VSA VSA - on or off, or what!? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 109 (permalink) Old 25th June 2007, 09:07 Thread Starter

Question VSA - on or off, or what!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type S Bournemouth View Post
Cant see the point in that. Have an important safety feature switched off as standard would just be silly.

I've only ever had it come on while I've been in a 'high state of concentration'. I'd like full control of my car during these periods.

I'm sure that if VSA was that important Honda would have saved themselves the cost of a VSA on/off switch.

I've had VSA for just over two months so I must have been really lucky to survive the last 19 years of driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 (permalink) Old 25th June 2007, 11:09
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
You do have full control when it is switched on. It only comes on when its needed. But at end of the day its your decision but dont come running should you ever of needed it(hoping you never do of course) to hopefully save a serious situation which you never know when is gonna happen.
post #3 of 109 (permalink) Old 25th June 2007, 21:32
Harris Tweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik2k View Post
I've only ever had it come on while I've been in a 'high state of concentration'. I'd like full control of my car during these periods.

I'm sure that if VSA was that important Honda would have saved themselves the cost of a VSA on/off switch.

I've had VSA for just over two months so I must have been really lucky to survive the last 19 years of driving.
When I picked up my new car today, I asked the Sales chap why I would ever want VSA 'off'. He said "it is not recommended to have it on in snow, otherwise, it is normal to keep it on all the time".

This seemed sound advice to me.

Anthony.

post #4 of 109 (permalink) Old 25th June 2007, 21:45
FWH
Supporter

Car: MX-5, C6 Vette & MB S212
Thanked 1,029 Times in 772 Posts
Why not in snow???!!?
That´s when I would have thought it to be most useful?

post #5 of 109 (permalink) Old 25th June 2007, 23:05
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWH View Post
Why not in snow???!!?
Thats when I would have thought it to be most useful?
think the dealer should have said when trying to get moving in deep-ish snow - with traction control on you can't get moving, 'cos it kicks in too quickly and often.

MM
post #6 of 109 (permalink) Old 25th June 2007, 23:52
Harris Tweed

Quote:
Why not in snow???!!?
Thats when I would have thought it to be most useful?
I can only assume that it is normally designed to work when the wheels are experiencing different degrees of traction and the system attempts to even things up. If all the wheels have lost traction (such as when stuck in snow) then the system cannot balance the traction before it goes out of balance again and then proves to be worse than having no control system at all.

The handbook (p.342) refers to this and discusses the rare and specific situations when it might be appropriate to switch off the VSA (albeit temporarily).

Hope this helps...

Anthony.
post #7 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 10:12
FWH
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I can only assume that it is normally designed to work when the wheels are experiencing different degrees of traction and the system attempts to even things up. If all the wheels have lost traction (such as when stuck in snow) then the system cannot balance the traction before it goes out of balance again and then proves to be worse than having no control system at all.

The handbook (p.342) refers to this and discusses the rare and specific situations when it might be appropriate to switch off the VSA (albeit temporarily).

Hope this helps...

Anthony.

Yes, there is a differance between DRIVING on snow and being STUCK in it.

post #8 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 10:22
Harris Tweed

Quote:
Of course. I was just trying to be helpful, by indicating what the answer to my question of the dealer on this topic was. And subsequently what the handbook had to say to clarify the point.

Personally I see no point in turning off a good safety feature unless there is a very good reason to do so.

Anthony.
post #9 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 11:10
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Type S Bournemouth Send a message via MSN to Type S Bournemouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Of course. I was just trying to be helpful, by indicating what the answer to my question of the dealer on this topic was. And subsequently what the handbook had to say to clarify the point.

Personally I see no point in turning off a good safety feature unless there is a very good reason to do so.

Anthony.
Agreed with you there totally. Just no point in having it switched off as it makes no difference to the drive. I think some people seem to think there clever by having it switched off.
post #10 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 11:28

Quote:
Well I've had the car just long enough to experience some snow/ice, and I find the VSA well balanced in not over-reacting when you lose grip.
The VSA button is also readily accessible in those rare occations you'll need to switch it off (when you need to get loose from snow or trying to retain your speed in very slippery uphill slopes).

A maybe silly question: Does the ABS work when VSA is switched off?
post #11 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 19:22 Thread Starter
** Thread starter **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type S Bournemouth View Post
Agreed with you there totally. Just no point in having it switched off as it makes no difference to the drive. I think some people seem to think there clever by having it switched off.
You're probably right about some people thinking they're clever. Some of us just get irritated by the flashing light and the cutting revs. It therefore makes a difference to the drive for me and so there is a point to me in switching it off.

I doubt that I, or many others for that matter, will ever have a situation where VSA will make or break the outcome. Sensible, sedate driving will surely not warrant the VSA to kick in. Those moments where I feel up to a more brisk pace (and the only times when the VSA has kicked in) I am more alert and prepared for the unexpected and am confident that I can suitably control the vehicle.
post #12 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 19:43
Supporter

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
As per the 'driving with lights on thread' - moved out of the 'what software upgrades' into a discussion of its own
post #13 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 19:57
FWH
Supporter

Do also note where those of us who appriciate VSA live.
Sweden, Norway...

post #14 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 19:58
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHGH View Post

A maybe silly question: Does the ABS work when VSA is switched off?
Not a silly question! Sure you're not the only one wondering. The ABS is a seperate system to the VSA, pretty much every car on the road has ABS, its not a safety standard.
post #15 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 20:01
King of the rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik2k View Post
I doubt that I, or many others for that matter, will ever have a situation where VSA will make or break the outcome. Sensible, sedate driving will surely not warrant the VSA to kick in. Those moments where I feel up to a more brisk pace (and the only times when the VSA has kicked in) I am more alert and prepared for the unexpected and am confident that I can suitably control the vehicle.
Possibly, but by saying that you are basically saying that there is no need for the system at all, which is incorrect. Perhaps it will take being caught out by something unexpected to change your opinions.
post #16 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 22:15

The VSA is not a traction control system. It is a much simpler system that applies the break to the wheel that is slipping. This can make the car handle very unpredictable when cornering and impossible to driver in conditions of low traction.

This also is a factor in the excessive break wear being seen on many civics
post #17 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 22:33
King of the rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by B01JAMES View Post
This can make the car handle very unpredictable when cornering and impossible to driver in conditions of low traction.
What does that mean in English?
post #18 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 23:01
Supporter

Car: Jag XF 3.0
Thanked 2,774 Times in 824 Posts
Eco display
Send a message via Skype™ to Pottsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by B01JAMES View Post
The VSA is not a traction control system. It is a much simpler system that applies the break to the wheel that is slipping. This can make the car handle very unpredictable when cornering and impossible to driver in conditions of low traction.

This also is a factor in the excessive break wear being seen on many civics
The VSA system is a TCS. And a whole lot more. It is a very capable stability system that uses numerous inputs to control the car using brakes and throttle (torque) control from the engine.

This article explains a little more:

http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php/VSA
post #19 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 23:17
Supporter

Interesting article

An interesting article Pottsy.

I see that it "learns" the driver's normal braking pressure, to determin when a Panic situation occurs. Do you know how this deals with more than one driver?

The reason I ask is that I used to have an Lexus IS200 and if you poodled around town for a few days, it "learnt" you were a sedate/gentle driver and de-tuned the throttle response. Enter the situation of trying to pull out in to fast moving traffic and the b*gger wouldn't accelerate properly.

Personaly I am a fan of safety featurs (ABS, EBD etc. etc.) BUT as a software designer/programmer I am always nervous of someone else's code!!
post #20 of 109 (permalink) Old 26th June 2007, 23:28

I have to say that the VSA comes in much later than other cars I have driven so it seems like sense to keep it on - meaning you can have a good deal of fun without the yellow light keep flashing at you!

Last edited by spsducati; 26th June 2007 at 23:28. Reason: spelling!!

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page