Parking Parking Sensor -System Limitations - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th July 2007, 20:52 Thread Starter
Supporter

Parking Sensor -System Limitations

Thought I would post this as a new thread to ensure that everyone gets to read it.
Anyway just to let users know that my parking system ( Honda Fitted) does not give warnings when reversing up to a low wall of 260 mm high. Having checked it out, I get a double beep at 1.2m , then another beep at 0.8m, and nothing after that. Raising up the obstacle height to just below sensor level the systems functions as designed. So beware of low profile obstacles that are below the sensor "line of sight".

I would be interested to hear of others experience.

Ramsay
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th July 2007, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
Thought I would post this as a new thread to ensure that everyone gets to read it.
Anyway just to let users know that my parking system ( Honda Fitted) does not give warnings when reversing up to a low wall of 260 mm high. Having checked it out, I get a double beep at 1.2m , then another beep at 0.8m, and nothing after that. Raising up the obstacle height to just below sensor level the systems functions as designed. So beware of low profile obstacles that are below the sensor "line of sight".

I would be interested to hear of others experience.

Ramsay
Never mind low objects. My Wife reversed into the wheelie bin 2 or 3 weeks ago. The dent on the rear (from the bin handle) is just above a sensor. She swares blind that the sensors didn't make a sound. I think its more to do with her reversing quicker than the speed of ultrasonic sound!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th July 2007, 21:49
Supporter

Thats odd - my other half did that too! thankfully she was in her car and they weren't our bins...!
Took her two 'strikes' before she decided to slow down...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th July 2007, 21:52

That is odd. My sensors pick up even high kerbs pretty well and will give a nice rapid beeping as I'm nearing the kerb.

My sensors definately detect obsticles <1ft high as we have a wooden planter on our drive at about that height I reverse towards.

What I also like is that the outer most sensors are on the corners of the car and can detect obsitcles off to the side, further reducing the risk of bumping into things.

As far as the bins go, I myself have reversed into our wheely bins in my old Civic and managed to cave in a large part of the tail gate

I have reversed quite quickly (as a test) towards a wall and stopped about 12" away, before the sensors even detected it. They then sounded their 'getting close!' super rapid beeping mode. I can easily see someone being able to hit something before the beepers gave their warning. The moral is only reverse dead slow and you will be fine!

Last edited by Bungle; 17th July 2007 at 21:54.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 17th July 2007, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post

I have reversed quite quickly (as a test) towards a wall and stopped about 12" away, before the sensors even detected it. They then sounded their 'getting close!' super rapid beeping mode. I can easily see someone being able to hit something before the beepers gave their warning. The moral is only reverse dead slow and you will be fine!
You are quite right - reversing at 'normal' speeds - you have to be a bit careful, reverse fast - and forget the parking sensors - you will hear the 'bang' first. They are only really reliable and dependable when reversing like a snail! Mine are also rather too sensitive - screaming full solid tone when a foot or so still to go.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th July 2007, 09:31
Smell My Cheese!

I hit a wall in my old car whilst reversing into a parking space, there was a slight incline, I thought I was reversing, I was actually in neutral, thinking to myself, that wall is getting closer, BANG.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 18th July 2007, 09:53 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

I have been trying to find the specification of the Honda sensors, in particular the depression angle. So far the only info I have found in a suppliers advert is 5 degrees. Anyone have other useful details ?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 20th July 2007, 18:39

The full constant tone does happen at about 12". That it how it is designed to work. Remember there is a slight delay with them so if it were set to 6", you'd be risking hitting things. If you know you have a foot of space after the constant tone, just go back a bit further, but when do you really want to be that close to something???

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page