Electrics been busy... (cig lighter) - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 19:35 Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Car: '08 2.2 NHB CRV
been busy... (cig lighter)

today

extension 3 way cig lighter socket in the pocket under the armrest, powered from the main cig lighter
mic moved to the right
hardwired Snooper from the fuse box, with GPS stuck up near the rear view mirror
played with the sub-menus (but didn't dare change anything LOL)
set to auto lock and unlock

All I need to do now is work out how to remove the lower front grill so I can wire in the laser / radar detector unit for the snooper...

But it's raining, so that'll be a job for the weekend I think 8)

just wanted to share! :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 19:47

You've been a busy boy !!!! Would be great if you could post some pics re 3 way cig lighter and how it looks plus your hardwired snooper.

As you seem to know what you are doing with this kind of stuff can you confirm that if any electrical item can be ran thro the cigarette lighter, thro an adaptor, then it can be hardwired ?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 21:09 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

LOL - dunno about the 'know what you're doing' comment!

I will post some pics up at some point - but we're camera-less at the moment

The 3 way cig thing was pretty straight forward - just undid the 4 bolts to remove the centre console, snipped the wires to the lighter socket and joined in the other lead (to the 3 way) in with a scotchblock

Lead to the 3 way runs out of the under armrest space, via a handy rubber gromet which Honda kindly put it
I've positioned mine towards the front of the space as this is where the gromet is - meaning hidden wiring

Just make sure you use a multimeter to check the +/- is the same for the 3way.

Basically, 1 now have 4 cig lighter sockets (plus the one in the boot), all running at (about) 12v

As to the Snooper - this was a little bit harder...

I don't like cutting into 'main' car electrics after nearly setting a Fiesta on fire many years ago...
So to get 12v electrics, what I usually do is this (with the caveat of - if you try it and it all goes horribly wrong, it isn't my fault! )
Find a fuse which has power when you want it (ie, all the time, with ignition in position 1 or 2, just with lights etc)

Pull the fuse, and find the 'fused' side of the 2 connectors with a multimeter - ie the one which has no current without the fuse in place.
Take the (seperately fused) power lead which you want to get 12v into.
Poke it into the fuse holder on the 'fused' side (see above)
Carefully reinsert the fuse, which then holds the new power lead in place.

After nearly breaking my back to get at the fuses under the dash, and actually braking the fuse puller (flimsiest piece of ***** I've seen in a long time), I decided to use fuse 8 (I think) - in the handbook as IGN2, as it was the only one I could get at that had power when I wanted it.

Obviously, you need to route the power lead to where you want it to go before mucking around with attaching it to the power.

For info, my snooper HU is just to the right of the speedo - the clip on the back happened to be just the right hight to force into the gap above the speaker (if that's what it is) and the dash.

I then unclipped the dash cover above the speedo unit (3 sprung clips and it pops off), and ran the wires to the front of the dash where it meets the window.
This leaves only an inch of exposed wiring, which is about as good as I could get.
Wires then run along the bottom edge of the window (pushed into the gap), to the A pillar, then down behind the vertical cover on the rightmost edge of the dash, through the hole there and to the fuse box.
There's a handy earth point close to hand here too - the bolt you can see facing towards the driver seat - you'll know which one I mean if you get that far

GPS wiring follows the same path to the A pillar, but then goes up the edge of the windscreen, across the top, and down where the rain sensor is.

In general, anything which runs off a cig lighter socket could be hardwired, but you do need to make sure that you include a (new) inline fuse, as this is normally held in the bit which you would plug into the socket - ie the bit you have just chopped off...

Also - use a multimeter to check the adaptor doesn't also include a voltage changer - you don't want to run 12v into something which is only expecting 5v...

And while you're at it, double check that you have the polarity right too

All sounds a lot more scarey than it is really

When I get a new camera, I'll do this post again with pics to show how easy it is
If I can do it, it can't be toooo hard!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 21:53

TTDegs - top response, thxs. I'll await the pics and when I get my car (obviously) before I decide whether I'm brave enough !!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 30th August 2006, 21:54 Thread Starter
Super Moderator
** Thread starter **

Very welcome
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 31st August 2006, 10:05
Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Maldax
I have all my charge cables as USB and have a Mini USB Hub powered from the Cig hole. Will move the Hub when I get my Civ (Next week all being well)

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page