Electrics cigarette lighter socket issue. - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th December 2011, 12:25 Thread Starter

cigarette lighter socket issue.

basicly when i plug anything into my cigarette lighter i get a really high pitched sound and the device and wire that i plug into the socket gets hot to the point i burnt myself... i think it would have caught fire if it was in any longer... ive since tried a few other things in case it was just the cable but they all do it and its killed my tom tom..

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th December 2011, 12:27
COTM Feb 2012

Car: Aston V12 Vantage S
Short somewhere possibly! Definately a trip to the dealers! Also ask for a replacement tom tom as your car has killed it!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th December 2011, 17:50
...............Daedalus

Car: CW Type R No. 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyG View Post
basicly when i plug anything into my cigarette lighter i get a really high pitched sound and the device and wire that i plug into the socket gets hot to the point i burnt myself... i think it would have caught fire if it was in any longer... ive since tried a few other things in case it was just the cable but they all do it and its killed my tom tom..

any ideas?
Weird. The only think I can think that would cause the wire to get that hot that quickly is A LOT of resistance. What's causing it though is another matter.
If you haven't got a multimeter to diagnose it yourself then get it down to your dealer to get it checked out like Guitaralmond said.

They won't replace your TomTom but that might be covered by your insurance?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th December 2011, 17:58
COTM Feb 2012

Car: Aston V12 Vantage S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpn_daedalus View Post
Weird. The only think I can think that would cause the wire to get that hot that quickly is A LOT of resistance. What's causing it though is another matter.
If you haven't got a multimeter to diagnose it yourself then get it down to your dealer to get it checked out like Guitaralmond said.

They won't replace your TomTom but that might be covered by your insurance?
I would say they would replace the tom tom, if they can prove its not working correctly its Honda's fault!

Or alternatively if they offer a Honda OEM portable built in system instead THROW YOURSELF OFF A BRIDGE BEFORE YOU ACCEPT IT! lol its that bad
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th December 2011, 18:15
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
I wonder if the polarity of the socket is connected up incorrectly. There are two connectors underneath the socket, if they have been mixed up then it will explain why it's damaged your TomTom.

On some cars the socket has been known to come loose and pull straight out. If this has happened to the previous owner (assuming you didn't buy it new) maybe the connectors came off and were reconnected the wrong way around.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 14th December 2011, 21:58
...............Daedalus

Car: CW Type R No. 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaralmond View Post
I would say they would replace the tom tom, if they can prove its not working correctly its Honda's fault!
Maybe. I was just thinking if it's down to wear and tear you can't really blame Honda for that, whereas if it was caused by a fault at manufacturing or servicing then they should pay for a replacement.

No harm in trying though
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th December 2011, 08:44
Bog
Supporter

Car: 2016 CR-V 1.6 160 4WD
Eco display
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimplyred View Post
I wonder if the polarity of the socket is connected up incorrectly. There are two connectors underneath the socket, if they have been mixed up then it will explain why it's damaged your TomTom.

On some cars the socket has been known to come loose and pull straight out. If this has happened to the previous owner (assuming you didn't buy it new) maybe the connectors came off and were reconnected the wrong way around.
But its a T Shape connector, so impossible to plug in the wrong way around... Possible the cables have been crimped in the connector during manufacture.

Interesting the fuse has not popped...

My guess is that either the Tom Tom has developed a fault itself and drawing to much power... The accessory circuit is protected up to 10A and The Tom Tom charger converts to 5v 2A (USB Standard)... If the charger has gone wrong, then this will fry the Tom Tom.

Another possibility is that something else is drawing power form the Accessory circuit. Maybe the previous owner had something fitted (Tracker, parrot etc.) that's hidden away under the dash that you cant see.

I know this should not cause the other items on the circuit to overheat or draw to much current, but something weird does go on!

When installed my first TV unit to the car, it had an internal fault (unknown to me at the time), so every time I connected to the accessory circuit, the wires would smoke and get very hot, BUT so did whatever else was plugged into the other ciggy socket (phone charger )..... but the loom going to the socket was unaffected ???
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th December 2011, 08:49
Administrator

Thanked 1,835 Times in 1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog View Post
But its a T Shape connector, so impossible to plug in the wrong way around... Possible the cables have been crimped in the connector during manufacture.
Ahh didn't realise that. Maybe it is a manufacturing fault then. I'll be interested to hear what the actual fault is.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 15th December 2011, 09:28
Supporter

Car: 2007 2.2 EX, NHB
If you have EX replace the cig lighter socket with one of these

IMAG0438.jpgIMAG0440.jpg

and use it with Bog's Video Switcher V3

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page