highest capacity that will fit. Also pay attention to the cold cranking current as this gives a better cranking speed.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page