Automation Folding Mirrors on lock down - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 148 (permalink) Old 14th August 2006, 13:13 Thread Starter

Folding Mirrors on lock down

I think that the idea of folding mirrors is great, but when they are folded you cannot see so well behind (prety obvious really!)

Any one any ideas for getting the fold to work from the key fob when locking up?

I have noticed that the fold switch and the door lock switch are together on the arm rest.

Is just a connection to be made between them?

There must be someone out there who can work out a solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 148 (permalink) Old 14th August 2006, 13:26
Supporter

I've thought that as well. When you park you fold the mirrors and then have to crane your neck round to see if any traffic is coming from behind.

As you say, door lock control would solve the problem. Instead of the fold/unfold button it would have been a good idea for a folding mirror on/off switch and have them operate (or not) automatically when locking.
post #3 of 148 (permalink) Old 14th August 2006, 13:45

I'm suprised they didn't do this actually, seems like a sensible and logical part of folding mirrors.

Do they fold with the ignition off? you could check for all clear, open the door then fold up the mirrors....

post #4 of 148 (permalink) Old 14th August 2006, 13:55
Galaxy class starship

Send a message via MSN to Copycat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Chris
I'm suprised they didn't do this actually, seems like a sensible and logical part of folding mirrors.

Do they fold with the ignition off? you could check for all clear, open the door then fold up the mirrors....
No they don't. Another short-coming on Honda's part. They would be a lot better - even a lot safer - if they could be folded when locking doors with the remote.

Honda are already boasting about their upcoming five-star result from EuroNCAP. Maybe they could look into this detail as well. I certainly hope they will.
post #5 of 148 (permalink) Old 18th August 2006, 18:07

Another thing that would be cool if the side mirrors did it, would be to quickly and automatically turn downwards when reversing. It would be easy to see how close your wheels are to the curb and how well you're lined up, without having to mess with your mirrors manually before reversing. And when you're done reversing, the mirrors would return to their original position. Some luxury cars do this. It's just a software thing that would be easy to implement, no?
post #6 of 148 (permalink) Old 18th August 2006, 18:10
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaven252
Another thing that would be cool if the side mirrors did it, would be to quickly and automatically turn downwards when reversing. It would be easy to see how close your wheels are to the curb and how well you're lined up. And when you're done reversing, the mirrors return to their original position. Some luxury cars do this. It's just a software thing that would be easy to implement, no?
I do this manually at the moment, and it would be really useful, but automatically...hmm... you wouldnt ALWAYS want to do this when reversing surely?
post #7 of 148 (permalink) Old 18th August 2006, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen
you wouldnt ALWAYS want to do this when reversing surely?
Actually, I'm not sure. But I can't think of a situation right now where I wouldn't want it to happen.
post #8 of 148 (permalink) Old 18th August 2006, 18:16
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen
you wouldnt ALWAYS want to do this when reversing surely?
Actually, I'm not sure. But I can't think of a situation right now where I wouldn't want it to happen.
Surely for any reversing that doesnt involve a kerb?
post #9 of 148 (permalink) Old 18th August 2006, 18:20

... or a car right next to mine. I don't actually know, because with my Twingo I'm used to using the rear view mirror and just looking around, I rarely use the side mirrors when reversing. It might be a different world with the Civic and its blocked rear visibility (tho I'm going to have a reverse camera). I *do* use them when I'm leaving a parking place and want to see if cars are coming up from behind me. But that's going forwards.

A "turn the mirrors down" button would be dandy, sure, but that would be a hardware change. Unless it was implemented in the EX menu screen behind some command maybe?
post #10 of 148 (permalink) Old 18th August 2006, 18:24
Supporter

I had that on my old Lexus LS430, but I find that if you adjust the nearside mirror on the Civic sloping down, you can just catch a view of the kerb. The offside mirror is the important one for traffic.
post #11 of 148 (permalink) Old 18th August 2006, 18:30
Administrator

Quote:
... or a car right next to mine. I don't actually know, because with my Twingo I'm used to using the rear view mirror and just looking around, I rarely use the side mirrors when reversing. It might be a different world with the Civic and its blocked rear visibility (tho I'm going to have a reverse camera). I *do* use them when I'm leaving a parking place and want to see if cars are coming up from behind me. But that's going forwards.

A "turn the mirrors down" button would be dandy, sure, but that would be a hardware change. Unless it was implemented in the EX menu screen behind some command maybe?
Ah, of course, you don't have one yet The mirrors can be very very handy indeed when reversing around other cars
post #12 of 148 (permalink) Old 5th September 2006, 17:12

Just a small point.
Do the mirrors only fold if the slider LR selection switch is set to left (UK car)?
post #13 of 148 (permalink) Old 5th September 2006, 17:55

HI all, any more news on making the door mirrors fold with the key fob on locking , some clever person must have worked it put i hope ?
its crazy they dont as standard , its very dangerous getting out the car with them folded , especially if you are opening the door as someone goes past on a bike at the time !!
thanks
post #14 of 148 (permalink) Old 6th September 2006, 00:57
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
don't think so Fusion, unless someone is being very quiet about it

I was even thinking of taking a feed from the door locking circuit to the mirror fold switch - but seeing as how they (now) auto-lock at 10mph that might not be such a good idea...
post #15 of 148 (permalink) Old 6th September 2006, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDegs
don't think so Fusion, unless someone is being very quiet about it

I was even thinking of taking a feed from the door locking circuit to the mirror fold switch - but seeing as how they (now) auto-lock at 10mph that might not be such a good idea...
HI ,
i wonder if anyone who understands car electrics thinks its a good idea to connect the door lock circuit to the folding mirros ? it sounds good to me , i dont need the doors to lock at 10 MPH so could give it a go if any could tell me how ?
thanks
post #16 of 148 (permalink) Old 6th September 2006, 09:21
Super Moderator

The other issue with this (could) be that it might be the same feed to lock as to unlock the doors.

This could result in the mirrors folding out when you unlock.

Fine most of the time - but not if you're parked in a tight spot...

For me, the best method would simply be to feed the switch (and the mirror motors) from a permanent live feed so at least you could fold them in with the ignition turned off

But delving into wiring diagrams (even if we had them) to find where the current power feeds are is a little bit beyond my normal '2 hour poke around' limit
post #17 of 148 (permalink) Old 6th September 2006, 23:09
12th June 2006 1.8EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDegs
The other issue with this (could) be that it might be the same feed to lock as to unlock the doors.

This could result in the mirrors folding out when you unlock.

Fine most of the time - but not if you're parked in a tight spot...

For me, the best method would simply be to feed the switch (and the mirror motors) from a permanent live feed so at least you could fold them in with the ignition turned off

But delving into wiring diagrams (even if we had them) to find where the current power feeds are is a little bit beyond my normal '2 hour poke around' limit
Bet a latching switch would work ok - Press to fold and press again to unfold
post #18 of 148 (permalink) Old 6th September 2006, 23:42
Super Moderator

which is exactly 5 stages further on from where my ability runs out
post #19 of 148 (permalink) Old 7th September 2006, 07:50

hi all,
my ability ran out ages ago just thinking about it , we need the help of someone who is an expert at car electrics ?? anyone out there who can help us ? it would be so good if they folded on there own when the door locks !! you would assume you could just connect the lock output to the folding mirror output from the fuse box or whatever and it might work but i guess the problem is not knowing what happens if we get to wrong ?
thanks
post #20 of 148 (permalink) Old 7th September 2006, 08:16

This can be done but no simple answers. The theory of connecting to the central locking circuit direclty could work but has a few issues. It means that you would always have to drive the car with the doors unlocked (kiss goodbye to your auto-locking feature), this could be got around by having a 'sense' wire, which would be connected to a circuit that knows that the engine is running (more complexity). ie engine running -> doors locked = no folding. However, what about when you want to fold the mirrors when the engine is running. ie driving in/out of a garage perhaps.

I know my Bro' in Law's Mercedes has the auto-fold mirror function - I will take a look at how it works. There must be an over-ride which will not open the mirrors on un-lock, as mentioned somewhere else, that could be messy in a tight spot.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page