Speedo 10% speedo over-read = 10% more mileage??? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 28th June 2007, 22:28 Thread Starter

10% speedo over-read = 10% more mileage???

Was just thinking - it is a well known fact that the Honda Civic (and many other cars') speedos over-read by approximately 10% - does this mean that the mileometer reading also over-reads by 10%? i.e when the mileometer states 10,000 miles i have infact only travelled 9,000?

As a second point this overread no doubt accounts for the rather optimistict MPG figures that the civic outputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 28th June 2007, 22:38
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
No, the odometer is seperate and is required by law to be as accurate as possible. The difference in speed is deliberate. Your milage will be as accurate as possible.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 28th June 2007, 22:43
Foglight Covers FORSALE

at higher speeds the speedo is more accurate, as an indicated 130 works out at a true 125.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 29th June 2007, 21:23

I done a long trip 2 weeks ago mainly on A roads on cruise control, my speedo was reading 70 MPH and my Garmin sat nav said i was doing 66 MPH.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th June 2007, 08:05
Administrator

Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,431 Posts
I have noticed that at under 10mph it is only about 1 or 2mph out but once you are above 10mph it is roughly 4-6mph out.

What I find slightly embarrasing is that the speedo is clearly visible to others drivers and I wonder if their speedo is more accurate and they are wondering who has the problem.

This is why we know that the C4 speedo is accurate as per the SatNav devices, because we can see it from another vehicle.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 5th July 2007, 23:26
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to DUNCAN
dose any one no about the fix for the speedo??. read in topgear there is one..
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 6th July 2007, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNCAN View Post
dose any one no about the fix for the speedo??. read in topgear there is one..

All sppedos are designed to be like that, there wont be a fix!
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 7th July 2007, 11:33
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Maldax
Mine is 3! always 3mph out well not always is does go down to 0
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 7th July 2007, 12:17

I wonder if it is possible to have the speedo re-calibrated like the Police do. Its annoying to drive for an hour, to find that you haven't travelled the full distance. I know mine reads low, so I drive over speed to compensate. If I knew it was accurate, I would drive on the registered speed. My trip to work takes an hour and a half registering 77mph on the speedo. its mostly Motorway and 'A' Road, so it would make a big difference if I drove at 70 as my speedo shows. My Garmin shows 70mph when the speedo shows 77mph! allowing for the 30 zones I pass through, I would probably be 6 miles further away from work in the same time span. Its just not right!

What do you think CZ, Recalibrated or not?
Should the Driving Public demand accuracy?
Should it not be considered a Fault for Recall as a Safety Issue?

If it was a Weigh Scale, it would be illegal under the Weights and Measures laws!
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 7th July 2007, 21:42
King of the rodeo

Send a message via MSN to czechplastik
Quote:
Originally Posted by WavyD View Post
What do you think CZ, Recalibrated or not?
Should the Driving Public demand accuracy?
Should it not be considered a Fault for Recall as a Safety Issue?
I don't think it would benefit anyone other than the public, most people don't realise their speedos over read. I don't think it would be something that would be calibrated as generally it is a safety feature. The cost of adjusting the speedos of all the cars on the road would not be viable.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 7th July 2007, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechplastik View Post
I don't think it would benefit anyone other than the public, most people don't realise their speedos over read. I don't think it would be something that would be calibrated as generally it is a safety feature. The cost of adjusting the speedos of all the cars on the road would not be viable.
Its amazing how many people do realise and so go that little bit faster. I make allowances to allow me to travel at the legal speed, but I know a lot of people who factor in the "under read" on the speedo and then make use of the 10%+2 to allow them to speed!

As for the cost, all I can say is - "If they made them properly in the first place!"

In my mind, safety features are Anti Lock Brakes, Traction Control and Air Bags etc. Blatantly inaccurate equipment is just faulty!
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 10th July 2007, 12:36
Smell My Cheese!

Most SatNav systems assume you are not travelling at the posted speed, so an ETA given on any SATNAV is usually wrong, on a clear road you should always be early.

As for the difference between travelling for an hour and a half at 70 or 77 and being 6 miles further away from the Office, do you not remember what your office looks like, my rule of thumb, when I get to the car park I parked in the last time I was in the Office I know I am there!
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 11th July 2007, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich View Post
Most SatNav systems assume you are not travelling at the posted speed, so an ETA given on any SATNAV is usually wrong, on a clear road you should always be early.

As for the difference between travelling for an hour and a half at 70 or 77 and being 6 miles further away from the Office, do you not remember what your office looks like, my rule of thumb, when I get to the car park I parked in the last time I was in the Office I know I am there!
In my line of work, the office travels with me and its not always in the same place!

What I was saying, is that my GPS unit gives me a speed readout when not programmed with a trip. It shows me travelling at 70mph when the speedo shows 77mph. If you travel any distance to work, it makes a big difference to your physical travel times and its a long enough day already!
I leave the house at 6.25am and arrive home @ 5.45-6pm. I think that 11.25 to 11.5 hours out of the house is long enough for anyone, without artificially elongating your trip to and from work!
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 11th July 2007, 09:06
Supporter

Car: Mazda MX-5 (lightly modded)
Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,415 Posts
I use my Talex which is very accurate. The innacurate digital readout is vey annoying though. Shame theres no fix. I'll just have to watch the Talex instead
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 11th July 2007, 09:43
Smell My Cheese!

Quote:
In my line of work, the office travels with me and its not always in the same place!

What I was saying, is that my GPS unit gives me a speed readout when not programmed with a trip. It shows me travelling at 70mph when the speedo shows 77mph. If you travel any distance to work, it makes a big difference to your physical travel times and its a long enough day already!
I leave the house at 6.25am and arrive home @ 5.45-6pm. I think that 11.25 to 11.5 hours out of the house is long enough for anyone, without artificially elongating your trip to and from work!
Sorry WavyD, I was being facecious (SP?), but surely you have to travel along way at a constant speed to realise this noticeable time difference, if you travel 200 miles at a constant speed then the difference between 77mph & 70mph is around 15 minutes, I can't remember the last time I drove for over 2 hours without having to slow down at some point, not to mention the fact that it is dangerous not to take frequent breaks, especially if you have been working long days. The length of your day is similar to mine, I can appreciate its nice to get home. I find a compromise is the best way, when you can stick the cruise control on a figure between 70 & 77.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 11th July 2007, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshtom View Post
As a second point this overread no doubt accounts for the rather optimistict MPG figures that the civic outputs.
Does it really matter?

I'd drive my Millie if it was only doing 30 mpg.

Tis the motor I've gone for not the fine art of fuel consumption!

"I never knew what happiness was 'til I got married. Then it was too late!"

Charles H.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 11th July 2007, 11:36
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_Harding View Post
Does it really matter?

I'd drive my Millie if it was only doing 30 mpg.

Tis the motor I've gone for not the fine art of fuel consumption!

"I never knew what happiness was 'til I got married. Then it was too late!"

Charles H.
Spot on CH!

Life's to short to get anal about speedo's over reading, effect on mpg etc.

Does it really matter?

Just enjoy the car and driving it!
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 11th July 2007, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich View Post
Sorry WavyD, I was being facecious (SP?), but surely you have to travel along way at a constant speed to realise this noticeable time difference, if you travel 200 miles at a constant speed then the difference between 77mph & 70mph is around 15 minutes, I can't remember the last time I drove for over 2 hours without having to slow down at some point, not to mention the fact that it is dangerous not to take frequent breaks, especially if you have been working long days. The length of your day is similar to mine, I can appreciate its nice to get home. I find a compromise is the best way, when you can stick the cruise control on a figure between 70 & 77.
If you owned a watch that didn't show you the correct time, you would have it fixed or send it back would you not? Why not the Car? I have a cheap £60 Pulsar Chronograph Watch that keeps accurate time (to the second) and a Rolex costing £2,750 that also keeps perfect time (to the second) both cost considerably less than any car, so why can the speedo not be made accurate? Its more about accuracy than anything else. My Wife says that I have a mild form of OCD because things like this get on my nerves, until I get them fixed. I also have a problem with everything else that is not up to my expected standards (possibly why I'm good at my job!).
EvilSmall.jpg
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 11th July 2007, 21:23
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo51 View Post
I use my Talex which is very accurate. The innacurate digital readout is vey annoying though. Shame theres no fix. I'll just have to watch the Talex instead

Its accurate as long as it 'See's' the satellites. I have the same unit and trusted it implicitly until a couple of weeks back during a heavy downpour of rain then it insisted that I was travelling at 50 mph when the speedo was indicating 35
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 11th July 2007, 21:46
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to DUNCAN
Quote:
If you owned a watch that didn't show you the correct time, you would have it fixed or send it back would you not? Why not the Car? I have a cheap £60 Pulsar Chronograph Watch that keeps accurate time (to the second) and a Rolex costing £2,750 that also keeps perfect time (to the second) both cost considerably less than any car, so why can the speedo not be made accurate? Its more about accuracy than anything else. My Wife says that I have a mild form of OCD because things like this get on my nerves, until I get them fixed. I also have a problem with everything else that is not up to my expected standards (possibly why I'm good at my job!).
Attachment 4688
100% whith you. honda can fix this.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page