Satnav Is the SatNav clever, or am I going bonkers? - Civinfo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 31st August 2006, 08:22 Thread Starter
Smell My Cheese!

Is the SatNav clever, or am I going bonkers?

On the way back from the Office I set the SatNav to take me home (ensures the traffic warnings pop-up) and when I got to the end of the road it sent me a different way, the way I always go when I ignore its directions, can it learn?

The junction in question is a right turn across a dual carriageway with a large verge in the middle with 2 lanes for turning traffic, I always go straight across onto the cut across and then right at the far end, the SatNAv always tries to send me left at the junction up to a roundabout and back down the other side, so effectively going the same way only a lonoger way round. Also noticed yesterday it took wanted to take me a different way through the Castle Vale housing estate than it normally does.

Whats going on??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 31st August 2006, 09:11
Supporter

Car: 2016 1.6 Diesel, Sporty Blue
I think it bases its decision depending on at what specific location you are at when it calculates the route - coming out of Newcastle last week from JohnDobson st.carpark it appeared to be taking me back the same way I came in (over the Tyne bridge), I got confused when I hit a one-way I'd never been on and there were loads of little junctions I couldn't actually workout which way it wanted me to go so I decided to drive back up past the carpark and see where it took me....

It took me LEFT, then a simple right brought me out at St.James park stadium and from there I switched it off and came across the redhugh bridge as I normally do.

Couple of days ago, I left that same carpark but instead of it taking me LEFT towards St.James Park/Redhugh bridge it wanted me to take a RIGHT - I presume to take me back across the Tyne bridge the way I'd come.

Really baffled me, as the RIGHT turn looked a much longer way around to get back across the river - I just took the same LEFT that it taught me the week earlier!

In an earlier post on here I had reached my destination, time to leave, set it to HOME and was happily following the SAME route back home when all of a sudden at this roundabout where I knew it was straight-ahead, it took me RIGHT and some weird route home that even I'd never been on before???!!!! It got me home and probably in the same amount of time but why the heck it didn't do an exact reverse of the original route is beyond my comprehension
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 31st August 2006, 09:20
您看了

Funny, I used mine to find the 5 possible routes home from my current office (west London) I tried 1 route per day and then decided on the one I prefered. After using the nav on that route 2 or 3 times in sucession the Nav system now defalts to that route if I give it a "go home" verbal command while sitting in the office car park. So it does seem to have limited memory for your prefered/most used navigation routes.

One other thing I can't figure out. The "home" icon.... sometimes it is on the map, and other it isn't showing. Does anyone know why?
It's nothing to do with setting the destination to home on that journey, but sometimes I get home and the icon is on display and others it isn't there at all. I can't find anything in the manual about it so anybody got an idea why the icon seems to vanish/appear at random times?

ps. "coming out of Newcastle last week from JohnDobson st.carpark" - There is really a street called "JohnDobson" in Newcastle? Cool, thats my Dad's name!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 31st August 2006, 10:13

I actually think it learns, as exactly the same has happened to me ... ignore it a couple of times and it starts to plot the route you actually use.

According to the map on the sat nav there are 2 entrances to the road I live on. In reality, one of these is someones driveway and is not accessible. After a few times of ignoring the instruction to turn on the inaccessible driveway, it now takes me the to the correct entrance every time. Clever
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 31st August 2006, 10:36
Cad
estranged

There *might* be something in that.

I travel quite regularly to London City Airport from Crawley. For a while, the SatNav insisted on sending me down the A20, which I ignored. It now, quite rightly, asks me to leave at the A2 junction of the M25.

Civinfo > 8th Generation Euro Honda Civic (2006 - 2011) > Electronics (8G)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Civinfo forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Your User Name is the name that appears by all your posts on the forum, and so should not be your email address.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page