AC/Heater Heated Rear Window - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 08:56 Thread Starter
Supporter

Heated Rear Window

Has any one noticed that the heated rear window is well........crap. It takes about ten mins for it to de-mist. My old pug would have the thing done in a matter of mins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 09:23
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to basegreen
Yep, it's dire. I steamed up yesterday in a storm, and it took forever. Just as well I rarely use the rear visibility.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 10:46
Smell My Cheese!

I can see there being more complaints about this as the weather cools down. Get ready Honda! Anyone who got there car in the early part of 2005 had any problems.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 11:14

If you have Air Con you can usually help clear the back screen by putting it on for a few minutes as it sucks the moisture out of the air.

Ian
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 11:26
您看了

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky
If you have Air Con you can usually help clear the back screen by putting it on for a few minutes as it sucks the moisture out of the air.

Ian
Good tip. I got my car in 2005 and I always leave the Climate control on Automatic and to date have never had the rear screen fog up while driving. Those times I have used the heated screen (freezing weather etc) I have had no problems at all.
That being said I always clear the windows quickly with a window squeegy/scraper thing (trico) before moving off anyway and will never relly on a heated rear screen to do a job that I can do myself in seconds, happy for the heated bit to play backup (works well in heavy rain from keeping any water standing on the glass for too long).

Winds me up the amount of cars I see early morning with no rear visability because they couldnt be bothered to spend a few seconds making the effort to clear it and are relying on the heated rear screen to do the work, worse are the ones who havent even cleared thier side windows. Its not a hard job to do, takes no time at all, and in my opinion there is no arguement for not doing it (apart from Laziness).

Ps. Rant not directed at anyone here at all, but treat the heated window as a back up only, you should NOT move off without it being clear anyway and no matter how effective the heated screen it will always take longer to do the job than elbow grease .
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 11:54
Smell My Cheese!

When we first starrted to get heavier dews in the night I used to try and let the rear window clear the mist on the outside, well after 10 minutes I got the credit card out and squeegied it. This morning couldn't be botherd, but by the time you get to the end of the street the run down over the roof has cleared window.

In winter I usually go out stick the car on to warm up then go back in the house to collect briefcase, laptop etc. By the time you get back the scraper glides through the melting ice (at least it did on the Golf), its also nice to get in to a moderatly warm car.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 11:55

Wise words CivPilot.

When you say Automatic do you mean you always have the A/c button pressed on ? Does this mean the compressor is always on ? I have seen in some cars that there is an "Econ" setting on the heater controls but note the Civic doesn't have this. Apols if these are idiot questions.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 12:12

I believe that all A/C systems actually switch the compressor off at low temperatures (appx 4 degrees C). This is to prevent the moisture that is being 'taken out' of the air from freezing the Aircon system up.

This can be a problem when the temp is hovering around that figure, as when the temp drops the compressor switches off, and 'dumps' even more moisture in the cabin, making the misting worse.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 12:54
您看了

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlak
I believe that all A/C systems actually switch the compressor off at low temperatures (appx 4 degrees C). This is to prevent the moisture that is being 'taken out' of the air from freezing the Aircon system up.

This can be a problem when the temp is hovering around that figure, as when the temp drops the compressor switches off, and 'dumps' even more moisture in the cabin, making the misting worse.
May I suggest that there is something wrong with your system if that happens as mine has never done that. In fact, I've never even heard of such a thing. I'm sure the compressor switches in and out (most car aircon compressors have a computer controlled "clutch" on the motor to prevent burn out should the system loose coolant) but dumping moisture into the cabin and increasing the misting? Thats a new one on me.

Newboy,
The center of the aircon button on the EX is for "auto". I leave this on and the word Auto appears between the twin temp display (EX has dual zone) and the car keeps the temp you set no matter how hot or cold it gets outside. Remember though, I'm talking about the EX which has proper True dual zone Climate control, not just normal Aircon.

Richierich,
On of my neighbours used to do the exact same thing, until his car got stolen. Not only would his insurance not pay out a single penny(left it unlocked and running, even tho it was just for 20seconds insurance company were perfectly within their rights to refuse payout) but when the police came to take statements etc they gave him a right rolocking as leaving a car running and getting out of the drivers seat is against the law. The copper even told him that they had "no sympathy" for him. So carefull.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 12:58
Smell My Cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivPilot

Richierich,
On of my neighbours used to do the exact same thing, until his car got stolen. Not only would his insurance not pay out a single penny(left it unlocked and running, even tho it was just for 20seconds insurance company were perfectly within their rights to refuse payout) but when the police came to take statements etc they gave him a right rolocking as leaving a car running and getting out of the drivers seat is against the law. The copper even told him that they had "no sympathy" for him. So carefull.
Crikey, I have often thought about that, but the car is round the back of the house with 3 other cars, whoever nicked it would have to walk past me to get to it, although I might think more about it this winter in light of that. The wife leaves hers running round the front, but who'd nick a 9yr old AX diesel, unless some Chav wanted to pimp it.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich
Quote:

Richierich,
Crikey, I have often thought about that, but the car is round the back of the house with 3 other cars, whoever nicked it would have to walk past me to get to it, although I might think more about it this winter in light of that. The wife leaves hers running round the front, but who'd nick a 9yr old AX diesel, unless some Chav wanted to pimp it.
It is actually a very common type of car theft, and really easy for the opportunist thief. After all they have the keys and a car that is already running, they also will think nothing of running you down as they drive away.

My friend left the keys in a car on a petrol forecourt, very stupid of her. The car was taken as she went in to pay, no insurance pay out as she did not take care to prevent it from being stolen.

Ian
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 13:35

Thx CivPilot - I don't have my car yet so may well be wrong on this (not for the first time !) but I think there is a separate a/c button to turn the a/c on (on the same control as the fan speed). I know the climate control moderates the temp according to the setting. My question is do you have both the Auto button and the a/c button pressed on or is it if the Auto is on, then a/c kicks in and out depending on temp setting and you don't need to have pressed the a/c button.

Does this make sense ?
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newboy
Thx CivPilot - I don't have my car yet so may well be wrong on this (not for the first time !) but I think there is a separate a/c button to turn the a/c on (on the same control as the fan speed). I know the climate control moderates the temp according to the setting. My question is do you have both the Auto button and the a/c button pressed on or is it if the Auto is on, then a/c kicks in and out depending on temp setting and you don't need to have pressed the a/c button.

Does this make sense ?
If you put the system on Auto then the A/C button is on as well.
If you turn off the A/C button the the system goes off Auto.

Ian
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 13:48

Ian - Thanks for that. I think I need to keep quiet until my car arrives !
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 14:04

Quote:
Ian - Thanks for that. I think I need to keep quiet until my car arrives !
No - feel free to ask, excitement is good, we all had it !

Ian
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 14:25

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlak

May I suggest that there is something wrong with your system if that happens as mine has never done that. In fact, I've never even heard of such a thing. I'm sure the compressor switches in and out (most car aircon compressors have a computer controlled "clutch" on the motor to prevent burn out should the system loose coolant) but dumping moisture into the cabin and increasing the misting? Thats a new one on me.
You would not know that the compressor has switched off. The system will still run the fans and keep the temp to the desired setting, but now using the outside air for cooling/heating.

It normally states in a car manual that the air conditioning/cooling function is disabled at low temperatures. You may have noticed that underneath your car a pool of water forms when the air con is working. This is the moisture that has been produced from cooling the interior of your car. If the outside temp of the vehicle drops too low, this water turns into ice, blocking your system and causing damage- basically you have an ice cube maker.

" May I suggest " a little search on air con theory on the internet. It is very informative
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky
Quote:

Does this make sense ?
If you put the system on Auto then the A/C button is on as well.
If you turn off the A/C button the the system goes off Auto.

Ian
Mine doesn't.

With auto on, the A/C indeeds regulates itslef, coming on when needed, and not when it is not needed. It does not turn on my A/C regardless.
If I press the A/C button, the indicator near the dual zone temp dispaly cycles through A/C ON or OFF. With auto on, it just saus auto, no indication of A/C use.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 14:33
您看了

You function of Climate control runs alongside the A/C system and is, I suppose, and inteligent add on to the system rather than a stand alone. It doesnt work independently as it uses the A/C to complete its task.

For example, if you put the A/C on and set the temperature to 20degrees then the car will pump out air at 20degrees regardless of external temperature. ie, if things get really hot outside and the cabin starts heating up the A/C will still pump out air at 20degrees regardless.

If you put the full Climate control on and set the air to 20degrees then the system will automatically adjust the air depending on cabin temperature/ external air temperature. So it will pump out warm/hot air until the cabin is at 20degrees and then modulate this temperature by reducing/increasing the temperature of the air output as and when needed. So if the outside temp rises into to 35degrees you will find the car pumping out reasonably cold air to keep the interior at 20.

Most impressive bit is the dual zone system, I've driven the car for several hours with my side set at 18degrees and my ex in the passenger seat at a toasty 24degrees, and the system coped superbly with no "temperature bleed" between sides(In fact I forgot she had the temp so high until I reached over to the glove box when we stopped).

Does that make more sence to ya?
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 14:53

Ok, this is getting close to being recycled, this is getting too far OT. To bring this back in line for a bit, I have had no trouble with the heating of the rear window. It says in the manual (i think) that it should not be used to clear rain, ice or snow from the window, only to de-fog the inside. For that purpose it works fine, for me.

On the climate control subject, I have made observations I would like to point out.

With the sytem on AUTO, everything including fan speed, direction, temperature and the use of A/C is controlled and regulated to maintain a steady cabin temperature.
If you overide a part of it, like the A/C, you only cotrol that part while all the others remain automatic. So if you turn A/C on with the button, it only means A/C is constantly on, but all other aspects are still automatic. SO it is still fully climate controled, except the A/C is permanantly on.
If you chose to set fan speed, all other aspects are still automatic, it is just you decided what the speed fans will be at.

Even if you set the criteria for all aspects, the temp, the fan speed, the direction (mode), re-circ, and A/C, the temp you set will be maintained as the cabin temperature, not necessarily the air temperature of the air flowing out of the vents. . It will still regulate the air temp, as the outside conditions change. Remember the temp you chose is for the cabin temp, not the temperature you want the air coming in at. If it is very hot outside, even with temp set on 22 or 23 C, the air from the vents will be much colder. The same 'manual' settings in winter will pump out warmed air into the cabin, possibly a lot higher than the temperature you have specefied until that temperature is reached in the cabin.[/i]
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 15:15 Thread Starter
Supporter
** Thread starter **

WOW...opened a can of worms me thinks.......lol.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page