Phone iPhone and HFT - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 16th October 2011, 06:31 Thread Starter

iPhone and HFT

Hi. For the length of time I have had my civic i have never tried this but wonder if it's possible to control the voice controls on the iPhone by holding down the call button on the steering wheel?

You should be able to do this with the iPhone on a Bluetooth headset but I know the HFT is not like "most" Bluetooth headsets.

Really interested in this for the Siri stuff on the 4S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 16th October 2011, 12:23
The fat controller

Car: 2018 Civic 1.5 prestige
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamholam View Post
Hi. For the length of time I have had my civic i have never tried this but wonder if it's possible to control the voice controls on the iPhone by holding down the call button on the steering wheel?

You should be able to do this with the iPhone on a Bluetooth headset but I know the HFT is not like "most" Bluetooth headsets.

Really interested in this for the Siri stuff on the 4S
I don't think it would work. The way to activate Siri is to hold down the Home button on the iPhone. By pressing down the call button on the HFT Siri won't be activated. But try it and see if I'm wrong.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 17th October 2011, 14:33

I have had a quick test using Siri on my Accord HFT. As suspected it doesn't quite work.

When you activate Siri on the phone it tries to use the Bluetooth, and stops your music playing. However, when you press the button on your steering wheel, the HFT system obviously thinks that you are giving it an instruction, rather than sending it direct to the phone, and just responds "Pardon"

It is how I suspected, and is actually a problem as having the HFT connection enabled means that you can't use Siri in the car, as I can't find a way of stopping it from using the Bluetooth for Siri.

However, when you think about it, the point of the HFT system is that it is hands free, which the iPhone 4S effectively is with Siri. I've just turned off the HFT system in the car and by leaving the phone by the gear lever, I can just use it directly on hands free. The only problem is that it is slightly harder to reach for the iPhone home button than it is for the steering wheel control.

The voice recognition on the iPhone is streets ahead of the Honda system, and I tested it by asking some questions whilst driving. It did pretty well.

Hope that helps.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th October 2011, 19:25

Having had another play with this today, it seems that I was wrong before.

When you activate Siri on the iPhone it does use the HFT system, but only for output. The phone is still listening for input through its own microphone.

This means that you can actually use Siri and the HFT system together. It stops playing music through the car system and any output from the phone comes through the car speakers.

I think I will use Siri in future for making calls, as it is using the Phones address book directly, rather than the last sync that you did with the phone. The Siri voice recognition is much better than the Honda one. No more "Hash 5 9, do you want to call" replies.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 30th October 2011, 23:31
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithJenner View Post
Having had another play with this today, it seems that I was wrong before.

When you activate Siri on the iPhone it does use the HFT system, but only for output. The phone is still listening for input through its own microphone.

This means that you can actually use Siri and the HFT system together. It stops playing music through the car system and any output from the phone comes through the car speakers.

I think I will use Siri in future for making calls, as it is using the Phones address book directly, rather than the last sync that you did with the phone. The Siri voice recognition is much better than the Honda one. No more "Hash 5 9, do you want to call" replies.
just saw your post on this which got me curious about your setup for this..

so your iphone is connected through the hfu, and you dial by pushing the home button on iphone and then using the phones voice activation.. so how does this integrate with the car? does it show who you're calling etc still?

also have you tried this with the phone plugged in so it can play music too?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 17th July 2012, 22:18

Hi guys.
Only had my EX for 4 days and calling from the car is a real pain, I have found it easier with the iPhone 4 to call a number from the phone and then transfer the call to the car kit. I ask the built in system to call someone and it rarely gets it right, thinking of putting names in full rather than just first name to see if that works. Answering a call is fine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 17th July 2012, 22:36

Hi I have had the same problem with voice activation, however it does get a bit better over time for some reason, think it might be more a case of training yourself how the be consistant in saying names..

I've found it accurate at registering numbers if you say them out in full but thats annoying becasue i don't know many numbers in full without having to read them out..

The method Ifind myself doing alot of is manually calling someone on speaker phone and then switching to HFT as soon as they've answered. A bit annoying still but not as bad as the others.

Last edited by Jettt; 17th July 2012 at 22:39.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 18th July 2012, 13:25
iVTEC, do you?

Car: 2009 CTR, Red
Quick and easy way... dial on the phone, then quickly hang up.... Then just tell the car to "redial"... it will redial the last number the phone called.

5 years with the EX, takes a while to learn the quirks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 8th October 2012, 23:14

Dial on phone, hang up and then use redial.
I call my wife to tell her I'm on my way home, pre plan if its a one off call and set it up before you start driving and you stay safe and legal.
Thanks for the advice egomaniac.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Tags
bluetooth , control , iphone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page