2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

sat nav - toll roads

Satnav 
7K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  TTDegs 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed if the toll roads are included?

Cos I'm on the non-paying side of the bridge I can't check - but could someone from down south set a route for Cardiff when they get chance, and see if the 'minimise toll roads' option takes them up the M5 and across on the M50, instead of over the severn bridge?

please :D

not in the least bit urgent, it's not like I don't knw the severn bridge toll is there, but as it's been there forever if it's not on the sat nav, then possibly a shed load of others won't be either :(

I guess the other one to check could be the M6 toll - but I wouldn't know where to set the destination to in order to use it (or not) :oops:

#29 ·
One of the navigation routing options is "Minimise Toll roads" is it not? So that for me would mean yes, toll roads are included.

Look at the bottom route on Pottsey's image......
Electronics Map Technology Electronic device Gps navigation device

Stupid question but how do you get the above menu (along with it showing the different routes) to appear ? I've had a play with mine but can't find this option anywhere

#4 ·
I can't comment on the M4, but I am certain the SatNav has warned me about the M6 toll and asked for confirmation to proceed with that routing. Or I am going mad and thinking about TomTom.

Although one thing I also seem to remember, but only vaguely, if you navigate to the continent it asks whether you are using channel tunnel/ferry.

#10 ·
karlak said:
karlak said:
Will it also warn if your journey takes you through the London Congestion Zone. TOMTOM does so and is very useful.
Can someone plane a route from where they are into Central London - Say St. Pauls Cathedral - to see if it warns of the London Congestion Charging.
Yep sure does, posts a warning that the route includes congestion charge zones. As an aside to this I would like an option to 'Include Toll Roads' as I detest driving on the M6 past Birmingham and much prefer the M6 Toll, but trying to get the navi unit to use it is hard work if it takes you slightly out of your way.

#11 ·
Looking at the five routings you can choose from, one is 'Minimise Toll roads'.

If you selected the 'Short Route' option I noticed this took you through the central London toll area, so I guess it automatically selects at least one of the routings via a toll road unless you specifically select the 'Minimise Toll Roads' option.

#12 ·
WoolyCivYep said:
sure does, posts a warning that the route includes congestion charge zones. As an aside to this I would like an option to 'Include Toll Roads' as I detest driving on the M6 past Birmingham and much prefer the M6 Toll, but trying to get the navi unit to use it is hard work if it takes you slightly out of your way.
Once you've selected the destination, you should be able to put the M6 Toll in as an intermediate location.

#13 ·
Ancient Nerd said:
WoolyCivYep said:
sure does, posts a warning that the route includes congestion charge zones. As an aside to this I would like an option to 'Include Toll Roads' as I detest driving on the M6 past Birmingham and much prefer the M6 Toll, but trying to get the navi unit to use it is hard work if it takes you slightly out of your way.
Once you've selected the destination, you should be able to put the M6 Toll in as an intermediate location.
Thats the way I do it, would just like the option available then it would select it itself. I suppose I am a bit contrary to most drivers :wink:

#14 ·
I've just got back from visiting in Brum. The Satnav seems to insist on using the M6 toll, even though it is not necessary. I prefer not to use the toll.

When you enter the destination it tells you that it is going to use the toll road, but it does not permit you to reject it, unlike on TomTom.

Can't say I'm that impressed with this satnav software. It's a pity you can't choose what s/w to use.

#17 ·
Excuse me for sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, not having the EX model, but from what I am reading, the nav system doesn't seem so great.

Would I be right in thinking that portable (tomtom, garmin, etc) units are actually better and more versatile than the system fitted in the honda?

I know yours is much more practical and tidy being built in and linked to the HFT, but the POI databse and route options are seemingly poor.

#20 ·
I have never really had any problems with the route options and POI's that I use most (petrol stations, hotels etc) seem OK; the problems seem to be with fast food, restaurants, pubs etc.
As Skinhead says, the fact that it is built-in and therefore non-nickable is the greatest advantage, along with the other benefits you have from the display such as MP3 song listings.

#19 · (Edited)
Replying to Bungle: It's very nice having the satnav built into the car, not having to keep setting up an external system and then removing it from the car as they are very popular to thieves.

In the time I've had my car (two weeks) I'd say the TomTom was better. But I won't be putting it in my Civic as it would look stupid.

With all satnav systems you can't trust them entirely, you have to know about the route you are taking so you can make an informed choice. But it does appear that the Honda variant requires more handling than my TomTom Go 700 ever did.

#21 ·
Oh I definately agree, it is far nicer to have a built in one, for many reasons.

What I was getting at was the system costs a lot of money, and I would expect it to out-perform a £200 - £500 portable system in every way.

And I find my little display absolutely fine for displaying MP3 track names! ;)

#23 ·
for me, the built in Honda one wins hands down :)

OK, I never got past TomTom v3 (I think, the one prior to current), and some of the niggles (lack of post code input) were sorted with the latest version.

BUT - for me, the hassle of having to route extra wires all over the place, still ending up with a p'ugly PDA bracket and advertising to the world that there may be something worth nicking in my glovebox are far outweighed by the Honda version not knowing where the nearest pub / grub is :)

So far, the Honda version has been fine.

Couple of slightly odd moments, such as:

When in convoy up to Nottingham last week, using the 'fastest route' method, the car in front (a work collegue, not a random stranger!) turned left, following his sat nav instructions.
Mine said to go straight on.

Staying in convoy, I turned left, it recalculated, and knocked 2 mins off the arrival time...

BUT - the new route took us through the middle of a town, and by the time we had hit 3 red lights in a row (as it were), arrival time was later than the original route - perhaps it was being REALLY clever! :lol:

All that said - would I pay extra for it if it wasn't std fit in the EX along with everything else, or would I have stuck with an already bought and paid for PDA solution?

Probably would have stuck with my PDA.

But I'm glad I didn't :)

#24 ·
BUT - the new route took us through the middle of a town, and by the time we had hit 3 red lights in a row (as it were), arrival time was later than the original route - perhaps it was being REALLY clever! :lol:
I think it is! a lot of the roads have been driven and scored so it know there were traffic lights etc.

Most of the 'little' ones just weight the journy on the type of junctions you hit

#32 ·
After you put in the address the screen gives you several choices, one of which is 'Calc. 5 Routes' (page 42 in the Nav hand book). It then moves onto the screen with the coloured choices and you select the one you want.

If you have already selected a route you can press the 'Go Back/Cancel' button on the facia (bottom left) and you get the 'Change Route' screen with several choices. The 2nd selection is 'Change Routing Method'. This takes you to the 'Choose Routing Method' screen and you select from 5 routing choices; one of which is 'Minimise Toll Roads' (page 61 in the Nav hand book). Good luck. ;)

#34 ·
Went to Cardiff on the weekend. Didn't tell me the Severn Bridge was a toll bridge!!! Came as a shock ;)

#35 ·
but the border patrols and sniffer dogs didn't ? :wink:

PS - huge apols, didn't think at first :oops:
Not that you wouldn't be, but hope you were very careful aproaching the toll booths - they regularily put a camera van on the 50mph approach zone.
Which is a good thing if you've ever seen 3 lanes of 70mph traffic suddenly diving for the 'shortest' of about 20 queues to pay...
Whilst at the same time fumbling on the floor for the 10p they dropped...
And then noticing that the shortest lane is shortest becuase it's the pre-paid TAG one...

Scary suff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.