Phone HFT on a 2007 model - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th June 2007, 14:35 Thread Starter

HFT on a 2007 model

Afternoon Folks

I'm picking up my NHB 2007 EX tomorrow at 2:30pm(wooohooo) and wanted to know if this problem is in just 06 models or all civics with HFT

http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.ph...hone_too_quiet

Is there a definitive way to check before i drive off in to the sunset and the stealer tells me it is just me/my phone.

thanks in advance

robbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th June 2007, 14:40

i would hope the fix was fitted to all new cars. i have a 2006 model that now works flawlessly since the mod was done. even if you find it doesn't work well they should sort it out for you within 30minutes.. if you have a good dealer
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th June 2007, 14:41
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
The HFT on my 07 model still needed additional foam to cover the gap between the mic and the grill.

It's an easy job though once you have located a suitable piece of foam.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th June 2007, 14:48 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Wow that was quick. thanks for the reply's.

I'll have a chat with the stealer and ask if it's not right can i bring it back as a matter of urgency to be fixed.

This will be discussed before the cash exchanges hands.

Robbie
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th June 2007, 15:33
Administrator

The dealer will only check and/or apply the official fix which doesn't work properly (IMHO).

All you need is a bit of thin foam (about 1cm thick) then cut it out to shape so that the mic is surrounded and it cannot pick up the noise from inside the HU unit.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th June 2007, 16:48

My stealer actually said that the HFT was working as best it could and that the 'fix' didn't work!

Needless to say Millie doesn't communicate well on the move.

All my calls are made when stationery.

Don't know many people so that helps!

"The last funeral I went to had people there I wouldn't want over my dead body!"
Charles H.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th June 2007, 17:04 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Charles H by the amount of posts on this forum i think your phone book could be full.

I'm v. intrested in the power mirrors idea so get those wine glasses away for the weekend and if you managed i'll send you a lovel Rioja.

robbie
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th June 2007, 17:56

More often than not, I call out a phone number to the HFT like, 01268.... and it then replies, "#17" Or something similar. It's very annoying. The mod has been done but it's has made no difference at all.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th June 2007, 19:14

but why (tongue very in cheek) would you want to call a Basildon/Wickford number anyway??
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th June 2007, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoworth View Post
Charles H by the amount of posts on this forum i think your phone book could be full.

I'm v. intrested in the power mirrors idea so get those wine glasses away for the weekend and if you managed i'll send you a lovel Rioja.

robbie
Crianza 2003?

"Common sense is not so common nowadays!"

Charles H.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 14th June 2007, 22:34

If you are still having poor HFT performance, try the DIY mod with the "draught excluder tape" as described in the HOW TO section. It does make a big difference. I had almost given up on my HFT before I tried it.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 15th June 2007, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_Harding View Post
Crianza 2003?

"Common sense is not so common nowadays!"

Charles H.
Better with a Valpolicella Ripasso.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 15th June 2007, 01:08

I had the foam fix put in at its first service last December. It improved it, but it was far from acceptable. Anything other than short calls weren't really possible.

There is a later fix (I don't know what), which I had done at the second service over the last two days. The difference is amazing. The phone HFT is now really good. I can carry out phone conversations in a normal speaking voice at 60 or 70 mph. And the people at the other end are hearing me with exactly the same clarity as if I were using the phone handset directly.

Now if only it was fixed a year ago and I hadn't had to yell at the phone over that time.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 15th June 2007, 08:11
Administrator

Not wishing to continually post on this matter but my fix has made a world of difference.

My 07 came with the official fix as per a photo posted here some time ago.

When I used the HFT the missus said "You sound a hundred miles away".

After my fix with the foam I called her from the same place at the same speed and the reaction was that I was now very clear compared to the previous attempt.

I have since used the HFT at all speeds, including some illegal ones and I am still as clear as a bell.

As has been said, all you need is a piece of foam to close the airgap between the mic and the plastic grill. It needs to be a solid rectangle to close all the gaps.

Unlike the official fix which involves a strategy of cutting 2 small holes in their wafer thin EPT I just cut one big hole to the same total dimensions.

Fortunately the foam I used acts like velcro on the Honda EPT tape so I could position it perfectly before clipping the grill back in place.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 8th October 2008, 22:35

I have just picked up my May 07 civic on friday, and it seems to pick up most commands but it takes quite a long time to recognise them and at motorway speed there is a lot of background noise. I think that it has had the fix done (althogh I dont know what it would look like without it!) - there is a very thin (like a couple of mm) black foam on it with two different size holes in it.......is this the Honda fix? I am keen to try the draught excluder fix, but was wondering if i should try and rip this thin cover off first, or leave it then put the strips of draught excluder on top of this around the edge like I have seen in a post of Pottsys in another thread??

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page